European mount turning yellow

Discussion in '2011 Whitetail General' started by Ozarks-Bowhunter, Nov 11, 2010.

1. Ozarks-Bowhunter

Ozarks-Bowhunter Active Member

Jan 28, 2006
    Southern Missouri
    What would cause the skull on a european mount to start turning yellow? It was just done last year.

Also what is the going rate to have one done?

2. beanpile

beanpile just a no body

smoky environment?

3. beanpile

beanpile just a no body

:shrug: IMO it would not look too bad if it wear of a natural bone kinda yellow but if was Big Bird yellow then:cool3:

4. coyotehunter

coyotehunter PURE KILLER

Jan 19, 2005
    mexico,mo.
    the grease left on it,would be my guess

5. Doubleshot75

Doubleshot75 Active Member

Nov 6, 2006
    [rquote=1891212&tid=131728&author=coyotehunter]the grease left on it,would be my guess[/rquote]

Couldn't he wipe or spray some hydrogen peroxide on it to "white'n it up" again?

6. coyotehunter

coyotehunter PURE KILLER

Jan 19, 2005
    mexico,mo.
    maybe.but it seems to stain the bone to.be worth a shot though

7. TravisM

TravisM Member

Jun 14, 2007
    Ill-Mo
    [rquote=1891212&tid=131728&author=coyotehunter]the grease left on it,would be my guess[/rquote]

That's what it would be.

I've rewhitened a few of them, but it's pretty crucial that it gets degreased properly from the get go.

I know some of the first one's I tried from 4 or 5 years ago are pretty yellow, but I didn't go through a degreasing process back then.

A couple of years ago I read a few different posts and suggestions about how to "degrease" them before you whiten them and since then, the one's I've done stay pretty white.

I'd try and rewhiten it with some Volume 40 Peroxide Creme from like Sallys Beauty Supply or something like that.

If you get that Creme, paint it on the head with a small paint brush and wrap the skull in saran wrap and get it in front of a heater. Not close enought to melt the saran wrap, but close enough to keep the creme warm. It works the same way on the deer skull as it does in the beauty salons when the put it on womens hair and then put them under the heaters for a while.

Don't let it get on the antlers. Wrap the antlers with aluminum foil first.

Hope it works for you, I know I've redone a few with pretty good success.

8. Ozarks-Bowhunter

Jan 28, 2006
    Southern Missouri
  9. Brian_J_BT_MO

Brian_J_BT_MO New Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Bonne Terre, MO
    Was the skull clear coated after it was bleached? Sometimes, cheap aerosol lacquer or polyurethane will yellow as it ages. Just a thought. :shrug::shrug:

10. Ozarks-Bowhunter

Jan 28, 2006
    Southern Missouri
    Dont know. I'm gonna call the guy that done it and see what he says. Maybe sometime next week.

11. carbonslinger

carbonslinger New Member

Dec 25, 2008
    bethany,mo
    ive heard if u use bleach i will eventually turn yellow.

12. FiremanBrad

FiremanBrad New Member

Deep seated grease in the bone!!! You can degrease yourself then rewhiten!!If u need help just holler!!!

13. traditional

traditional New Member

Sep 23, 2010
    Georgia
    volume 40 peroxide! never use bleach it eats the bone. At my old taxidermy shop we did a lot of deer and never had any issues cause they were all degreased twice. Hogs on the other hand are very hard to keep white. To much grease, there nasty! :D