Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
4,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Encore 209 x 50

Drop the 777 down the barrel, no problem.
Seat the sabot, not problem.

It takes me putting my whole body weight onto the ram rod to get the bullet seated? This can not be right? Can it?
Shots no problem, just scares me. I even tried some bore butter to get it loaded. did not really help.

Any advise? Info? Anything at all?
Thanks,
MJO

·
2,842 Posts
How big a boy are ya?

They are pretty darn snug, are you cleaning between shots? Or, at least every 4 or 5 shots getting the plastic fouling out of the rifling? My TC Encore is tight, not like I hear you describe, but I'm pretty good size 220 pounds and pretty darn strong too. Not saying your a small wimpy guy, but I have some mass behind my push!!

·
Registered
4,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have in the past, in my old in-line. I switched over when I read from people about the powerbelts not holding together? I never had a shot with the ML so I do not know for sure. When I got the new barrel the guy I bought it from told me his charge and weight for most accuracy?

MJO

·
Registered
211 Posts
Encore is a great ML.
I have noticed that it is easy to seat the bullet on a clean barrel and after a few shots like you said very hard. The plastic from the sabot will build up in the barrel. Try cleaning or running a patch down the barrel.
I know the man that makes 90% of all sabots made in the world. He lives in Harrison, AR. This is the advice he gave me.
Good luck and keep your powder dry.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
I'm a 180 lbs and the Encore was the first black powder rifle I have ever shot; seating the Shockwave sabot rounds is pretty easy in mine....not that issides rigt down the barrel but I dont lay into it.

·
19,117 Posts
are you buying bulk bullets and bulk sabots?? if so you might have a mismatch
another thing you might try flushng the barrel with boiling hot water and soap, that alone will remove any plastic deposits you might have
once you flush the barrel, let it dry, and if the water is hot enough it will dry almost immediately, let it cool, and load it see if the slug goes down the barrel easier

·
Registered
435 Posts
MJO21

Seat the sabot, not problem.
OK, I am going ignorant here... what do you mean 'seat the sabot, not a problem'

Are you dropping the sabot in seating it - then trying to seat the bullet in the sabot?

It takes me putting my whole body weight onto the ram rod to get the bullet seated?
See this is where I am working overtime, because in one sentence you say sabot seats and then the next sentence the discussion of how tough it is to load.

Anyway... back to the real world... TC's can have very tight bores and now days the sabot companies recognize that so they offer sabots of different thicknesses to allow loading of different projectiles. You may have to move to a Harvester 'Crush Rib' an MMP HPH-3p-EZ load ot one of several others - providing you are shooting a 45 cal projectile from your 50 cal ML..

You do not mention which projectile or which sabot you might be using - that would really help in diagnosing what might be wrong.

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
Almost sounds like he is first loading the sabot, then a tight bullet?? But surely not!

I would think he means he sits the sabot'd bullet into the QLA no problem then has great difficulty pushing the load on in.

We definitely need to know exactly what you are loading and how.

As Mike said, the Harvester crushed rib sabot or one of the others he mentioned might be your solution.

·
19,117 Posts
[rquote=1511734&tid=105434&author=Underclocked]Almost sounds like he is first loading the sabot, then a tight bullet?? But surely not!

I would think he means he sits the sabot'd bullet into the QLA no problem then has great difficulty pushing the load on in.

We definitely need to know exactly what you are loading and how.

As Mike said, the Harvester crushed rib sabot or one of the others he mentioned might be your solution. [/rquote] naaa he couldn't be dropping the sabot...then the slug??? i won't believe that, my encore not long ago got hard to load, i was swabbing between shots as normal, then all of a sudden it stiffened up, hard to push slug/sabot down the barrel, im betting he has plastic build up and boiling water sucked up through the barrel with a patch and jag will cure his problem, till it arises again

·
Registered
6,936 Posts
The Encores (all models) have a known (and well documented) problem with the shockwave sabots after a few shots. The thing that causes it is the same thing that gives them their accuracy. The sabots actually fill the grooves of the rifling. After a few shots, the bore needs to be cleaned (at least swabbed) to remove the buildup.

·
Registered
4,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Okay.. I see I was not clear, and my terminology was very bad.

Seat the sabot= With the bullet in the plastic sabot, getting it started into the barrel and about one inch down=no problem.

I use the TC shockwaves, the sabots are yellow and the tips of the bullets are either yellow or blue. I bought them at Walmart, they are 50cal. and I believe 200 or 235grains. Maybe I am wrong here but I assumed that by the packaging stating they are 50cal that meant they are for 50cal guns? Which means that they gave me 45 cal bullets with the sabots that add up to 50cal?

I am a big guy=230lbs.

the first loading is an issue even after cleaning the gun the night before is an issue. And I run a patch after every shot.

Thanks guy, sorry for the confusion,
MJO

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
I think you need to follow SL's advice and use a less thick sabot. The Harvester Crushed Ribs and some appropriately matched bullets. It's getting tough right now to find bullets AND sabots in stock at the same place but Graf's would normally have them.

http://s4.tinypic.com/sg1kyw.jpg That image will give you an idea of the total diameter of sabot/bullet combos. You need to find something a bit less diameter than your current Shockwaves.

TC bores tend to run tight - your current load combo might load and work well in another .50 caliber but not yours.

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
I run one spit patch and then one dry patch through my encore between every shot. I shoot harvester sabots and 240gr. hornaday xtp 44cal. bullets in my encore and they are tough to load. They sure shoot great though so I just keep shooting them.

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
Depends upon the powder being used. With T7, you best be swabbing damp/dry betwen shots with Windex, alcohol, or even just spit. With Pyro, it depends upon the rifle but sometimes you can shoot quite a few shots without actually needing to swab - but I still swab between shots. With Blackhorn you should be able to pretty much get your fill of shooting before needing to swab - and it's the only one where I would choose to swab with a good solvent. BM3 or XP or whatever the heck they call it now is the much the same as Blackhorn so far as needing to swab, but a just a dampened patch such as you would use for T7, followed by dry swabs. With true blacks, you are probably going to do the damp/dry swab as well - maybe two damp and two dry.

I don't speak pellets. :D

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.