fall plot

Discussion in 'Deer Management, Habitat & Conservation' started by Copeman, Jun 2, 2009.

1. Copeman

Copeman New Member

Oct 20, 2008
    Missouri
    Was wonderin what yall would suggest for putting in my fall plot. Im wanting something to mix with turnips, brassicas, clover. I was thinkin somethin like oats or is it to late?

2. Jeremy

Jeremy REGULAR MEMBER

Dec 22, 2006
    i have planted oats with limited success in the fall. your clover wont have a really good showing until the next spring. let me do some checking on what i planted last year...it grew like crazy. and the deer tore it up

3. Gamegetter

Gamegetter Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2004
    To mix into the same plot or another plot? I'd go with wheat if it was another plot, either that or chicory if it was to mix for a fall plot.

4. Copeman

Copeman New Member

Oct 20, 2008
    Missouri
    Same plot. Will chickory not do much for me this fall or will it come up mostly in the spring? Would go with ww but farmer will be puttin ww in behind the beans. With all the beans this summer and just finished up today with my mineral recipie i got off here they outta be healthy come fall. Cant wait to get some cams up over the licks and see what comes in. Ive always been a big deer hunter but havent got into the managment side of it till lately I enjoy it almost as much. Much thanks to all of you guys who provide input to guys like me. This is by far the best site i have found. Thanks:cheers:

5. Rebel2

Rebel2 Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2003
    Ozark, MO
  6. HabitatMD

HabitatMD Active Member

Jan 4, 2007
    St. Louis, Mo
    How big of plot? Have you ever tried turnips or brassiscas? Deer are finicky as heck when it comes to turnips/brassicas. Many vouch for how outstanding they are...I have yet to see it in any of my plots.

Personally I've had good luck with Austrian Winter Peas, ww, and oat mixes. If you wanted to turn it into a perennial plot, sow in some clover and chicory too at the same time. Target planting Sept 1-15 or so.

7. citybowhunter

citybowhunter Senior Member

Feb 13, 2009
    Independence Mo.
    [rquote=1284553&tid=89845&author=HabitatMD]How big of plot? Have you ever tried turnips or brassiscas? Deer are finicky as heck when it comes to turnips/brassicas. Many vouch for how outstanding they are...I have yet to see it in any of my plots.

Personally I've had good luck with Austrian Winter Peas, ww, and oat mixes.[/rquote]

I'll vouch for Tecamote Ultra Forage. I planted it last year and the deer loved it. I will add that I hunt in the city so they don't have as many food choices as the rural deer so I can see where it may not be as attractive to them as it is in my area. .02

8. jmbuckhunter

jmbuckhunter New Member

Last year I planted a mix of buckwheat and austrian winter peas. The buckwheat grows really fast and the deer tore it up. The first frost will kill it but the peas will be growing under the buckwheat and last as long as the deer let them. I guess you could throw some wheat in there and something green for late season.

9. HabitatMD

HabitatMD Active Member

Jan 4, 2007
    St. Louis, Mo
    I've tried, Biologic Maximum, Green Patch Plus, Purple Top turnips and can't seem to get many nibbles. Maybe a little on the rape that was in the Maximum and GPP. Saw a fuzz on the purple tops. Two different places, one for two years, one for three...same result for each... not much doing.

I just hate to see people go through what I did growing some great looking plots only to have them stink to high heavens come spring.

10. Copeman

Copeman New Member

Oct 20, 2008
    Missouri
    This is what i got for this fall. Its evolved habitats seed includes chickory, turnip, brassicas, clover. Leaning towards mixin oats or apeas with it which one yall think.

11. citybowhunter

Feb 13, 2009
    Independence Mo.
    [rquote=1284579&tid=89845&author=Copeman]This is what i got for this fall. Its evolved habitats seed includes chickory, turnip, brassicas, clover. Leaning towards mixin oats or apeas with it which one yall think. [/rquote]

my mix had clover in it and it didn't do anything to speak of in the fall planting. I think it's thrown in as more of an attractant for hunters than deer. the rest of your mix will grow on a wet flat rock. will the deer be attracted to it? i dont' know. others have had no luck where i had great success with what you are planting. i haven't tried mixing oats or peas with the mix but i think you have to worry about over planting and everything struggling for the water and nutrients.

12. HabitatMD

HabitatMD Active Member

Jan 4, 2007
    St. Louis, Mo
    Don't expect to see much clover and chicory this fall. By next spring, it should come on strong, and by fall, you will be in business. So that means you will basically have a turnip/brassica plot this fall. If you want to put your eggs in one basket, then by all means do so, but I'd probably go ahead and seed in some winter wheat, oats or your favorite cereal grain (winter rye, triticale, etc) of choice at roughly 50#/acre. I've seen deer straight tear up AWP. I'm trying to remember seeding rates I've used. 20#/acre...maybe. :confused:

13. citybowhunter

Feb 13, 2009
    Independence Mo.
    [​IMG]

tecamote ultra forage being used this spring. i planted this last fall and didn't really think there was much more than weeds in it this spring. i noticed how much browsing was going on when i went to pull my sd card from the camera and thought i'd share the picture and the spring results of this product.

14. nastyjack63

nastyjack63 Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2006
    osage county
    Dan I know you've not had much luck w/brassicas but the deer flat tear 'em up on my place. I can't imagine going into fall plottin without planning on a patch or two of brassicas.

15. citybowhunter

Feb 13, 2009
    Independence Mo.
    [rquote=1285916&tid=89845&author=nastyjack63]Dan I know you've not had much luck w/brassicas but the deer flat tear 'em up on my place. I can't imagine going into fall plottin without planning on a patch or two of brassicas.[/rquote]

i'm increasing my food plot from two acres to three acres because mine didn't last as long as i would like. they ate them too fast.

16. Copeman

Copeman New Member

Oct 20, 2008
    Missouri
    went and checked my experiment plot of chickory, clover, brassicas today. This stuff is doin very well imo. Finally clover shot up and 75 percent is about 2 3 inches high. Turnips everywhere i belive they are turnips about 5 6 inches high. Everything is thick and looking good gives me some high hopes using it this fall. Thanks for the pics too city!!

17. citybowhunter

Feb 13, 2009
    Independence Mo.
    early picture of food plot.

[​IMG]

18. citybowhunter

Feb 13, 2009
    Independence Mo.
    the same food plot 1-11-09. everything is gone.

[​IMG]

19. Copeman

Copeman New Member

Oct 20, 2008
    Missouri
    Looks like they did a number. Do yall know where i can find a seedling pic of forage chickory??? I tried googling it but came up short:whiteflag:

20. citybowhunter

Feb 13, 2009
    Independence Mo.
    [rquote=1285986&tid=89845&author=Copeman]Looks like they did a number. Do yall know where i can find a seedling pic of forage chickory??? I tried googling it but came up short:whiteflag:[/rquote]

chicory