Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
18,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Watched a show last night on the Outdoor channel where a bog ole Texas boy dug a pit blind in the middle of a cotton filed to take a young man on a buck hunt.

Whats the most extreme thing you've done to try to outwit a deer or Turkey ?

I know of one pit blind story I've heard that I'll let the member tell !!

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
Couple of years ago I had turkey going crazy but would not come to me so I had to crawl to it. The bad thing was the cattle had been in there for a few weeks before and it rained pretty good the night before. After crawling through cow crap and mud (couldnt tell what was mud or crap) I was a mess. When I got home my wife would not let me put my camo in the washer so I put them back on and had her hose me down. Did get the turkey though. One of my best turkey hunts.

·
Registered
348 Posts
three years ago during the second weekend of rifle season, it was about 10:00 am and i was gettin bored, didnt see any deer all day. i start to climb down my 20 foot ladder and im on about the third step when a doe come crashing through the woods. i then hear a grunt from behind her. i couldnt get back in the stand so i post on one of the ladder corners and yell to stop him. it was my biggest buck to date, a 13 pointer he only scored 130 caus eof deductions but it just a score

·
6,643 Posts
A few years back I was coming out of the stand and I met up with my Dad on the river levee. He pointed and said he had just seen the big one with a bunch of does on the west side of the pond levee. I ended up belly crawling halfway around the pond levee in the snow until I had a clear shot at the buck standing on our boat ramp. I could see something behind it, but couldn't make out what it was. Then it became clear. It was my Dad's new truck. I couldn't justify a hole in the engine block even though this was a 14 pt with a 12 inch drop tine on one side. Biggest buck I had ever seen. So my Dad realized I didn't have a shot and started walking towards the deer to push them to my side of the pond. I move another couple of hundred yards down the levee to the field they are going to come out in and I am setting up my shot when I hear something to my left. Just then 3 does come walking up and over the levee I am laying on. One goes behind me, one in front and the last one stepped over me. I about :toilet: my pants. She moves on and then the buck steps out into the field. Just when I had a good shot on the buck he turned right towards me and put his head down to feed. The only shot i had was right between the horns. I passed on it and kick myself every season for it. Not to mention by that time I was very wet and extremely cold. Dad was glad I didn't shoot holes in his truck though!

·
Registered
38,303 Posts
Bear with me, long story...My second biggest buck, I think I got him in 2000-2001...I went to my uncles farm for an afternoon hunt. It was around 2:30pm. He was cleaning out a grain bin, so I stopped the 4 wheeler for a bit to visit with him for a minute. I told him when I left, I'd be back in a bit with my buck!!! He laughed, of course...All week, when the wind was right, I had been riding the 4 wheeler to his big pond, parking it in the tall CRP, to hide it...Well, everytime I did, I spooked about a dozen ducks off that pond...So I said to myself, I said, "Self", don't do that, park below the pond and sneak below the dam, so ya don't spook those ducks!!! So, I parked 150 yds below the pond, down the ditch. I walked steadily, but quietly up the north side of that brushy ditch. As I neared the overflow pipe for the pond, I looked ahead, and saw what I thought was a log there, and skirted around on a game trail....As I got above the "log", I looked down, and saw that the "log" had antlers!!! Right nice ones to boot! So, I'm thinkin this deer has Sooooo busted me, but he keeps standing there. I keep my scope around 5 or 6 while walkin, so turned it down to 3 as I slowly turned and shouldered the ole '06. And I held the crosshairs on him, waiting for him to turn...after what seemed like an hour, but was more like 5 seconds, I just couldn't take it and shot down between his shoulder blades, and as he turned then, behind the shoulder and he went down...I was back at the grain bin to get the Uncle to help me load him in 15 MINUTES!!! Not a real extreme hunt, but the best I got...lol. As far as extreme moves, I've done a bit of belly crawlin, for both deer and turkeys thru the years, my biggest buck, prolly crawled 50 yds to get a good shot at him. Told ya it would be long....lol

·
Registered
84 Posts
This story doesnt involve any antlers but, it was pretty extreme none-the-less. During the last day of December's antlerless season my brother-in-law and I decided to try a little "push" behind the levees of the Missouri river. He had about a mile to walk through the underbrush, it was so thick I could see more than 15 yards. I heard the brush breaking as 5 does bust in my direction at a full-tilt run, one directly at me! I shouldered the 7 mag and found its front shoulder and shot. It dropped at 6 steps in front of me. I thought that was pretty extreme myself.

