Eight weeks to go! SD bound!

Discussion in 'Predators' started by glennasher1, Apr 21, 2006.

1. glennasher1

glennasher1 Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2004
    Radcliff, KY
    Just about ready to go, I only have eight more weeks to wait. It will fly by, I'm sure. Luckily, all the ammo, but dribs and drabs, is loaded and ready to pack into the truck, all the rifles are ready to go, and all I gotta do, is go to the bank and beg for a loan for the gas money:eek: That's the only scary part, scraping up gas money for a 3000 mile round trip! Luckily, there are three others who'll be going along from Louisville, and we can split the gas, otherwise, it WOULD take a bank loan!:banghead: Hopefully, the supplies will even out, and the price come down a little before then. Whew! We'll be riding in a new Z-71 gas hog, but maybe it'll do better than the 16 mpg that I'm budgeting for (not my truck, I don't know what kind of mileage it gets). Eight weeks!:sniper:

2. beanpile

beanpile just a no body

IGOR ws going sometime this summer too..tried to talk me into it but I dont have a small caliber long range tack driver to take...also with the gas prices going like they are its all I can do to save up for the Elk hunt in Colrado this coming Oct.

Good shootn to ya

3. rat

rat Legbone

Dec 13, 2005
    Oh man.. sounds like a blast! Dont worry bout the gas.. I'll be getting bout 13 if I'm lucky here in about 13 days, 8 hours and 28 minutes on my trip to eastern ks to blast away at those p-doggies! Not that I am counting the days though.. :banana::dancin:

BTW.. just got in a 3" sunshade for my burris.. shouldnt that help with mirage that I am seeing from the bbl heat?

4. winger

winger New Member

Oct 24, 2003
    hey rat, you might try to go to western kansas for the p-dogs, eastern kansas you might have a hard time finding them.:rotfl::rotfl:

i am getting pumped myself. dad said we are looking at the middle of may for our trip to western kansas, pups ought to be up and shooting should abound. 700 rounds loaded and just put an order in to midsouth to make up three hundred more 22-250 rounds. thinking about stocking up on a couple more hundred .223 and should have plenty to go. that ought to bring the gas mialege down on the truck.:banghead:

good luck in the p-dog towns boys.

5. rat

rat Legbone

Dec 13, 2005
    Geez.. I AM a doofus!! :bangin::bangin:

Yep.. extreme southwestern KS... I'm pumped! Think my timing is right as far as pups being out and about? Early May?

6. glennasher1

Sep 16, 2004
    Radcliff, KY
    3" sunshades will help some, I've used 4" pretty well. If you have an old venetian blind lying around , or see one out in the trash on trash day, snatch it up, and use it, too. They are lightweight, and just about exactly the right width to put on the barrel, they force the heat waves away from the middle of the scope's view (Heck I think you can buy a whole new one from a Dollar General store for under $5, then cut them up for each rifle's barrel, that's what I'm going to try this trip) You won't need one for anything under 12X though, mirage doesn't get too bad until about 15X or more, then it can go all squirrelly on you. It DOES help you read the wind, once you get way more sophisticated than I am. I think you could get away with just taping it onto the rifle, to tell the truth, but a little airway underneath would sure help with those .22/250s, any air circulation helps cool them off. Dangit, you guys are making me want another .22/250, I really miss what they do to the range rats! Air Time, Big Time!The little guns I'm taking on this trip just wad them up and kill 'em, .22/250s on up, flip and toss them like they were in a tornado.:D I think I know someone with a new-in-box Savage they want to swap, hmmmmmmmmmm.

7. rat

rat Legbone

Dec 13, 2005
    Thanks Glen!

BTW.. this is the first savage centerfire I have owned and I must say, I am way more than pleased so far!

We are custom-building a shooting bench to fit in the back of my truck next week. It will be easy to take down for transport and plenty stable for sandbags and bipod and spotting scope.. should fit two of us back there no prob including cooler of ice cold sodas (???) and such.

Chompin at the bit for some "ratrobatics" as you say Glen!!

