Ever been spurred?

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunting General' started by cordwood, May 22, 2009.

1. cordwood

cordwood New Member

Mar 28, 2009
    Virginia
    Just wonderin... The last turkey I shot I had to stand on his neck for a few. He had a bit more life in him than I was expecting and his wings beat me up pretty good and those spurs were flailing around enough to get me worried.

So I was thinking...heck I came real close to getting hooked, so surely somebody here has had to of gotten stuck before.:shrug:

If so, did you limp the whole way home?:D

2. fishshooter

fishshooter Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2007
    Reform
    I plead to fifth, don't make the wife mad when she's wearing boots :peepwall:

Oh you mean by turkeys, yep had the skin between my pointer finger and thumb laid open, stinking yard birds :sniper:

3. Rebel2

Rebel2 Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2003
    Ozark, MO
    never have

they usually dont flop much, but if/when they have i let em sit til they are done

4. Refuze2falo

Refuze2falo Plain White Cracker

Aug 13, 2008
    We are neighbors
    Fishy got "nubbed" this year:peepwall:

5. Longbow26

Longbow26 New Member

Feb 5, 2005
    Farmington, MO
    My one freind got opend up like a fillet knife by a spur one year. the bottom side of the oval between thumb and finger. It opend that area down to his hand bone. He ahd to go to ER and get it stitched up.

6. Pastor

Pastor Well-Known Member

Apr 2, 2008
    Leadwood.
    never by a turkey but i had a polish rooster get me real bad one day. hit me in the main vain that runs down the front of the leg. with every heart beat purple blood would shoot out. he met a trukey load shortly after. :sniper:

7. fishshooter

fishshooter Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2007
    Reform
    [rquote=1272193&tid=89056&author=Pastor]never by a turkey but i had a polish rooster get me real bad one day. hit me in the main vain that runs down the front of the leg. with every heart beat purple blood would shoot out. he met a trukey load shortly after. :sniper:[/rquote]

Sure cure for a pain in the rear:drunk:

8. Beards-n-Spurs

Beards-n-Spurs Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2005
    Yes first one I got I grabbed him by the legs bad mistake, thought I was gonna bleed to death before I got outta the woods he got me right in the web between my thumb and the next finger over. Ouch!!!!!!!!!! everyone taken after him boot to the head.........

9. goosekilla

goosekilla Senior Member

Dec 9, 2008
    west of STL
    I reached in the kitchen sink once this spring w/o looking and cut my hand on the knife I cleaned a turkey w/, does that count??

10. brushpile

brushpile New Member

Feb 23, 2008
    Springfield, MO
    Didn't get spurred, but got a story to tell:

Years ago, while pledging a fraternity in Kirksville... I was one of a few in my pledge class who could clean a bird. It was a few days before Thanksgiving, and a sorority girl, whose father owned a turkey farm, brought our fraternity two live turkeys. Each turkey was stuffed in a potato sack, with its head sticking out the openning, and placed on the porch of the frat house.

I grabbed the turkey by the neck, and it busted that potato sack like it was tissue paper. Now I have a P'd off turkey by the neck... wings flapping... legs kicking... and I don't dare turn the danged thing loose. I tried ringing its neck for about a tenth of a second... no way in heck. I held the turkey at arms length, which wasn't easy because it was a heavy bird. The wings were really flapping when I decided my only option was to choke it out with both hands. It seemed like an eternity, but I finally choked it out, and was able to kill it. You'd have to be there, cuz unless you have picked up a very healthy turkey by the neck, you would never understand.:hysterical:

I've done a lot of things, but that was one of my most exciting moments!

11. carbonslinger

carbonslinger New Member

Dec 25, 2008
    bethany,mo
    had a friend get laid open pretty good this year.

12. citybowhunter

citybowhunter Senior Member

Feb 13, 2009
    Independence Mo.
    yep. i shot a turkey that ran over and "died" on the other side of the fence of the neighbors. i reached over the fence and picked him up and he came back to life. i had his spur in between my ring finger and the middle finger and he twisted and turned on me and the spur went in right between the two fingers in the crease. I learned there is open space in there when you puncture the skin. I also learned the first question out of country people when you tell them what happended is have you had a tetanus shot?

13. MOGC

MOGC Well-Known Member

Apr 13, 2008
    SE Ozark's
    When I was a kid a buddy and I were turkey hunting together, me calling and he won the coin toss to be the shooter. We got on a pepper hot gobbler that wanted to give his all to educate two young knucklehead teen hunters and he came busting right to the call. My buddy knocked him down and jumped and ran over to the big bird. It was his first gobbler and he didn't know any better, he grabbed him immediately by the neck and slung him over his shoulder with a grin from ear to ear. I was walking toward him and my buddy was going on about his first gobbler when suddenly he stopped with a surprised look on his face. He looked just like the old western movie actors do when an Indian shoots an arrow into their back! My friend arched his back out, mouth gaped open, and gave a gasp! That gobbler wasn't quite ready to give up the ghost and had sunk those spurs in just above the waistline, about kidney level... It was quite a rodeo for the next several minutes!!!

14. 67Firebird

67Firebird Chicken Man

No, but one time I picked a Crow up by the feet just after shooting it, and it wasn't quite dead yet. They can claw you up pretty quick, and hold on to your hand while hanging upside down. :hysterical: :eek::rof2: