electric or propane

Discussion in 'Social Club' started by Brake, May 27, 2009.

1. Brake

Brake Active Member

Jan 28, 2005
    Livingston Co MO
    furnace? Which is best and most cost effective?

2. Ghost Hunter

Ghost Hunter Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2003
    I like electric because of the safety factor.

3. yankee

yankee Senior Member

imo corn, i warmed my home all winter, 2500 sq ft and a good michigan winter, kept it at 70 and warmed the home for approx 1200$ for the season

4. hillbilly

hillbilly Senior Member

Dec 27, 2006
    Fulton Mo
  5. Brake

Brake Active Member

Jan 28, 2005
    Livingston Co MO
    [rquote=1277193&tid=89385&author=hillbilly]Electric:cheers:[/rquote]y do you say electric? cost?

6. UrbanHunter

UrbanHunter Well-Known Member

7. Mule

Mule Well-Known Member

Sep 27, 2003
    Franklin County, MO
    If you are going to Air Condition also, take a good look at a Hybrid Heat Pump system. The HP takes care of the house in the mild temperatures 30+. Below that, the gas furnace takes over. Both operate in the temperature ranges where they are most effecient.

u2u if you want to discuss details.

8. leasburg

leasburg Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2007
    South County MO
    i work for the gas company.........electric is cheaper

9. ducks1

ducks1 New Member

Feb 10, 2008
    flo.missouri
    ELECTRIC IS CHEAPER ,BUT IT PHYSICS TOO. BET YOU GUYS DIDNT THINK I KNEW ABOUT THAT HUH. YOU ARE BLOWIN COOL AIR OVER HOT COILS. GAS IS WARMER AND MOISTER. I AHVE ELECTRIC AND WHEN ITS COLD OUT IT NEVER SHUTS OFFAND IS A DRY HEAT SO YOU HAVE TO RUN A HUMIDIFIER ALL THE THE TIME.

10. PMan

PMan Retired

Dec 3, 2002
    My home is all Electric------:cheers:

11. ducks1

ducks1 New Member

Feb 10, 2008
    flo.missouri
    [rquote=1277282&tid=89385&author=Plasticman]My home is all Electric------:cheers:[/rquote]
    mine is too.:dancin::dancin::dancin::dancin:

12. yankee

yankee Senior Member

i heat with corn, and clothes dryer is gas, oven is electric, hot water is gas, something bothers me when ya mix hot water and electric heat coils

13. ducks1

ducks1 New Member

Feb 10, 2008
    flo.missouri
    [rquote=1277292&tid=89385&author=yankee]i heat with corn, and clothes dryer is gas, oven is electric, hot water is gas, something bothers me when ya mix hot water and electric heat coils[/rquote]
    soon the house will all be gfci protected just wait its comin.

14. X-Tennessean

X-Tennessean Member

Nov 18, 2008
    Sikeston
    Hard to beat the ole wood stove !!!:woot:

15. jaytee

jaytee New Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Fair Grove
    Gas all the way. No worries when the power goes out, like due to an ice storm or tornado. 'Course most folks now probably have a generator but I still like gas.

16. Big L

Big L Trapper Groupie

Aug 8, 2008
    Bonne Terre
    propane fluctuates last year it cost the ol man about $2.25 gallon,they called him a couple days ago its $1.20 right now so he filled up.

17. FisherBoy

FisherBoy New Member

Sep 29, 2003
    Central Missouri
    I know if I ever redid things, I go with the ground source heat pump. In the long run it's cheaper, plus Obama has some big discounts for them this year.

18. mobiggerbucks

mobiggerbucks New Member

Jul 21, 2005
    lake of the ozarks
    Don't wory about it . The cost of propane fluctuates so wildly that you can't do any long term planning . The cost of electrc is slowly going up and will not stop in my lifetime .The bottom line is ,,,,,,, insulation . That is the ONLY thing that you can put in a house that will pay for its self . Think about it .

19. Chairman

Chairman Senior Member

Dec 2, 2002
    Henry County
    [rquote=1277282&tid=89385&author=Plasticman]My home is all Electric------:cheers:[/rquote]

Same here!

20. Rut-N-Strut

Rut-N-Strut New Member

Dec 19, 2006
    Jefferson City, MO
    [rquote=1277691&tid=89385&author=mobiggerbucks] Don't wory about it . The cost of propane fluctuates so wildly that you can't do any long term planning . The cost of electrc is slowly going up and will not stop in my lifetime .The bottom line is ,,,,,,, insulation . That is the ONLY thing that you can put in a house that will pay for its self . Think about it . [/rquote]

+1