Electric Brakes for my Truck??

Discussion in 'MWT Community Bulletin Board' started by Mailman, Apr 5, 2006.

1. Mailman

Mailman Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2005
    Blue Springs Mo
    OK....I'm showing my Stupidity here by asking this question. My brother-in-law sold me his 22 foot travel trailer and said I'd have to get electric brakes for my truck so I can stop while towing the trailer.......Here is the question: How do you use the thing? The guy at the hitch and trailer place just put it on under the dash and gave me the package it came in and off I went. I just thought you just hooked up the trailer and the brakes worked on it when you pressed on the pedal in the truck. It has this thing called Sync control and manual control?? Give me some pointers guys.......how do I get this thing to work right without jack knifing my rig?

2. Woods

Woods Cooyon, Back from NOLA

The sync control should be equal to amount of brake pedal applied. You should have it set to that when you don't feel the trailer pushing the tow vehicle or dragging it. The manual control is just that, you usually slide a lever over to apply the trailer brakes. I have used the manual control before, in a panic stop, to get the trailer to straighten out. I use a sway control on my travel trailer, but sometimes a very strong wind gust will get it swaying alittle. A very quick tap of the trailer brakes stops it. Just be careful no one is tail-gating. The trailer brakes will have a little rust on them each time from sitting, make your final adjustments after using the brakes a few times. Hope I didn't confuse you.

WOODS

3. rat

rat Legbone

Dec 13, 2005
    Right on woods!

I have a slide control but some are digital. My slide is the sync adjustment and this sets the amt of delay time between when you hit the pedal and when the signal is sent to the brakes on your trailer. I also have a setting on how much pressure is applied on the trailer. You should also have a manual button or other device depending on your controller that will engage only the trailer brakes without hitting the truck pedal.

Find you a big empty parking lot and mess with it.. you'll get the hang of it in no time.

4. Woods

Mailman, If you don't have a sway control. I would highly suggest you get one, a inexpensive friction sway control. I have watched a dually get pushed around pulling a 20ft camper on a windy day, not a fun ride.

5. 90acres

90acres Senior Member

Mar 4, 2003
    Wardsville
    Mailman, I have to set mine for each different trailer I pull and also if I'm loaded or empty. I set mine while I leave the subdivision. Using the manual control only(meaning no truck brakes), I adjust the trailer brakes to slow everything without skidding the tires. Then I test it a couple times with the brake pedal to make sure.

Mailman, I sent you a U2U.

6. rat

rat Legbone

Dec 13, 2005
    Absolutely 100% right on the money. That sway control is worth its weight in gold.

Do a lot of campin Woods? Wife and I love to go down around your area :)

7. Woods

We do a fair amount of camping, getting my two teenage daughters away from the boys to go camping can be a challenge. :stickfight: Were going to Sam A Baker last weekend of August with several friends. Hit mostly state parks, the private ones are way to much $$ if you camp often. Then in mid May, were heading south to New Orleans and then Florida with the camper for two weeks.

8. rat

rat Legbone

Dec 13, 2005
    Wow.. sounds fun.

We went to Sam A Baker couple of years ago and we are going back this year. Dunno when yet...

Ever tried St. Francois or Robertsville?

9. Woods

St Francois is nice, we like the loop in the far rear. Plenty of deer running around, watch your speed or the park ranger will do a meet and greet. Your not that far from Farmington.

Robertsville is small, but very private/shaded. Some of the spots can be a challenge to get into, if your not use to backing up a TT. Not allot to do there, but it does have access to the meramac river.

We will be camping at Onadaga memorial day weekend, were staying there on the way back from our Florida trip.

As far as state parks, if you don't have a reservation, don't go. You more and likely won't get a spot. Unless your camping during the week.

10. rat

rat Legbone

Dec 13, 2005
    Yea.. if we do a state park, we usually pick a dead weekend and show up on Thursday... thattaway, we usually have our pick of the sites. I'm thinking that we will prolly go to St. Francois first off this year.

Sorry to hijack the thread mailman.. maybe you need to meet us halfway in the state for a mini MWT campout!

11. Mailman

Feb 2, 2005
    Blue Springs Mo
    Woods.....this sway control you speak of.....I may have one...I really don't know. The hitch that comes with the trailer is a big heavy thing that slides into my two inch receiver and has two flat bars that have chains that hook onto the tongue of the trailer. Brother-in-law says it is to level up the load. Other words...when you drop the trailer weight on the ball the weight of the trailer forces it down considerably. With the flat bars and chains hooked to the hitch and tongue I think he said you use a pry bar and torque the thing tight and it levels the whole rig straight so there is no squating. It all rides even with no bounceing on the hiway. Is this my "Sway Control" or just a load leveler?

12. rat

rat Legbone

Dec 13, 2005
    Load leveler or weight distributing hitch is whatcha got there. I also have a sway control bar that goes from my hitch to the side of the toungue on the trailer.

Weight distributing hitch will help with sway a bit.

13. Woods

Yep, weight dist bars. If it's raining, I won't put too much tension on the bars. The bars move weight to the front of the tow vehicle, which takes away some traction from the rear wheels. Same with the sway control, back it down when raining.

A sway control example: http://www.reeseprod.com/ look under products, then #2 window, weight dist. A pic of the sway control is on there.

14. 90acres

90acres Senior Member

Mar 4, 2003
    Wardsville
    I have the sway control like #3 on Woods' link. Seemed to work fine.

15. Woods

I have used the standard fricton sway controller for several years now. I've towed to Wyoming and back and it worked great. There are better ones out there, but IMO. Unless your in the 30ft TT range, not worth the money. My TT is 26ft long.

16. Mailman

Feb 2, 2005
    Blue Springs Mo
    Thanks guys for the info. I haven't taken possession of the trailer yet so I can't run out and looks at exactly what I have. My brother-in-law is somewhere in California or somewhere. He is an overpaid Rep for S. C. Johnson company and is on the road quite a bit. When ever he gets back in town we are to get together and he will instruct me on the trailering stuff and operations of the rest of the trailer. It is sort of like having Christmas presents under the tree and knowing what is under all the pretty wrapping paper but have to wait for Christmas morning to open them. :banghead: