Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
41 - 59 of 59 Posts

·
Super Moderator
25,883 Posts
As far as this year I agree its too early to panic about a drought. I remember 2012 that was bad so damn hot and dry . I has just purchased my property in Benton County hadn't put in any plots yet they would have been toast. My old farm in Putnam County saw significant outbreak of EHD that year. The two bothers that bought it found lots of dead deer.
Like 20 said who knows may get a cool July and rain.
It definitely doesn’t sting to have not planted spring plots this year.

·
Triple Creek Hunter
981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
Agee 20, I did plant my plot screen , Egyptian Wheat few weeks ago. It's about 6" tall hope it makes it. Like to plant my turnip rape,radish plots late July keeping fingers crossed I can this year.

·
Super Moderator
25,883 Posts
Agee 20, I did plant my plot screen , Egyptian Wheat few weeks ago. It's about 6" tall hope it makes it. Like to plant my turnip rape,radish plots late July keeping fingers crossed I can this year.
You and I both, I’ll be planting around then hoping for moisture! Love when the cheats say food plotting is the same as baiting!

·
5,334 Posts
Northwest Missouri isn’t worried about EHD due to drought anyway. We have been over saturated. Tons of rain. Most haven’t gotten crops in yet. Many are filing for prevent planting. I have a 42 acre field that is only half or maybe even less there. Completely drowned out. First time ever I may have to replant corn this late. IF IT will dry up. Rain rain and more rain. I’ll take it any day over drought though.

·
5,334 Posts
2012 was almost the beginning of the 1930 again. Calves went from $500 each to $1700.
Why? Because you had to go back to about 1940 to get a cattle herd as small as we had in 2013. Everyone nationwide had to sell most everything off due to drought. City folk only knew that their yard didn’t need mowed. Farmers and ranchers knew we were in the verge of importing all our food. It was that bad nationwide. Luckily we have been in a wetter cooling trend since then. Which is why Turkey hatches have been pathetic. Cold cold cold and wet wet wet.

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
EHD hit in our area of Western IA last year, really bad about 10-20 miles north of my farm. We lost a buck that would have scored 180-185. Sad
That’s the bad thing about EHD is that it takes out the most mature bucks. Out of all the deer I have found dead around water in EHD years only a few of them were does, mostly all big bucks.

·
Under appreciated
92,120 Posts
That’s the bad thing about EHD is that it takes out the most mature bucks. Out of all the deer I have found dead around water in EHD years only a few of them were does, mostly all big bucks.
That makes sense knowing that there is a fitness penalty as they age.

41 - 59 of 59 Posts