Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife has recently got into using essential oils for various home remedies, one example was some concoction for poison ivy breakout. It got me thinking if these are supposedly all natural oils- how would they work for a cover scent? I did a couple google searches and found people have used mixtures such as honey suckle or an earth scent mixture. Curious if any one on here has tried any? Or if you have any opinions. I know I have seen some have used anise soaps / scents. What have your experiences been.

And yea I'm well aware i should play the wind so save your time if thats the only input you have regarding scent control. Thx!

·
Crossbows!!!!
6,787 Posts
We have recently started using some of these oils . I think that the problem of using them as a cover scent , is that it is so condensed that the odor is unnaturally strong . Sure you would be using something that could come from their natural environment but being that strong would probably do more harm than good . Just my :02: though

·
Registered
834 Posts
It's good to see others starting this too. I have a cabinet full!! I dilute all my oils with grape seed oil. Grape seed oil is odorless and oil manufacturers use this to dilute their scents if needed. Actually, the majority of my concoctions are grape seed with the desired amount of scent with the oil. So that could tame down whatever cover scent you want. You can apply them with droppers or a mist bottle.

My fiance was just reading last night about geranium oil to be used as a tick and mosquito deterrent?! Nice natural alternative to deet. Doesn't smell too girly either. It is also a treatment for psoriasis which I have.

I think this Affordable Care thing has made a lot of people start looking at their health and looking for a cheaper more natural way to take care of themselves. They realize that health care isn't what it was and it's only going to get a lot worse. I am more of the mindset of finding the problem and targeting that rather than look for a miracle drug to treat the effect of the problem.

·
Crossbows!!!!
6,787 Posts
Thanks for the tip :eek::

Couldn't agree more and those miracle drugs are usually just adding more poison to the problem . More people should read labels and see what they're putting in themselves .

·
Registered
834 Posts
Also they should do some research about the FDA and big pharma...not exactly doing what is best for people, but doing what is good for their bottom line!

·
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think i may try a cedarwood diluted down. There are a couple posts on AT where a few guys were using a "dirt" or "earth" oil to replenish their scent wafers and make the earth scent spray, but I can not find any good "recipes" of what to use and how much to dilute. I will say the mix my wife did for poison ivy definitely stopped the itch and cleared it up in about 3 days. I am still unsure on the cost effectiveness though, i haven't looked at what she is paying for the oils (ignorance is bliss)! We also just had our third child and she wanted to do (and successfully did) an all natural birth so that is when she became introduced to the essential oils.

·
Registered
834 Posts
1 oz = 30 ml bottle is $5-19 depending on scent. Basic scents are cheaper and the geranium is on the higher end. Rose is also very high.

There are 20-30 drops in a ml depending on the size of the drop. So say there are on the low end 20 drops x 30 ml = 600 drops in a bottle. I mixed up a 30 ml bottle of geranium using grape seed oil and 10 drops of geranium for my psoriasis. It's pretty strong when its fresh on my skin after a shower. So by those calculations I could make 60 oz of scent at that strength for $18.

The grape seed oil is called the "carrier oil".

I just bought some cedarwood and it smells pretty good. You could also use pine or something of that nature.

I use the NOW brand http://www.nowfoods.com/Personal-Care/Ingredients-Guide/Essential-Oils/

Here's a pretty detailed list where you can click on each one to see what it does.
http://www.organicfacts.net/organic-oils/natural-essential-oils/list-of-essential-oils.html

That's awesome you did natural birth. If I wanted to have a kid I would have a mid wife birth the child and not give them a SS# or any of those horrible injections they hammer them with right after birth. I would let them decide, when they are of age if they want to become collateral and sell themselves to the US government with a SS# or lead their life free.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
I think i may try a cedarwood diluted down. There are a couple posts on AT where a few guys were using a "dirt" or "earth" oil to replenish their scent wafers and make the earth scent spray, but I can not find any good "recipes" of what to use and how much to dilute. I will say the mix my wife did for poison ivy definitely stopped the itch and cleared it up in about 3 days. I am still unsure on the cost effectiveness though, i haven't looked at what she is paying for the oils (ignorance is bliss)! We also just had our third child and she wanted to do (and successfully did) an all natural birth so that is when she became introduced to the essential oils.
My wife is into the oils too and I will save you the heart attack of telling you how expensive they are. I saw the price on one bottle and decided that as long as I have my hobbies she can have ours and neither need to tell the other how much we spend as long as the bills are paid and money is still getting invested and put into savings

·
Crossbows!!!!
6,787 Posts
Guess I should check out these oils a little better , didn't know they had some of the one's that were mentioned . Doubt that I will switch from Evercalm as my cover scent but I'll check out the oils .

·
Super Moderator
14,530 Posts
The scent blocker soap the wife and I make uses Anise oil as well as Fennel. It works extremely well as a cover scent!:wave:

If you want a natural antidote to poision oak and ivy, buy some jewelweed extract. We also make a soap with that in it which is very effective even after the blisters appear

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
It's good to see others starting this too. I have a cabinet full!! I dilute all my oils with grape seed oil. Grape seed oil is odorless and oil manufacturers use this to dilute their scents if needed. Actually, the majority of my concoctions are grape seed with the desired amount of scent with the oil. So that could tame down whatever cover scent you want. You can apply them with droppers or a mist bottle.

My fiance was just reading last night about geranium oil to be used as a tick and mosquito deterrent?! Nice natural alternative to deet. Doesn't smell too girly either. It is also a treatment for psoriasis which I have.

I think this Affordable Care thing has made a lot of people start looking at their health and looking for a cheaper more natural way to take care of themselves. They realize that health care isn't what it was and it's only going to get a lot worse. I am more of the mindset of finding the problem and targeting that rather than look for a miracle drug to treat the effect of the problem.
My wife was saying that you should try fractionated coconut oil to make your mixtures with for your psoriasis. She said it is more moisturizing. Whatever I say but just thought I would relay that.

·
Registered
834 Posts
My wife was saying that you should try fractionated coconut oil to make your mixtures with for your psoriasis. She said it is more moisturizing. Whatever I say but just thought I would relay that.
Tell her thanks!! When I feel like getting really weird...my fiance has a coconut oil body lotion all mixed up. But I feel so greasy after I put it on and I hate feeling greasy! Sometimes I'll use vegetable glycerine...but then that's sticky!

I've never messed with the fractionated coconut oil, I'll have to look into it.

All have their goods and bads, but it all beats the OTC stuff with all the chemicals and scents.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Tell her thanks!! When I feel like getting really weird...my fiance has a coconut oil body lotion all mixed up. But I feel so greasy after I put it on and I hate feeling greasy! Sometimes I'll use vegetable glycerine...but then that's sticky!

I've never messed with the fractionated coconut oil, I'll have to look into it.

All have their goods and bads, but it all beats the OTC stuff with all the chemicals and scents.
She said you can buy it at doterra.com. We use lots of natural and organic stuff around the house but by far my favorite thing we have is the vitamix 6300. Gets the kids eating all kinds of things they normally won't eat.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Holy Moly!! That's an expensive blender!! But I do know you get what you pay for.
That's to say the least!!! I hated giving my debit card up but happy wife happy life right! I made hot soup from fresh room temp produce the other day so I now classify it as the bad a$$ blender. Who would of thought a blender could make things too hot to eat just from the speed of the blades

1 - 20 of 28 Posts