Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What method do you use for exterminating the animals that you trap?

Knock'em in the head?

Does shooting them in the head with a .22 cal make the pelts worth less?

Do you put them in a cage and use gas? (I saw on another forum where a guy did it this way and said it made the pelts worth more money.

Just wondering what the most popular method is, thanks for your replies,

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What do all the bite marks do to the price of the fur?:hysterical:

·
11,357 Posts
[rquote=1567305&tid=109006&author=FiremanBrad]I bite them around the neck until they stop wigglin, just like a mountain lion does.:D:wave:[/rquote]

:hysterical::hysterical: Brad you are your own breed of animal:hysterical::hysterical:

On a serious note I use a .22 on my ***** caught in live traps. I wait until I can shoot them in the ear lobe. This make for a quick and humane dispatch and no extra holes:cheers: Hope this helps

·
Registered
38,393 Posts
[rquote=1567307&tid=109006&author=Steelman]What do all the bite marks do to the price of the fur?:hysterical:[/rquote]

Well ya got me there....Also makes me hock up a hairball once in awhile!:rof2::wave:

·
1,220 Posts
I carry a 22 pistol on the line w/ me.cb ammo, pop them in the head and get on down the line to ur next set. Makes no difference in value. Fur buyers are not interested in the head.

·
Under appreciated
91,780 Posts
I magine some use chokepoles too. Good question. :cheers:

·
Registered
795 Posts
Just a tid bit of a warning......ANTIS (Peta....tree huggers...etc.) love to come to public forums like this and get ammo to use. Dispatching animals should probably be discussed elsewhere....I know, I know....we can play tough and say who gives a rip...but that is my :02:

I'm not callin Steelman an anti...but who asks...

"Do you put them in a cage and use gas? (I saw on another forum where a guy did it this way and said it made the pelts worth more money."

·
Registered
3,664 Posts
[rquote=1568267&tid=109006&author=trappersteve]Just a tid bit of a warning......ANTIS (Peta....tree huggers...etc.) love to come to public forums like this and get ammo to use. Dispatching animals should probably be discussed elsewhere....I know, I know....we can play tough and say who gives a rip...but that is my :02:

[/rquote]

Ain't arguing with ya,but I wish I had:02: everytime I've seen this posted.They have their own agenda,and will make up their own "facts" ,or borrow from any of the millions of websites out there.

Not trying to be tough or not give a rip...but come on...they can take the thread about getting rid of mice,or snagging paddlefish,or calling coyotes,and turn it into anything they want.
This thread may help people find a better/humane way to treat the animal,gas just might be better..works in prisons?Just saying.

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
In the late 70's we tryed a method which used "kerarie" or something like that from the jungle that was injected with a syringe & they just went to sleep, but it took to long so we went back to the .22:D

·
Registered
795 Posts
carry on....I just don't really like entertaining those people....but you're right, they will twist whatever! I like a thump and chest compression, but I trap in the city....a .22 is my preferred method :claphands: sorry to pee in your cheerios. :rules:

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
[rquote=1568267&tid=109006&author=trappersteve]Just a tid bit of a warning......ANTIS (Peta....tree huggers...etc.) love to come to public forums like this and get ammo to use. Dispatching animals should probably be discussed elsewhere....I know, I know....we can play tough and say who gives a rip...but that is my :02:

I'm not callin Steelman an anti...but who asks...

"Do you put them in a cage and use gas? (I saw on another forum where a guy did it this way and said it made the pelts worth more money."

[/rquote]

Trappersteve,
This was a serious question. The gentleman from the other forum had pictures of some coyotes he trapped in a wire kennel in the back of his truck and said that he used gas. Less holes, more money.
I was wondering if it was the norm or if his method was an exception. Based on the few serious responses, including yours, it seems to be an exception. Looks like, .22 to the head or a thump in the noggin, seem to be the preferred methods. The killing part in trapping is part of the game just like in hunting. I was just wondering what the most used method is and what affect if any it had on the price of the fur. You never can tell I make take up trappin in the future sometime.
That's all.....and don't be calling me an "anti" you couldn't be any further off base!

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Brad,
Nope, I just have a silver complextion:innocent:

Thanks for the welcome, I'm glad to be here.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.