Farm improvements

Discussion in 'Member Hunting Journals' started by badlander, Dec 18, 2016.

1. badlander

badlander Active Member

Aug 8, 2014
    Now that my season is pretty much over I called our PLC and set an appt. to meet at the farm for 1/19/17. We've had the farm since 2011 and been planting food plots, as well as trying to learn how the critters use our place. I finally decided; it's time to getsomeone with more experience and training to come out and see what kind of improvements we can make. I'll try to keep the thread updated as the process moves forward.

2. Keef

Keef Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Clark Co, MO
    How many acres? What percentage is woods and open?

I have had our PLC out many times. They're very helpful. Also, read a lot and see what others are doing, it will allow you to think a little outside the box.

I really enjoy working on our farm. One thing our PLC told me I'll never forget. He said, "keep it fun". And have a little patience, things take time.

3. BC-Buck

BC-Buck Active Member

Feb 2, 2014
    Pike Co Mo
    Badlander- What Co you in? Some on here might invite you for a farm tour to show what works and what doesn't.

4. badlander

badlander Active Member

Aug 8, 2014
    Reynolds county 160 acres and seeing others farms would be a real benefit; as to the progression. Wondering how long to expect before improvements start being noticeable. I realize the disturbance will probably affect patterns and such, but wondered like a year to year difference as things regrow. Any input appreciated, reading some of ya'll threads on here is what has convinced me to jump in. fwiw

5. Maddog3355

Maddog3355 Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2014
    Maries County
    I did 11 acres of TSI last winter. What trees I could fall safely I did and just rung the rest of them. While bowhunting this past fall I walked through there and jumped deer bedding up against the fallen trees. Before the woods where clear and i never seen deer bedded in there.
    I would say if you just ring the trees it might take a couple years to see an improvement but fall several hundred trees and they will start using it.

6. Keef

Keef Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Clark Co, MO
    Trees that have been girdled can present a real danger down the road. You don't know when they will come down.

7. badlander

badlander Active Member

Aug 8, 2014
    Good info gentlemen. The farm has a pretty thick understory now, but mostly all woody type plants with very little in the way of plant growth.

8. Keef

Keef Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Clark Co, MO
    We did 39 acres of TSI. The undergrowth has really come on strong and the oak trees have benefitted as well. The down side, the downed trees make it a jungle to walk through, especially in the summer and fall. I'm glad we did it though. I've seen more deer this year than in the years before and I'm sure some of it can be attributed to the bedding areas we've created.

Don't be afraid to hire a dozer to clear out carefully selected areas for food plots. We did that and it's paid off.

9. badlander

badlander Active Member

Aug 8, 2014

This is good to hear and we've got a couple areas that are probably good candidates. The terrain is typically rugged ozark ridges and valleys. I will be anxious to hear ideas from our meeting. Layout for hunting could benefit from a couple open areas/food plots near bedding areas. The way everything lays right now you have to try intercepting on their way to our large plot, which is typically a destination type plot

10. swat1018

swat1018 Active Member

Jan 1, 2013
    LaBelle
    Don't be afraid to do hard TSI cutting, if needed. I would recommend dividing the farm up and do sections in a rotation. Don't do the whole farm at once type of thing.

11. Judah

Judah Crossbow supporter

Oct 19, 2007
    Warren County
    I'd be willing to host a walk through at my place

To the point you can see definite differences
    Yet some area that haven't changed much to base the changes on

12. Keef

Keef Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Clark Co, MO
    Judah, wish you weren't so far away, I'd like to take you up on your offer.

13. badlander

badlander Active Member

Aug 8, 2014

U2u at you appreciate the offer

14. badlander

badlander Active Member

Aug 8, 2014
    Had our meet with the plc today. Took a tour of the place and had an informative conversation. I feel more comfortable starting this adventure, as we seem to be kinda like minded on several of topics discussed. He is going to work up some info and send to me. We'll proceed from there.

15. badlander

badlander Active Member

Aug 8, 2014
    Followed up with our plc and decided to stick with grassland restoration/ fescue erradication and a permanent forest opening for now. The forest opening won't happen until late fall, so I started with spraying some fescue this past weekend. I also drug the cultivator and disc through a couple established plots. I done some chainsaw improvements to a couple/ three acres where tsi was suggested in our plan a couple weeks ago, sorry forgot to take pics. Made a bunch of difference, but my gut says I quit too soon with the saw. I may have to go back and cut some more out.

16. badlander

badlander Active Member

Aug 8, 2014
    Sprayed the rest of the open areas with gly. this weekend and sprayed clethodium on clover nearest the house, to try cleaning up some grasses.

17. badlander

badlander Active Member

Aug 8, 2014
    Got soil sample report back last week, and arranged to pick up fert. the 22nd and lime will be spread later. I broadcast seeded 250lbs of wheat seed over the weekend into previously worked areas. It appears that I got a fairly good burn with the gly. The verdict is still out on the clethodium spraying; may well have to spray that area again in a couple weeks.

18. BC-Buck

BC-Buck Active Member

Feb 2, 2014
    Pike Co Mo
    Clethodium takes longer than 41% to see the burn down.

19. badlander

badlander Active Member

Aug 8, 2014
    It has just now been 3 weeks; just afraid maybe it was too cool when I sprayed to be effective. I haven't totally given up on it yet; I can see some evidence from various grasses so will give it a bit more time

20. BC-Buck

BC-Buck Active Member

Feb 2, 2014
    Pike Co Mo
    If its nutsedge instead of grass it will not kill it.