·
Registered
18,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok my own extreme story or one that was fun and educational anyway.

The farm my ex father in law owns has an 18 acre thicket on it. Henry says you goofy Missourians call it sumpin different than we do, but it's hawthorns to me. Anyway it's rough in there hands and knees only. You cannot walk up right in it. Remember the deer that the coyotes got an hour after I shot her this past late archery season? Same thicket.
Well I was seeing a big buck running around the farm and he lived in there so I decided to go in after him.
It was Muzzleloader season so it was cold but not freezing so the ground was muddy as all get out. I put on heavy leather gloves and knee pads from my wrestling days and crawled in there. I saw a bunch of deer and some incredible sign, but not the big boy. Spent several hours "stalking" from my belly and hands and knees.
It was one of those things that when I finally crawled out wet and cold and thorns stickin in my hand and knees and elbows I said dang that was dumb. Then after I got home and got warm and dry and sat down and thought about it I said man that was awesome !

·
Registered
38,303 Posts
Sounds like a good hunt, 7x...I always say, the nastier that betta!!! I can remember several hunts in bad rain, snow, sleet, ice.....I just hunkered down, pulled up the hood, and grinned...lol.

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
I dont if it was more stupitity or extreme, but one sunday night I fell down the stairs at home and after about an hour I couldnt take it much more so off to the emergency room I went. Turns out I cracked two ribs about and inch from mine back bone. Well five days later I go out to bow hunt for the day. It took what seemed like an hour to climb up the tree. After I got up there I didnt know if I could get back down. The only day hunting I was glad I didnt get a deer. My wife said I was crazy as you know what.

·
Registered
38,303 Posts
My last trip to bowhunt Iowa, the weather during the day had been nice, prolly in the 60's and sunny, wished it were cooler, and frosted in the mornings. Earlier in the summer, they had a tornado come through just south of the property I was hunting, and it had apparently picked up a "hog hut" and tossed it in thier lagoon. So they were pumpin out the hog lagoon, and spreading the slurry all over on everyones farms just to get rid of the stuff....free fertilizer! So, I had the most perfect cover scent all week on that hunt....Ode de Pig.....Also, with the warmer weather, I had been sweating quite a bit, walking to the stand, so on the last morning, heading to a new spot I had hung a stand in the afternoon before, I had strategically placed my tub of camo next to the corner post I walk by on the way in. I wore my socks and boots, and my fruit of the looms from camp to that tub, about a quarter mile...lol....dressed, and another 1/8th to the stand....Right before shooting light, had a doe come along the field edge and hit 3 scrapes, could barely make her out peeing in all the scrapes. A few minutes later, after she wandered off to the north, I heard 2 bucks really going at it to the south....I waited about a minute, and hit my horns together, and grunted twice...The next thing I hear is what sounds to me like a car, on it's roof, on asphalt....turns out it was the nice 8 pt I had been hunting all week, even got some video of him a couple days earlier...he was rubbing a signpost rub that had obviously been hit several years in a row...about a 6" diameter oak. He followed the field edge around to me, sniffed the doe in heat I had put on a corn shuck at about 8-10 yds in front of my stand, and quartered just right. I hit him hi in the spine...made me sick...so, I'm shakin like a leaf, miss him about a foot hi with the 2nd shot, and only have one sharp bhead left, I crawl down...so, he's tryin to crawl off with my meat on his front legs...by now I'm really sick...I nock my last arrow up, and try to flank him and he keeps turning, going directly away...finally, I trot around and head him off...I swear, his eyes turned red, he furrowed his brow, ducked his head, and CHARGED...albiet on his front legs...I have to believe, if he could have gotten his hind legs under him, he would have killed me...he was fighting for his life....I trotted to his left, drawing my recurve as I ran past, and put the last arrow right behind his left shoulder, and he was done for that time....How's that for extreme....yea, another long one....

·
Registered
18,763 Posts
I had scouted and found a big buck a couple of years ago but he was almost totally nocturnal. He wouldn't come out until after dark and would leave a bean field just before daylight getting back to his bed right around shooting time. He did nothing different, just repeated this pattern EVERY day. I took a trip into the timber in the middle of the day and found his bedding area without spooking him out of it.
I let things simmer down for a few days, then woke up at about 1:30 in the morning and drove to the property he was on. I wore my rubber boots and walked in by wading a creek that his bedding area was about 50 yards off of. Once I got there, I headed for his bedding area and found a tree in the dark with my red lensed flashlight. By this time it was about 3:00 am or so. I slowly and as quietly as I could screwed in steps and hung a portable stand and was in the stand and hunting about an hour or so before daylight.
Just like clockwork here he came, headed back to bed, for what I had planned to be the last time. He crossed the creek, I drew my bow, and he walked right by me at about 35-40 yards with no clue I was there. It worked like a charm...I just never had a shot. So, on he went, back to bed, and for all I know he is still alive and well, and an absolute monster!

