Electric (in tank) fuel pump

Discussion in 'Social Club' started by 1FastCam, May 28, 2009.

1. 1FastCam

1FastCam New Member

Nov 25, 2002
    CT
    With electric fuel pumps they are either on or off right? There isnt any in between?
    :shrug:

2. Call Toad He is the Master mechanic :roll2::roll2::roll2::roll2::roll2:

:cheers:

3. knockemdeadd

knockemdeadd Active Member

Feb 3, 2007
    Arnold(St Louis)
    my limited experience(fortunately). they either work, or they dont, no in-between.:whiteflag:

4. I believe that is correct they are off or on. On a full size chevy truck you can hear them come on when you turn the key on.

5. SHORTSHOT

SHORTSHOT Active Member

Feb 24, 2009
    KANSAS CITY
    electric fuel pumps will come on for approx. 2 secs when the key is turned on. On ce you start the vehicle it will then be turned on while running. if i won't start try hitting the gas tank with a rubber mallet or soft faced dead blow to try to jar it to work long enough to start.

6. 1FastCam

1FastCam New Member

Nov 25, 2002
    CT
    Thats what I thought. Getting ready to trouble shoot a truck i got for free. Barely ran, bucked, acted like it wasnt getting any gas, and wouldnt go over 5mph. Sounds like fuel delivery. He changed the fuel filter, and it didnt change, but he didnt change the pressure regulator. Could also be a gummed up throttle body, but I doubt that.

7. SHORTSHOT

SHORTSHOT Active Member

Feb 24, 2009
    KANSAS CITY
    IF ITS A GM, CHECK THE INJECTOR CONNETIONS AT THE THROTTLE BODY. SOMETIMES THEY GET FRAYED AND DON'T MAKE A GOOD CONNECTION TO THE INJECTOR. SOUNDS LIKE THE SCREEN FOR THE FUEL PUMP MIGHT ALSO BE CLOGGED. PUT A PRESSURE GAUGE IN LINE FROM THE TANK AND CHECK PRESSURES. VERY LIKELY THE PUMP.

8. 1FastCam

1FastCam New Member

Nov 25, 2002
    CT
    Thanks Shortshot. Its a D21 Nissan. First thing Im going to do is run the diagnose mode on the computer. Hopefully that will reveal something. :cheers:

9. SHORTSHOT

SHORTSHOT Active Member

Feb 24, 2009
    KANSAS CITY
    NO PROBLEM. GOOD LUCK WITH THE DIAGNOSIS. TURNING WRENCHES IS MY CAREER. ANYTHING I CAN HELP WITH LET ME KNOW.:cheers:

10. 1FastCam

1FastCam New Member

Nov 25, 2002
    CT
    RGR that. Will do. :cheers:

11. 1FastCam

1FastCam New Member

Nov 25, 2002
    CT
    Found a PDF online about how to flash the computer to get the codes. THat'll be the first thing done. :cheers:

12. leasburg

leasburg Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2007
    South County MO
    mine was working in my s-10 and then i had to get towed twice in the same month, figured out it was the fuel pump, electric my mechanic who i trust said it was going out. havent had a problem since i replaced it. $650 part

13. 1FastCam

1FastCam New Member

Nov 25, 2002
    CT
    Its $200 for this one. I'll start cheap and work my way back. :D