Elevated shot placement

Discussion in 'Archery Hunting' started by Hannibal Bowhunter, Oct 28, 2010.

1. Hannibal Bowhunter

Hannibal Bowhunter Active Member

Sep 15, 2007
    Hannibal, MO
    All this talk of shot placement reminded me of a question I had. If you are hunting from an elevated stand overlooking a creek bottom and have a 35 yard shot. Your stand is probably 30 feet above the creek bottom. Where do you aim? High? Low? Do you take this elevation into account for distance? Do you aim 30 yards? 40 yards? Just looking for some discussion.

2. seth_turner_04

seth_turner_04 Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2005
    Owensville, MO
    You aim for the horizontal distance. Also aim for the exit hole and not the entry hole.

If a deer is 40 yards away and you are 30 foot above it, the horizontal distance is 38 yards. That's not much of a difference. Just aim a hair under where you want the shot to exit on the opposite side.

3. Hannibal Bowhunter

Sep 15, 2007
    Hannibal, MO
    [rquote=1867910&tid=130033&author=seth_turner_04]You aim for the horizontal distance. Also aim for the exit hole and not the entry hole.[/rquote]

So that would mean that you still aim for 35 yards but hold a little high so that you exit through the middle of the vitals?

4. Judah

Judah Crossbow supporter

Oct 19, 2007
    Warren County
    25 yard line of sight 20 ft in the air means use your 20 pin. Use a shorter pin to compensate for the angle. But above all, PRACTICE THAT SHOT FIRST, so you will KNOW instead of guess. :cheers:

And always keep entry AND exit wound in mind not entry. :cheers:

5. seth_turner_04

Dec 18, 2005
    Owensville, MO
    [rquote=1867916&tid=130033&author=Hannibal Bowhunter][rquote=1867910&tid=130033&author=seth_turner_04]You aim for the horizontal distance. Also aim for the exit hole and not the entry hole.[/rquote]

So that would mean that you still aim for 35 yards but hold a little high so that you exit through the middle of the vitals?[/rquote]

That should put you pretty close.

6. seth_turner_04

Dec 18, 2005
    Owensville, MO
    Last year I shot and didn't kill a doe because I was hunting a very short stand and there wasn't much of an angle. I aimed for the entry hole only and basically the arrow went straight through the void area. If it was a steeper shot, it would have been fine to enter in that spot. Also on my buck that I got witht he bow last year I had a pretty steep shot and nearly shot too low on him.

Both of these shots were due to not thinking about an exit hole when I shot. :cheers:

7. DADAKOTA

DADAKOTA Active Member

Apr 18, 2006
    Is ther not a straight line between entry and exit? So if I aim for the exit (lower than entry) would I not hit low and then have a lower than planned exit hole?

8. Hannibal Bowhunter

Sep 15, 2007
    Hannibal, MO
    I don't think you 'aim' for the exit hole - I think you imagine where you want the exit hole to be. So if extremely elevated - you would aim higher to achieve the same exit hole...I think!?!?

9. Meller

Meller Well-Known Member

Sep 5, 2008
    [rquote=1867998&tid=130033&author=Hannibal Bowhunter]I don't think you 'aim' for the exit hole - I think you imagine where you want the exit hole to be. So if extremely elevated - you would aim higher to achieve the same exit hole...I think!?!?[/rquote]

correct

10. beanpile

beanpile just a no body

whats your definition of "extremely elevated"?