Experts or Salesman ?

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunting General' started by Sully, Apr 15, 2018.

1. Yahoo

Yahoo Well-Known Member

Sep 27, 2008
    St Charles
    Up here in St Chuck a few years ago popped in to BP to get my son some stuff for his birfday. With stuff in hand, crossed in front of the big aquarium and someone is asking me if I wanted a 3 day weekend in Branson or something like that. I said "no thanks" and kept walking, but they kept talking about it too me. I turned around and watched their mouth moving for a few more sentences, held out my stuff, and dropped it on the floor. I told them I came in to buy stuff not be hassled about a weekend in Branson, and left. It was years before I was back in that store, I may end up there once a year?

20' and Lazarus like this.
  2. Cedar Thicket

Cedar Thicket Blonde Bearded Guy

They just work there for the employee discounts.

90acres likes this.

3. rat

rat Legbone

Dec 13, 2005
    I wont be shoosting turks with .22. I leave that to the guys who can still shoot. I have 3.5" shells full of goodness and recoil

fishshooter and callaojoe like this.
  4. Sully

Sully Bait Plotter Extraordinar

Aug 28, 2007
    Truman lake , MO
    You would think ... couple of cases of 10 ga shells would have fit on many of the shelves I passed by ! I about halfway expected not finding what I was looking for in Warsaw walmart & Orscheln but Bass Pro ? What really aggravated me was the sales guy acting like he was going to make a sales to Pink because she didn't know any better ...bad enough the car dealers try to pull that crap

5. Maddog3355

Maddog3355 Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2014
    Maries County
    Sully get you some Nitro Ray turkey shells. There made in Missouri. He can get the goodness out of a Mighty Ten. The factory loaded shells don’t have a nickels worth of difference in them from a 3.5 12 guage. The mighty ten deserves better.

6. WBF

WBF Wolf Brook Farms

Oct 25, 2013
    We're all living in the Information Age. If your purchasing anything from a new/used car to a pair of tennis shoes. You have to be your best advocate.

Sully and BustinBucks like this.
  7. Sully

Aug 28, 2007
    Truman lake , MO
    Agreed however the only info I needed at the time was what shelf the 10 ga shells were on !

WBF, CRE10, Hooks and 1 other person like this.
  8. sharps4590

sharps4590 Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2010
    Northern Ozarks
    Not having your desired ammo had to be a disappointment but the sales person acting as he did? I wouldn't have thought that any surprise at all. Other than the occasional gift card from one of my sons I simply don't patronize either BP or Cabela's. I know I'm a pretty serious firearm and handloading guy and learned long ago I can't even have a conversation with anyone they ever had behind the counter or in Cabela's Gun Library

CRE10 likes this.
  9. fishshooter

fishshooter Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2007
    Reform
    Sad :banging:

10. Mailman

Mailman Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2005
    Blue Springs Mo
    There has been a few times I'm the sales person on the floor. I hear an associate telling a customer something I know is not fact and I have to butt in and give my 2 cents. Can't help it...its just in my DNA I guess. The associate usually backs off and the customer thanks me for my insight.

I'm not saying a 20 year old associate doesn't know his stuff....some do.

11. CRE10

CRE10 No to Drugs Yes to Hugs

Nov 18, 2013
    In a barn
    That's nice of you. Going about it tactfully makes you not sound like a cocky know it all and hopefully the salesman doesn't take offense and learns from it too.

12. Mailman

Mailman Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2005
    Blue Springs Mo
    The only way I know how. :wave1:

BustinBucks and CRE10 like this.
  13. Sully

Aug 28, 2007
    Truman lake , MO
    As someone who was the guy behind the counter for 12 years maybe I'm overly critical or maybe the fact that my name was on the store and my reputation was directly linked to how I treated customers made me think more about showing people respect then making a one time sale . I knew I didn't know it all and learned lots from my customers ... no way I could work at a big box if their philosophy was strictly numbers and pushing merchandise out the door

Bootheel Boy, WBF and CRE10 like this.
  14. 20'

20' Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2017
    I think the orange army is more the type of hunter that the BP or cabelas can inform, just sayin!

15. Sully

Aug 28, 2007
    Truman lake , MO

Best to never assume ... I know some guys that only deer hunt few days a year but are walking enciclopedias on guns and gunsmithing ! Acting as if everyone is stupid basicly pisses everyone off

sharps4590 likes this.
  16. Bootheel Boy

Bootheel Boy Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2012
    SEMO
    I drive an hour further than I have to just so I can have one guy in particular work on my archery equipment. Big box stores may be fine for some stuff but I will gladly pay more and drive further to support a business that has my best interests in mind. Doesn’t matter if it’s archery, fishing, automotive or even meat processing.

20', sharps4590 and Sully like this.
  17. sharps4590

sharps4590 Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2010
    Northern Ozarks
    fish, I'm not sure what you mean by "sad", them or me...lol!! Years and years ago, when I would go into either store, I'd ask to see something and the salesperson often would start telling me about the piece. I'm obviously talking about old stuff. Anyway, in about 3 sentences it would become blatantly obvious the person had no more idea what they were talking about than the man in the moon. If it was a German, British or Austrian firearm it took about 3 words....the sentence didn't have to be completed. I don't know how many times I heard "you can't get ammo for that ol' gun" when I knew darn good and well it was available. That leads to another topic, ammo. It didn't take long to learn whoever I was talking didn't know spit from shinola about the cartridge for which the old piece was chambered. Then, if I'd try to diplomatically explain some things to them about the proofs or the cartridge, they'd get all defensive. I have been in the Cabela's Gun Library, in Hazelwood, twice and didn't even get waited on. After looking over what they had I was somewhat interested in it didn't matter. They were overpriced by about 50% for what they were and the condition they were in.

Now, if I were looking for some new, plastic firearm in one of the newer cartridges, I'd be a babe in the woods.....as if that's ever going to happen.......:D

18. fishshooter

fishshooter Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2007
    Reform
    Sad on their part, when you have a gun library I would have assumed you would have someone manning it who had a clue or would at least take the time to research the piece. Typically the guns in that library are nice pieces and usually demand a chunk of change to take one home. The fact they don't have a salesmen who is informed about them just seems like something they would do at my office. :banging:

Guess you now know how I got where I'm at:trophy::scared:

20' likes this.
  19. 20'

20' Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2017
    '
    I was speaking more hunting related, those extremely in the know on gunsmithing probably go to BP to be entertained with the wealth of misinformation.

Sully, sharps4590 and fishshooter like this.
  20. 90acres

90acres The good ole days

Mar 4, 2003
    Wardsville
    If you are in Como again I really like Powder Horn Guns.