ever make and use a wingbone call

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunting General' started by JBMan, Mar 6, 2006.

1. JBMan

JBMan New Member

Nov 16, 2004
    Jackson
    heres one i made out of the wing of my very first turkey. instead of boiling the wing, i deep fried it, picked it clean....oh that tasty! and then made my cuts. it makes the sweetest yelps and puts.... but i never have used it in the field. i think that this year shall be a pilot year for my ole winger

2. Rebel2

Rebel2 Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2003
    Ozark, MO
    looks awesome man :cheers:

3. JBMan

JBMan New Member

Nov 16, 2004
    Jackson
    you should hear it CJ, it doesnt even compare to to slate or a good mouth call.

4. Rebel2

Rebel2 Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2003
    Ozark, MO
    I bet man.. my father had one a few years ago.. i loved it. Always thought about tryin to make one, never got around to tryin it..

5. Vector

Vector VECtor Custom Calls

Feb 11, 2003
    N/C MO
    Here are my 'wingbones'.

The first is a cane call made here in MO, but I don't know by who.

The second is made by a good friend of mine, Jim Groenier out of Wisconsin. He wins several awards each year at Nationals for his calls. This thing just about plays by itself!

Parker

6. Crappie

Crappie Slab Master

Nice, I havea friend that uses the smallest bone puts into a piece of cane about 5 inches long it sounds great.

7. Rebel2

Rebel2 Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2003
    Ozark, MO
    very cool parker... :cheers:

8. Vector

Feb 11, 2003
    N/C MO
    And then if you get hungry while you're out this spring JB, you can just chew the rest of the little fat nibbin's off of that baby, right?!

Parker

9. JBMan

JBMan New Member

Nov 16, 2004
    Jackson
    you betcha, specially if the heathens hang up at 60 yards, then spook for no reason, i'll be needin something to chomp on thats for sure!

10. huntforfunnfood

huntforfunnfood New Member

Jun 30, 2003
    new bloomfield mo
    parker
    that cane call is made by roy wilson he lives in harrisonville.
    the turkey feather is a dead give away its kinda his trade mark so to say and its easy to see and pick out he also makes an awsome awsome wing bone roy is a great guy and will make you a good deal on a call for trading some of your wingbones. he makes about 100 calls a year and they are fairly and becoming more collectable each day. from what i hear there is currently a waiting list for his calls. several of his calls have sold for 100-150 bucks according to mickels new book but like most call makers the collecters pay more for them than the actual makers usually charges

nice call for sure

here is his web site http://geocities.com/customwingbonecallers/

i don't think this is totally up to date

here is a pic of one of his wingbones too he wraps them in several different color thread

11. Poor Valley

Poor Valley Active Member

Mar 14, 2003
    Rolla, Mo
    I've made a few wingbone calls for my own use and they sound pretty good. I don't believe their sound can be duplicated by any other call. They are difficult to learn to play.

12. Hoytshooter

Hoytshooter Active Member

Mar 7, 2005
    Small Buck, MO
    I have taken out I don't know how many wing bones with the intent of making one and have yet to do it. Maybe this is the year. If I get one early I think I might make a call and try to kill my second bird with it.

13. Vector

Feb 11, 2003
    N/C MO
    INTERESTING!

Parker

14. Chairman

Chairman Senior Member

Dec 2, 2002
    Henry County

Ummmm...my name's Rick... :wave:

And ~ You're welcome!

15. JackJr

JackJr New Member

Nov 30, 2002
    Land Of BLAHS
    Heck I resized them too.;)

Jack

16. shortmag

shortmag New Member

Feb 22, 2006
    Could someone explain to me in a Wingbone's for dummies format exactly how you are supposed to use those things. My 3 year old son won a nice one at the nwtf banquet and asked daddy to show hime how to use it:stickfight:
    I sure am good at spitting all over me and him.:confused:

17. shortmag

shortmag New Member

Feb 22, 2006
    Thanks CP. At least I wont spit on my boy anymore! Sometimes I's just dummer n a post!:neuspeuter:

18. Longbow26

Longbow26 New Member

Feb 5, 2005
    Farmington, MO
    Actually if you kiss/smack on the end ( mouth end ) you will get sound out of it. More preshure on the bone verses less preshure gives diferent results. On mine the less preshure I put wiht my lips the best. Once you get sound from smaking it emediatly switch to draw and you get a nice drawn yelp. Here is the one I made wiht my first terky bones from last sumers first ever terky. I put cow horn bell on end since only have oen ahnd hard to maek proper cup at end with one hand hehe.

19. shortmag

shortmag New Member

Feb 22, 2006
    Thank ya Longbow. I'll be a kiss'in and a drawing tonite!Then tomorrow I make get to working on using that wingbone!:banana:

20. Grumpy

Grumpy New Member

Jul 5, 2004
    Central MO
    I've made several of them. I used to make them and sell them on ebay when I would get a turkey or I had friends that would save me their wings. I have even used domestic turkeys to make them and some were mixed bones. Some wild and some tame birds. Here's one of them I made.