Thanks for the heads-up on different varmit sites.. I have been getting lots of good info there!:cheers::cheers:

8. glennasher1

Sep 16, 2004
    Radcliff, KY
    beanpile, you'll just have to get with it, and go! It's only money! Heck, if you're like me, you could miss a few meals and never notice, the kids don't need no steenkin' shoes, it's summertime! Mortgage payments, who cares? :hysterical::hysterical:
    Seriously, there's always next year, except, there isn't, sometimes. I didn't go for the longest time, when I did, I regretted NOT going all those years before. I guess you feel the same about elk hunting, maybe. I like the PDs, they are a lot easier to field dress and drag out:cool3:
    We'll keep up the pressure, of course, so you can get all excited about it, next year! It's way too fun to pass up.

9. rat

rat Legbone

Dec 13, 2005
    I smell a MWT prairie dog trip next year brewing up..........:sniper:

10. glennasher1

Sep 16, 2004
    Radcliff, KY
    rat, I think I've created a monster! Anyway, I'm glad all those websites are helping you out, they can be pretty entertaining, I sure like them! Savages can be hard to look at, but they sure shoot well, and are a serious value. I've been using them for about 10 years now, and I really like them a lot. I AM working on a trade, but it'll likely be for a .223 that will be rebarrelled to something "else" like a .17 Remington or fancy .221 or something with a custom barrel, I'm getting kinda bored with the "everyday" stuff, and have an interest in something really top-notch in accuracy. It's a disease, I guess:)
    You should check the local regs about your truckmounted bench, some states like SD mandate that you have to keep your feet on the ground when hunting! There aren't any trees big enough for treestands, so deer hunting is ground based, and so is PD shooting, oddly enough. Strange place, strange rules, I abide by them, I don't think an Indian Reservation jail would be the place for me!:frown:

11. rat

rat Legbone

Dec 13, 2005
    We're ok with that setup as far as I know from what I missed last year..

Thanks for the heads-up though.. I will look into it.

12. huntforfunnfood

huntforfunnfood New Member

Jun 30, 2003
    new bloomfield mo
    man i am such a loser :horse: all i ever do is dream about rat bustin' i gotta get my crap together and go one of these days

13. winger

winger New Member

Oct 24, 2003
    rat, you're good in kansas with that set up.

14. kc704

kc704 Senior Member

Dec 9, 2004
    Missouri
    Don't fret too much about that gas mileage. We took my Dad's new '06 Z-71 with 3.73 gears to Tennessee and back last week. First tank averaged 19.3, second tank 18 something. Driving into the wind from St. Louis to KC we still got 16.5. We were loaded down also. Chances are your buddy's truck only has 3.42 gears if it is new. That should help as well. They quit making the Z's with the 3.73's for '06. Dad's truck came from another dealer and had 20 inch rims on it w/ 3.73's so he had them switch it over to the 17's, and the Z-71 pkg that was on the build sheet was deleted when they put the 20's on it so the dealer made it into a Z-71 for him since that was the condition of him buying the truck from them. Have fun poppin the dogs!!

15. glennasher1

Sep 16, 2004
    Radcliff, KY
    HFFF, all you gotta do, is work at it a little. One day back in '97, my buddy and I were at the range burning powder, and he looks over and sez, "You ever hear about Prairie dog shoots?" Of course, I had, but hadn't ever looked into it, as my truck was OLD and I didn't have any plans on getting a new one, and it is a LONG ways from KY to South Dakota. He said, "I think I'd like to do that, whaddya think?" So, we started gathering information from various sources, like The Varmint Hunter's Association (www.varminthunter.org) and other sources, and joined up with VHA, they sent me a ton of stuff to help us out.
    Then, one day in '98, we loaded up the HIS truck with camping gear, and off we went. It's been downhill ever since! We've done the gamut with gear, I was shooting a lot of .22/250, and he loved his .25/06s, but as we've progressed (regressed?) we've moved to smaller calibers, to make the shots trickier and more challenging, and less costly. It's a heckuva lot of fun, and we have had a lot of fun with trying new rifles and loads, and seeing what works for us and what doesn't. For example, a Savage .223, using heavy bullets (69 grain MK) is AS GOOD in the wind as a .25/06 with 90 grain bullets, and doesn't kick nearly as much, either, and burns a lot less powder, making it a much smarter choice. OF course, for really long shots over 500 yards, a .25/06, with longer 120 grain bullets, will rule the day, but that's what it's all about, having fun and learning the rifle.