Elk Shot in Boone County

Discussion in 'Whitetails General' started by sandals, Nov 13, 2017 at 2:02 PM.

1. sandals

sandals Quack

Nov 13, 2014
    bourbon
    Taken from facebook.
    boone.jpg
    14-year-old Abby Wilson shot a bull elk in Boone County, Missouri thinking she had just shot a huge whitetail deer. After the shot she texted her Dad Donald White and told him he better get over to her stand. Don said he could hear her stand shaking she was so excited. He asked her where her "buck" was and she pointed and when he saw it he was shocked. He immediately called the Missouri Department of Conservation and within an hour agent Adam Doerhoff was on the scene. At this time no citations have been wtitten but agents confiscated the elk for CWD testing and to try and determine whete the elk came from. How is that for a 14-year-old?! That is a deer camp story for the ages. PLEASE BE RESPECTFUL IN YOUR COMMENTS TOWARD THIS YOUNG LADY). (Pictured: Abby Wilson and Boone County Conservation Agent Andy. Doerhoff)

vonfatman and DougC like this.
  2. DougC

DougC Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2008
    Independence
    Nice buck! :banging: Hope the family at least gets to keep the meat.

3. 20'

20' Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2017
    Make more every year! Technically it is a deer correct?

4. Inventive

Inventive New Member

Oct 29, 2014
    I'm not sure I would have even thought to talk to a kid hunter about the possibility of seeing/not shooting elk if I wasn't in an area where they're known to run around.

dmj and Hawk like this.
  5. 20'

20' Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2017
    Mdc needs to tell the elkvto stay at peck ranch, maybe it's time for elk season

6. rat

rat Legbone

Dec 13, 2005
    Not necessarily from Peck considering how poorly some of these exotic guys keep up fences.

7. DougC

DougC Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2008
    Independence
    I guess that Peck Ranch and escapees from high fence operations like that one could eventually (re)populate the state! :thinking:

BustinBucks likes this.
  8. 20'

20' Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2017
    Nah, MDC has them in order

cy912 likes this.
  9. sandals

sandals Quack

Nov 13, 2014
    bourbon
    It was shot about an hour north of Mizzou. No where near peck ranch.
    It also didn't have a collar on it.
    My guess is a high fence escapee

10. rat

rat Legbone

Dec 13, 2005
    I mention it because there were elk sightings in MO before the peck ranch project.

11. Hawk

Hawk Well-Known Member Sponsor

Oct 15, 2009
    I hope they let them or someone salvage the meat... heck, Id let the poor kid keep the head. I can almost guarantee it was an honest mistake

12. MOGC

MOGC Well-Known Member

Apr 13, 2008
    SE Ozark's
    That kid shouldn't be hunting if she can't identify a deer from a whatever else wanders along. If that elk came from the introduced Peck Ranch herd tickets should be written.

20' and Chew like this.
  13. Vikestand

Vikestand Over There

Oct 21, 2013
    Sainte Genevieve
    Was wondering how long it would take somebody to say this. Shocked MM wasn't the first though...lol

bocomo and wiser1 like this.
  14. Hawk

Oct 15, 2009
    Im assuming youve sat youre kid downa and went thru all the possible animals they could see in mo that arent whitetails?? Fallow deer, elk, mule deer, etc??

doepee, dw84, vonfatman and 1 other person like this.
  15. oneshot 1

oneshot 1 Well-Known Member

Jun 11, 2003
    Ozarks
    Can't agree more this is BS to consider anything else.

There has been Moose in the area.

oneshot

:D After 3 Days smells the same.

16. MOGC

MOGC Well-Known Member

Apr 13, 2008
    SE Ozark's
    Well, I taught them what a deer looked like. They clearly understood their intended legal game animal and how important it is to clearly identify the target. Pretty simple really... though I'm sure you intend to spin it otherwise somehow.

20' and DCSarchette like this.
  17. crappiehunter18

crappiehunter18 Active Member

Nov 9, 2014
    Reports and Sightings (cameras )in Henry county,heard on the west end by Grand River. Was on the news couple of weeks ago

18. riverrat09

riverrat09 Member

Nov 2, 2010
    Norborne, Mo
    Heard of someone seeing one in Carroll County near Carrollton about a week ago

19. Hawk

Oct 15, 2009
    Its a kid. No citations should be given.

folaRefuze likes this.