·
Banned
81,584 Posts
Ok Steve,,,,,,,,,,,,,you had to bring it up did'nt ya:rotfl:

One year one a farm far far from here,,my brothers and I were turkey hunting religiously. Every day late in the morning one of us would see 2 big ole gobblers strutting in the middle of a large field. We tried catching them coming to the field,,,we tried calling them within range of the edge we tried everything. These 2 ole birds would'nt even pay attention to real hens. If a real hen came to them they would just strut away from her, and let her leave. So early early one morning (the middle of the nite) I took my shovel and went to the middle of the field where they strutted every day,,and dug a pit about 2 feet deep and big enough for me to lay down in. I layed there all danged day and no gobblers showed up. That night it rained about 1 1/2 inches and my pit filled up with water. The next morning the 2 gobblers where out there strutting in the mud around my pit:whinging:

:rotfl::rotfl:

:cheers::cheers:

·
Under appreciated
92,555 Posts
Ok... here's my wierd deal...

I went w/my cousin to his inlaws near Laplata bout 10yrs ago. Never hunted that farm so when we got there, I got the tour. We got there on Friday b4 opening morning and there were plenty of stands to choose from. I picked one that had 2X4 ladder steps up to a 4X4 platform in a tree on the edge of a running creek.. homemade dealy. I decided it would be ok and that was that. The next morn, I found my way in the dark, started climbing and about 10ft up on the ladder steps, one of them gave loose and I fell backwards, gun slung on my back, action open (it was a 742 REM with the action open) and ended up in the creek! I had the action full of mud, leaves, ect and made plenty of noise to boot! Not wanting to make any more commotion, I just set myself near the base of the tree, waited for daylight and started cleaning that crap out of my gun best I could. Well, bout 7am, I see the same buck that we had counted out the afternoon prior and I lined up. I squeeze the trigger, and nothing! I cleared the round and noticed that lotsa mud, ect was between the pin and primer and no way was that gun a shooter that morn.

Long story short, my cous smacked a doe, we were helping him dress it and that same buck moves through the timber right near where we were making all that commotion. My gun was the handiest, I raised up, squeezed and she went off! Needless to say, I collected the same buck that got an easy pass about 2 hours previously!

Never forget that hunt.....

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Well, last turkey season I had an accident in basketball and I broke my ankle. But that wasn't going to stop me from hunting. So it was about a week into the season and I was in a cast up to my knee. I was hunting with my dad and we were set up behind our house on the edge of a field. Well, my dad called in these 2 big toms. I shot the biggest one at 40 yards. It was a perfect. As my dad and I were high-fiveing, the turkey got up and took off! Well, I had 2 shots in my 12 gauge so I shot at it 2 more times and hit it 1 out of the 2. Well he crossed the fence and bedded down and we didn't have anymore shells left. I mean really, how many times are you gonna get more than 2 shots off at a turkey? Well anyways, I was kinda skipping school that day. And since we were out of shells, we called my mom on the 2-way radio to bring down some more shells. Well when she came running down there she stoped all the sudden. My dad and me were wondering why. Well we kinda put all the pieces together and realized that my mom had thought the decoys were the turkeys! So we yelled at her to keep running and I grabbed the shells when she handed them to me while my dad spoted the bird. I crutched over there and grabbed the gun. That's when I realized that my mom had got bird shot. We had a sigh of disapointment for a second then we loaded the gun and I shot the bird. My dad went over the fence the 20 yards that the bird had gone. He got it and set it over the fence. There is only 1 bad part to that story... We forgot to turn the camera on! But it was all good though. It ended up having a 10 inch bird and 2 inch spurs. That was my first ever turkey.

·
Registered
18,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
These are great !!!

And fellas this is what missouriwhitetails.com is all about !!

I love it.

:cheers::cheers::cheers:

·
Registered
38,303 Posts
No doubt Steve...gotta love good huntin stories!!! You been riding any out there yet this spring? Doc told me the other day, he wants me off the blood thinner before I start back in...But sounds like it'll happen sooner'n I originally thought.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.