Encore neutered in Mississippi

Discussion in 'Muzzleloaders' started by tootall, Mar 13, 2006.

1. tootall

tootall New Member

Feb 25, 2006
    Kansas
    The QLA is gone, and I am glad that it is!!!

This Encore could not consistantly hit a 16' box at 100 yds with 460 No Excuse conicals and we all know that was no fault of the bullets.

Along with the QLA removal and recrowning of the barrel was a trigger job to 3#, 25 acp conversion, locking lug spring, hammer spring, hinge pin replacement with an excellent 1 1/2 week turnaround.

Without weigh sorting the bullets or weighing the powder the gun shot a range of conicals from 400 gr to 480 gr within 1 1/2 to 2" at 100 yds on Saturday.

The QLA measured about .009 off with the calipers before it was done away with and was also the 3rd T/C with the QLA that would not shoot conicals with any accuracy that I have had.

Work was done byhttp://www.precisionrifleworks.net/

Darrel;)

2. tootall

tootall New Member

Feb 25, 2006
    Kansas
    Sorry that was a 16" not 16' box:wink:

3. Underclocked

Underclocked New Member

Jan 27, 2003
    Greenfield, MO. USA
    By all accounts David does some fine work. Understand he has moved to New York and will be a little behind until everything gets situated.

Hope you have a Limbsaver or similar on that Encore. :eek: :cool:

4. 1madjack

1madjack New Member

Feb 17, 2006
    ebenezermo
    TooTall, was that a completely new barrel or did he re-work your existing barrel? Also was the cost an arm and leg or just the arm? I'm not looking for specific dollar amount just ball park. Finally, how did his prices compare to Belm?My Encore wouldn't hit squat with the 209s, T-7s and powerbelts and I was thinking of getting it re-worked. Granted I've not taken the time to try other loads but after hearing the horror stories caused by 209s I started thinkin' cut out all of the variables, then work up the load! Thanks, 1madjack:confused:

5. tootall

tootall New Member

Feb 25, 2006
    Kansas
    1madjack
    He just reworked my existing barrel and breech plug. He has the price of his special posted
    http://www.precisionrifleworks.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=190&sid=5e996fa1c36832b1fa2d1aa55a61656f
    says he is continuing it thru end of March.

I changed alot of the variables at one time but would contribute most all of the conical accuracy improvement to the elimination of the QLA.

I could of just had the QLA removed but my trigger needed work and also wanted the 25 acp case modification and that made the package deal look better

Darrel

6. sand_manms

sand_manms New Member

Dec 13, 2005
    South Mississippi
    Ok I musta missed sumptin! What does this post have to do with Mississippi?

7. hunter7x

hunter7x New Member

Oct 22, 2002
    Indiana
    I musta got a good Encore. While not one hole groups at 100 yards, well with in a 3" circle. That was just walking out and shooting what I had. Powerbelts and 209's and pyrodex pellets.

8. callaojoe

callaojoe Máistir an pointe hocht.

Jan 21, 2004
    N/C Missouri
    Me too, mine is shooting a less than 4" group using hornady 240 grn xtp sabots & 90 grns 777....:sniper: That's just the first time out with it. I'm still working on the best combo for it. And that's just shooting off a rest, I haven't put it in the gun vise yet to really zero it in...

9. hunter7x

hunter7x New Member

Oct 22, 2002
    Indiana
    Now I must say I don't like the trigger on mine. but still right outta the box and like you said pat not even working at it, it's not that bad.

can't hit a 16" box at 100 yards.... did you sight it in before shooting at 100? Something just doesn't sound right.

10. callaojoe

callaojoe Máistir an pointe hocht.

Jan 21, 2004
    N/C Missouri
    I fully expect to be able to shoot at least a 2" group with mine by the time I have it really dialed in. I personally like the trigger pull on mine.... Mebbe I just got lucky.:D I wouldn't hesitate to say that I think I could already keep the shots in a 16" box off handed....

11. hunter7x

hunter7x New Member

Oct 22, 2002
    Indiana
    My trigger has no play and is a little stiff for me. I like to be able to move the trigger some and it needs a reduction. I like around 3 pounds.

But yes i would take that challenge, 100 yards off hand 16" box, I could hit it.

12. Chairman

Chairman Senior Member

Dec 2, 2002
    Henry County

I believe that's where Precision Rifleworks, who did the custom barrel work, is located...

13. sand_manms

sand_manms New Member

Dec 13, 2005
    South Mississippi
    Thanks Rick. I was wondering. I went to the site and it said New York. They must have moved recently.

14. Chairman

Chairman Senior Member

Dec 2, 2002
    Henry County
    Yeah, I saw that too.

It shows a New York mailing address, but the Precision Rifleworks forum shows Mississippi... :confused:

15. Underclocked

Underclocked New Member

Jan 27, 2003
    Greenfield, MO. USA
    Read my previous post fellers. :rotfl:

Try some true conicals in those Encores - that will tell the tale on the QLA. (And I think that is what TooTall was shooting before and after). My stainless .45 was the same way (probably WORSE) before it was chopped and recrowned.

You guys with Encores should get Mike Bellm's free download (autorun.exe). Pretty good detail on tearing down those actions and getting them back together right. Armed with that info and one of his springs (and maybe a honing stone) you can make those triggers right. http://www.bellmtcs.com/Prod_and_Serv/free_cd.htm

16. Chairman

Chairman Senior Member

Dec 2, 2002
    Henry County

I thought I heard that somewhere's...and now I know! :rotfl:

17. JackJr

JackJr New Member

Nov 30, 2002
    Land Of BLAHS
    Darrel, glad to see you can now shoot real boolets outta yer Encore. I gots two barrels I need that dun to.:wave: But I think I oughta have UC do them.:eek:

Jack

18. 1madjack

1madjack New Member

Feb 17, 2006
    ebenezermo

19. tootall

tootall New Member

Feb 25, 2006
    Kansas
    Jack

I saw the pictures of UC's barrel, it looked everybit as good as this one.

Probably overspent a little on this project but it was fun getting it to shoot.

Darrel:)

20. Gamegetter

Gamegetter Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2004
    I guess I'm glad I have no idea what language you folks are speaking. It sounds a lot more complicated than powder, bullet, primer, aim and shoot. :sniper: