Ever been tempted?

Discussion in '2011 Whitetail General' started by jj77, Nov 7, 2010.

1. jj77

jj77 Member

Oct 11, 2007
    nixa
    Have you ever been tempted during archery season to take a bad shot on a deer? I was for the firsttime this weekend. Went out Sat. morning calm, cold, PERFECT!!!! Got in my tree and about 730 heard one grunting about 100 yds or so away, so I hit my Vector grunt tub and he answers back and sounds like he is heading my way. Well he clammed up I did not hear a peep for quite a while. Soooo what do I do? I grunt one more time and he gives a quick grunt LESS THAN 30-40 yds away !He locked in on my tree and came in straight at me. When he steps out of the thick stuff he is a monster 8, just freaking huge! I always get that little rush every time I get a deer but this time...well lets just say I thought my heart was gonna burst. Anyway I draw but he stops 10 yds with only his head and 6 inches of his neck exposed from behind a tree. Just for a split second it crossed my mind to take my chances (man did I want that deer). He ended up backing out and I never could get on him. So have you ever tempted???? :thinking:

JJ

P.S. Even though I did not get him it still was a thrill. :banana-man-yeah:

2. JrNation88

JrNation88 Active Member

Jan 2, 2009
    BOCO
    yes.....have i ever followed through :D

3. Broadside is not the only shot you can take, just sayin.

4. beanpile

beanpile just a no body

tempted on making a 40 yrd shot yesterday but since i whiffed a 34 ..i decided it was a bad shot .. but yes i was tempted

5. icbigiowabucks

icbigiowabucks New Member

Nov 26, 2008
    Knoxville Iowa
    I think weve all been tempted and if you say you havent been ur lyn jmo

6. Hoytshooter

Hoytshooter New Member

Mar 7, 2005
    Small Buck, MO
    No doubt we all get tempted. Hunting ethics help to resist that temtation

7. jj77

jj77 Member

Oct 11, 2007
    nixa
    [rquote=1884187&tid=131248&author=Hoytshooter]No doubt we all get tempted. Hunting ethics help to resist that temtation[/rquote]

Well I try to always use ethics when hunting, only a clean shot or no shot but come on did he have to tease me that way. :D

8. Hoytshooter

Hoytshooter New Member

Mar 7, 2005
    Small Buck, MO
    Those kind of hunts are what keep us going back for more

9. marshallgrn

marshallgrn New Member

Apr 20, 2008
    in hiding
    I would have took that shot

10. BowHunterKc

BowHunterKc New Member

Oct 24, 2010
    Kansas City, MO
    Everyone gets tempted but you made the right choice. A wounded or dead deer you cant find is unethical and not fair for the animals we all live for!

11. rat

rat Legbone

Dec 13, 2005
    Did the right thing... sounds like a great encounter for sure.