Farm improvements

Discussion in 'Member Hunting Journals' started by badlander, Dec 18, 2016.

1. badlander

badlander Active Member

Aug 8, 2014
    Wheat seeded on the 8th is up about 3". Got a couple inches of rain Friday night and Saturday; but our rocky ozark ground eats it up pretty good. I spread a bunch of fertilizer today on all the plots and areas I sprayed earlier.

2. Fuldraw

Fuldraw Fuldraw

Dec 8, 2013
    Planting wheat in the spring?? For plots or harvest I've never know it to be planted in the spring just curious.

3. badlander

badlander Active Member

Aug 8, 2014

Basically just for some springtime green. Will terminate and put fall plots in late summer. The turkey sure are enjoying the newly sprouted wheat though.

4. rat

rat Legbone

Dec 13, 2005
    I doubt he has nutsedge right now, soil temps aren't warm enough.

Badlander... did you add surfactant to the clethodim?

5. badlander

badlander Active Member

Aug 8, 2014

I did add surfactant, and it appears to have done a better job than I first thought. Possible that I just expected to have visible results too soon after spraying.

6. Wings Fan 19

Wings Fan 19 Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2008
    Kansas City, MO.
    I have wheat growing now I planted last fall, it was so dry it never germinated til this spring. I'm gonna nuke it when I plant beans.

7. rat

rat Legbone

Dec 13, 2005
    It is a slow mode of action for sure. Sometimes even though you don't get complete control, you can set it back enough to not provide much competition and eventually it will peter out.
    Kudos for reading the label and adding surfactant. :)

8. badlander

badlander Active Member

Aug 8, 2014
    Obviously, I've not done a very good job keeping up with this thread. I have managed to keep up with the improvements at the farm. Got the renewed plot areas cleaned up and mostly ready to seed. I terminated the wheat and got those areas prepped. I will put brassicas in, in about 1 1/2 acres in a couple weeks. Then put cereal rye in about a 1/2 acre plot around the first of Sept and should have cost share approval by then for the plots being renewed.

9. henry

henry Fan Boy aka Mr Twisty and

Sounds like your making progress. The cost share is a blessing.

10. badlander

badlander Active Member

Aug 8, 2014

It most definately is, and enabled me to get; what should be a much better plan for moving forward. With the assistance; my projects should be a lot more effective, so maybe I can spend a little less time trying to correct failures.

11. dw84

dw84 Junior Member

Oct 18, 2013
    Lincoln co.
    Cost share ? Do you mean like a crp ? Otherwise I didn't know the goverment had a cost share on food plots. Sorry for a dumb question but we're new to the land owning and food ploting.

12. badlander

badlander Active Member

Aug 8, 2014

I don't think they were actually termed as food plots, but check with your plc may be some assistance that's of benefit. u2u at you.