Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5,531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.rifle-accuracy-reports.com/AccurizedAction.html

in this article they use a Rem 700 action but the process is the same for a winchester or what ever you decide on. you wonder why those accurized actions cost so much, lot's of time put into them. we don't need this for minute of deer mind you but for those who just always wonder what it would take to build a real tack driver, here's your start.

·
Registered
5,531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
:cheers: not meant to be a definitive "How To" just a good representation/explaination of what is truely involved.

·
Registered
13,802 Posts
And, by the time you do all that to a Remington, Ruger, etc. you might just be better off buying a custom Stiller or similar action, and building on it instead.

Savages have a floating bolt head, which negates SOME of all that action truing, but they don't solve all the problems, either.

Remington doesn't even true up their 40X actions any more, they also don't lathe-chamber any more either, even on the 40Xs, which is why 40Xs are "just another rifle" these days, and why even 40Xs have been sold with crooked chambers:mad2::mad2:

Of course, none of that matters on a deer rifle, a box-stock rifle works just fine.

·
Registered
5,531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
glen over on 24hrcampfire they were talking about the need for remintons to have a bolt bushing placed for proper fireing pin alignment as well. it seems their (reminton) over all quality control is not what it once was.

here is the one reply in the thread were the guy explains it

The "cratered" or flowed primers can allow primer shard material to eventually build up enough to not allow the bolt to ****.
In addition, the firing pin on many/most 700's, in particular on the .378" bolt face, is not adequately supported behind the face of the bolt, hence it can & does slap the side of the hole when fired, allowing the possibility of irregular firing/lock time. Blown primers at low pressures are also a fairly common malady.

he then gives this link for a fix
http://www.gretanrifles.com/bushfiringpin.asp

your experiances with this? i am not remington savey so this is more of a learning session for me

·
Registered
13,802 Posts
JimH- Gretan does a lot of business fixing Remington problems, and other brands, too. Honestly, every single Remington I've seen shot the past few years was doing this (.378" bolts, anyway) It's a PITA, but nothing that can't be fixed. Remingtons seem to be the worst about it, and they refuse to fix it, claiming they do it on purpose(??????????) One of the reasons I won't buy another, ever again. Just like with their old triggers, they have a problem and refuse to fix it. It's gonna bite 'em one day. Already is, with most of the varminters I know. It's pure laziness on their part, it doesn't cost any more to do it right than wrong, in this case. POT......

My CZ Fireball does it, with certain primers, anyway, and I've shied away from using the hotter loads in it because of that, it's not really a problem except with one powder, Lil Gun, which gives the best performance of all in that case. I just went with a milder powder and live with it for now.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.