Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

· Registered
6,567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve been searching for land with little to no success. The big realty companies are all overpriced and for sale by owner stuff is hard to find. If anyone knows of any ground that comes close to meeting my criteria post here or shoot me a message.
Looking for 60-120 acres
Needs to be within 1 1/2hrs of Jefferson City
Minimum 65% tillable ground
Decent hunting is a bonus but not a necessity.
Under 4,000 per acre

· Land buying addiction
13,978 Posts
That’s going to be tough. I have been listing to the farmers/family day the land is over priced but every year it goes higher and higher. Even buying over priced ground today will probably be a good investment in 3-5 years. There are millions of people who every year say I want property but it’s over priced only for someone else to buy it. My point is you may find a good deal but rarely and if you do you better jump immediately.

· Registered
3,063 Posts
Subscribed. But my situation is worse looking in nemo

· Registered
20,349 Posts
Why the 60% tillable ? I've listened to different theories regarding purchasing farms anywhere from mandatory amounts of tillable to strip pits being the hidden gem when purchasing land..... are you looking to recover some of your investment through tillable ?

· Registered
20,349 Posts
That's going to be tough. I have been listing to the farmers/family day the land is over priced but every year it goes higher and higher. Even buying over priced ground today will probably be a good investment in 3-5 years. There are millions of people who every year say I want property but it's over priced only for someone else to buy it. My point is you may find a good deal but rarely and if you do you better jump immediately.
Agree.... know what you want in a piece of property.... be able to identify a good/bad deal when you see it... and be ready to pounce when you do.

· Registered
6,567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That's going to be tough. I have been listing to the farmers/family day the land is over priced but every year it goes higher and higher. Even buying over priced ground today will probably be a good investment in 3-5 years. There are millions of people who every year say I want property but it's over priced only for someone else to buy it. My point is you may find a good deal but rarely and if you do you better jump immediately.
I've made the decision to buy before years end. I've already viewed a few that make sense financially but aren't exactly what I want....

· Registered
6,567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes return on investment. My family farms but ground around here is stupid high so we're looking to add some property up north.
Why the 60% tillable ? I've listened to different theories regarding purchasing farms anywhere from mandatory amounts of tillable to strip pits being the hidden gem when purchasing land..... are you looking to recover some of your investment through tillable ?

· Registered
646 Posts
I've been searching for land with little to no success. The big realty companies are all overpriced and for sale by owner stuff is hard to find. If anyone knows of any ground that comes close to meeting my criteria post here or shoot me a message.
Looking for 60-120 acres
Under 4,000 per acre
MOFARMBOY; Keep looking there are options out there, I just bought another 42 acres that is attached to my current farm and the portion is 80% tillable.

15,013 Posts
There are 2 auctions in the next week or so in NC part of the state. I will see if I can find them....

tractor sale today near Macon I think, Lolli brothers auctions

okay I found some. besides the one above, a old gun/tools and garden tractor auction today in Macon, Scotty's auction

here ya go, Scotty's auction, 90.5 acres, 60.6 tillable Shelby county April 6th

Larry Heishmann 119 acres in Putnam and 152 in Sullivan 17 miles sw of Unionville April 19th

there is another one some where,...

Scotty's again....April 11th
Atlanta Mo. where ever that is... 3 tracts, 276 total
35 acres tillable
41 acres with cabin
186 pond woods and tillable

hope this helps some of you guys, we talk about buying land now and then, but then it is nap time and I forget all about it...

Reactions: mofarmboy and WBF

· Registered
6,228 Posts
I've been searching for land with little to no success. The big realty companies are all overpriced and for sale by owner stuff is hard to find. If anyone knows of any ground that comes close to meeting my criteria post here or shoot me a message.
Looking for 60-120 acres
Under 4,000 per acre
Come look at my place, its only 30 % tillable I could be in the market for sale

· Registered
21,443 Posts
There are a couple farms north of Columbia, south of Moberly not far from mine that are priced at $2500/ac or less. I think both of them have more woods than crop ground. One is about 100 acres the other is about 120 ac. Let me know if you want more details.

5,653 Posts
Ground is stupid high when compared to return on farming. Cattle can't buy ground like they used to. You have to have a huge chunk of down payment, and then you won't get your money back for 30 years. If you want to buy ground, hope it keeps going up, and then resell it, then it is never a bad price IF you have the capital to makes the payment while it goes up.

The price of pasture has went up 10-12 times in my lifetime. The price of a feeder calf has less than doubled what it was. Old days $250/ac ground, $500-$600/calf. Now $3000/ac ground and $800-$1000/calf. Inputs into raising that calf have also went up.

· Registered
6,567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yep send me some more info if you have any!! We have the equipment available to clear marginal land or clean up to make more tillable.
There are a couple farms north of Columbia, south of Moberly not far from mine that are priced at $2500/ac or less. I think both of them have more woods than crop ground. One is about 100 acres the other is about 120 ac. Let me know if you want more details.

· Registered
6,567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ground is stupid high when compared to return on farming. Cattle can't buy ground like they used to. You have to have a huge chunk of down payment, and then you won't get your money back for 30 years. If you want to buy ground, hope it keeps going up, and then resell it, then it is never a bad price IF you have the capital to makes the payment while it goes up.

The price of pasture has went up 10-12 times in my lifetime. The price of a feeder calf has less than doubled what it was. Old days $250/ac ground, $500-$600/calf. Now $3000/ac ground and $800-$1000/calf. Inputs into raising that calf have also went up.
Agreed!! My dad paid 800$ an acre 25 years ago. I made a 3900$ offer on some marginal ground a few years back and they held out for the full 4300$ asking price!! Seems crazy

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.