Ever had a rod stolen by a cat?

Discussion in 'Catfish' started by cordwood, Jun 2, 2009.

1. cordwood

cordwood New Member

Mar 28, 2009
    Virginia
    I did last year.:whinging: I was fishing from the bank and even tho I know to leave the bail open, I was just setting the rod down for a second to check my other line. Thats when it happened... Its like the rod had a mega hi-powered spring under it. The thing just launched off the bank and was walking across the water in a flash.:eek: I jumped up and got ready to dive in after it but even if I did, I dont think I could of swam fast enough to catch it...and even tho id like to have my $100 rod/reel back and find out what was on the other end of the line, its best I didnt. I had my cell phone in my pocket and wasnt sure of the underwater structure.

This was a very painful and embarrassing story for me to admit.:D

Anybody here wanna help me feel a little better by saying 'ya, its happened to me too'?:shrug:

:D

2. Dane-ger

Dane-ger New Member

Jan 2, 2008
    not me :stickfight:

3. marshallgrn

marshallgrn New Member

Apr 20, 2008
    in hiding
    yep its happened to me, fishing in the missouri river, buddy of mine who aint scared of the river at dark or snakes or logs went diving and actually got it, when we got the fish in it was about a 10 lb carp

4. leasburg

leasburg Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2007
    South County MO
    nope never lost one:rules:

5. UrbanHunter

UrbanHunter Well-Known Member

Yeah, it's happened to me. We use to fish a lot off of a pontoon boat at a private lake.
    Had one go over the rail, doing flips as it went.
    The fish grew several pounds in the telling for awhile.

6. Dane-ger

Dane-ger New Member

Jan 2, 2008
    [rquote=1284267&tid=89829&author=marshallgrn] yep its happened to me, fishing in the missouri river, buddy of mine who aint scared of the river at dark or snakes or logs went diving and actually got it, when we got the fish in it was about a 10 lb carp[/rquote]

Your buddy must be crazy, either that or :superman:

7. marshallgrn

marshallgrn New Member

Apr 20, 2008
    in hiding
    [rquote=1284271&tid=89829&author=Dane-ger][rquote=1284267&tid=89829&author=marshallgrn] yep its happened to me, fishing in the missouri river, buddy of mine who aint scared of the river at dark or snakes or logs went diving and actually got it, when we got the fish in it was about a 10 lb carp[/rquote]

Your buddy must be crazy, either that or :superman:[/rquote]

hes crazy, seen a snake swim into a whole back up in the bank of the creek and sticks his arm under the water into the whole and grab the snake out and toss it up on bank just so he could catch it again and look at it, so i would call him crazy

8. Gakic24

Gakic24 Well-Known Member

[rquote=1284277&tid=89829&author=marshallgrn][rquote=1284271&tid=89829&author=Dane-ger][rquote=1284267&tid=89829&author=marshallgrn] yep its happened to me, fishing in the missouri river, buddy of mine who aint scared of the river at dark or snakes or logs went diving and actually got it, when we got the fish in it was about a 10 lb carp[/rquote]

Your buddy must be crazy, either that or :superman:[/rquote]

hes crazy, seen a snake swim into a whole back up in the bank of the creek and sticks his arm under the water into the whole and grab the snake out and toss it up on bank just so he could catch it again and look at it, so i would call him crazy[/rquote]

:kewlpics:

9. rat

rat Legbone

Dec 13, 2005
    I threw in a rod on a farm pond, put it in a holder and went back to the truck for another rod....
    When I came back the whole shooting match was gone.

I was alone.. guess I dont pay attn. Tis why I tightline with zebco33s and cheapie rods.

10. igor

igor Active Member

Mar 8, 2006
    yep, couple of times. i'm a little more careful now, and own catfishing reels
    with bait clickers.

11. cordwood

cordwood New Member

Mar 28, 2009
    Virginia
    [rquote=1284277&tid=89829&author=marshallgrn]
    hes crazy, seen a snake swim into a whole back up in the bank of the creek and sticks his arm under the water into the whole and grab the snake out and toss it up on bank just so he could catch it again and look at it, so i would call him crazy[/rquote]

I think that clears up any doubt whether he's crazy!:hysterical:

By chance, he didnt happen to have an australian accent did he?!!!:D

12. Jeremy

Jeremy REGULAR MEMBER

Dec 22, 2006
    yep, one of the kids poles got taken in last year. we were fishin for cats, got called up to the house for dinner and i figured they were in pretty stout holders so they would be fine for about 1/2 hour. came back down and one of the poles-holder and all was gone.

13. rat

rat Legbone

Dec 13, 2005
    Wife and I were in Colorado couple three years ago and skipped stream fishin one day and went to a highcountry lake.

I put one line out with some berkely trout dough and tightened it up. I told her to watch it while I setup couple more rods.

She said "um, something is happening" :roll2:
    I spun around and jumped about 10ft in the air towards the water, filled up both boots saving that rod.

I didnt think we'd get any action but I didnt tell her that cause I wanted to fish. :D

We ended up limiting in an hour once I told her to grab the freakin rod when it starts going in the water. lol

Was a great day. :cheers:

14. hillbilly

hillbilly Senior Member

Dec 27, 2006
    Fulton Mo
    Not me, but my wife was on our dock a couple years ago and lost 1 of mine:mad2:And the bad part about it was she wouldn't even go in after it:mad2:Ended up costing me around $120.00 for the rod n reel:whinging:

15. fishshooter

fishshooter Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2007
    Reform
    Bet it was a blue, had em hit tap, tap, tap, and just as I'm ready to cuss em for being a channel the rod about leaves the boat :claphands:

16. archer66

archer66 5 shots 1 kill

Jun 21, 2008
    Twice...

When I was a kid we were at a farm pond fishing on one end and swimming on the other. I had my zebco 33 rig baited with a wad of night crawlers under a big ole bobber and left it to go swimming...thought the stick I had it on would hold it with all the small catfish in that pond. Well anyway I came back and it was gone. Little later i looked out in the pond and there floats my bobber. I jumped in and swam right up to it but just as I was about to grab it it went under....then it came back up a few feet away and the chase was on. I finally caught it and my reward was a 2 pound channel and my algae covered rod and reel.

Second time was at MTL...fish didn't take it from me, I just flat dropped it in about 15 foot of water. I thought I could swim down and retrieve it so I tied a rope around my waist and gave the other end to my buddy and into the lake I went. I went down, and down and the water got colder and colder then I encountered some brush an decided I best stop. When I resurfaced my buddy called me all kinds of crazy and said he was starting to get worried.

17. yankee

yankee Senior Member

lost a musky rod and a penn trolling real, the reel alone was 150.00 rod was 100.00 lost it in lake st clair trolling for musky, must have been a record musky he hit and rolled the rod bounced and spun it right out of the rod holder:rof2::rof2: expensive day

18. coyotehunter

coyotehunter PURE KILLER

Jan 19, 2005
    mexico,mo.
    yeah a couple of times it really ticks me off:mad2:but it hasn't happened this year yet:Di think the most exspensive was when i had one reeling in a cat,the foot holding another one i had already set the hook on.when the third went flying off the bank just out of reach.that one really ticked me off:mad2:

19. tometusns

tometusns New Member

Jan 13, 2007
    swmo.
    me and the wife were sitting in the lawn chairs ...kids were in the water playing...reel and rod went sailing into the lake...wifes neice saw it and grabbed it before it got to deep to see...1 1/2 lb white bass...lucky me:D