Equipment grants . . .

Discussion in 'Hunting With A Disability' started by leaker19, Mar 7, 2006.

1. leaker19

leaker19 New Member

Nov 25, 2005
    Cooper County
    One of the things that really bothers me about being a disabled person who wants to take part in different sports is the price of the equipment. You can buy a bike at Wal-Mart for less than $50, but if you're in a wheelchair and want to handcycle your entry level ride is going to be about $1,500 plus or minus. Want a chair to play tennis, $2,000. Outrageous! I know there's economic forces at work, supply and demand, and all that, but c'mon, Huffy, help a brother out! Well, there are some folks out there trying to do something about it.

Challenged Athletes Foundation has a grant program to buy sporting equipment for individuals. Let's use it! If you're on here and disabled or know someone who is, and are wanting a piece of adaptive equipment, but cannot afford it, apply for a grant! They stress that's it's not just elite athletes they support, but disabled folks who just want to get out and have fun. They didn't buy any hunting equipment in 2005, but maybe no one asked for any. Clever grant writing may help too, for example, stressing non-hunting uses for equipment. Here is their website:

http://www.challengedathletes.org/programs/access_for_athletes.htm

Additionally, the Christopher Reeve Foundation offers Quality of Life grants. These are for non-profit organizations who want to provide recreational opportunities to disabled people. The grants are up to $25,000! So if your club or group wants to improve disabled access to some activity, apply!

Here is their website:

http://www.christopherreeve.org/site/c.geIMLPOpGjF/b.1029299/k.6F3C/How_to_ApplyGuidelines.htm

Finally, I'm no professional grant writer, but I am in a profession that occasionally has to throw around a big word or two, so I'll gladly help any individual or group request a grant. I'm serious, let's do this!

P.S. here is my next piece of outdoor happiness, I think it's pretty boss:

http://www.motionconcepts.com/terratrek.html

Leaker

2. JMAC

JMAC Senior Member

Aug 31, 2005
    Cole County
    Go for it, man! Let us know if there's anything we can do!

3. Rebel2

Rebel2 Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2003
    Ozark, MO
    Good luck leaker... i dabbled a bit a few years back in writing grants... dont judge my writing on here.. i can actually write... soze if ya need any help with anyting just shout id be glad to help ya man :cheers:

4. Chairman

Chairman Senior Member

Dec 2, 2002
    Henry County
    Dang, Leaker ~ I just might have to take you up on helping request a grant... :D

BTW ~ I have a terra-trek. If you'd like to borrow it for awhile, for a test-drive (or whatever), just give me a yell.

5. leaker19

leaker19 New Member

Nov 25, 2005
    Cooper County
    Now that's a hunting chair! It looks like it's been there and back!:eek:

6. Chairman

Chairman Senior Member

Dec 2, 2002
    Henry County
    Actually, the lighting in the basement leaves much to be desired.

It hasn't been used that much...but it does need cleaned up ~ it's been sitting in the basement for some time.

7. leaker19

leaker19 New Member

Nov 25, 2005
    Cooper County
    Seat measurements? It looks like a big man's chair!

Leaker

8. Chairman

Chairman Senior Member

Dec 2, 2002
    Henry County
    Naaahhhhh ~ that's just an optical illusion... :D

Off the top of my head, I'd say the seat width is between 16"-18".

If you'd like, I'll take actual measuremnents tomorrow...just tell me what you need to know.

:pop:

9. Chairman

Chairman Senior Member

Dec 2, 2002
    Henry County

Well ~ I AM 6' 2"... :rotfl:

10. 67Firebird

67Firebird Chicken Man

Interesting.......... :cheers:

11. dchriste

dchriste New Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Absolutely AWESOME! Thanks for the post!

Sorry guys, i'm kind of behind the times checking forums...You can back to the huntin' chair again!
    Don

12. Chairman

Chairman Senior Member

Dec 2, 2002
    Henry County

Hey ~ it's good to see ya' Don... :wave:

13. 67Firebird

67Firebird Chicken Man

I finally decided to try it, and the site says applications for grants accepted 9-1-06 to 12-1-06. :boohoo:

14. zipzap

zipzap New Member

May 15, 2006
    missouri
    chairman , is that a chair that you might be willing to let go of cheap. Im a person of minamal finances and short on equipment. That ther chair looks as if it would handle the terrains of hunting quite well. I think Ill also check out some of leaker19's website's. Ive been wondering if ther was any grants available that might assist.
    zipzap

15. Chairman

Chairman Senior Member

Dec 2, 2002
    Henry County
    You have a U2U... :wave:

16. Keith

Keith New Member

Dec 13, 2002
    Springfield, MO.
    Thanks for the info leaker :wave: