Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
21 - 40 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
819 Posts
I know lots of rain n. Part of state. Some storms even in my area (gasconade county) missed farm by a mile literally. I've had 0.14 of rain in June. 2 days in last 3 weeks or so less than 95 degrees.
My "3 days a year for records" just rough approximation of how many there would be in 120 years of record keeping. Yeah I understand some records 100 years ago and some very dry summers in 1930s and 1950s.
But I still expect this to be bad. The NWS and weather channel 30 60 90 day outlooks all predict the very center of abnormally hot and abnormally dry right centered over missouri.

·
Triple Creek Hunter
981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
37% chance of rain in Benton County on Thursday another 35% chance Sunday. Not showing anything through Jul 4th. Most days mid to high 90s. Looks like North part of state may get some rain.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
EHD scares crap out of me I have talked with guys from north MO that had their herds severely depleted due to EHD
That was me. Had plenty of mature in my herd till hit. Had to start from scratch with all 1.5 yo bucks. Think young bucks where bedding out in open areas with doe and mature bedding and watering in normal thick creek bottoms. Took 3+ years before had anything that resembled a shooter.

·
Triple Creek Hunter
981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Think I will go out tomorrow and fill in that mud hole. I have read stagnant water is breeding ground for the midge fly that can cause EHD. Really don't need it with the fresh water creeks going through my property

·
Registered
821 Posts
There is still more to it than just a mud hole and a midge. Once a midge hatches it then must feed on a host animal that has the disease. This is most commonly a cow which is a carrier, but not negatively effected. If the midge hatches and feeds on an infected cow then feeds on a deer, then the deer can become infected with EHD.

The chances of your mineral lick being the cause are not very high and could be 0 if there is no cattle within a few miles. More often than not it’s a watering pond for cattle on a nearby property, midge hatches and feeds on cattle that come to water, then subsequently feeds on deer at same water or other nearby water.

·
Registered
3,582 Posts
I've been writing it down when I empty my rain gauge at my place in Williamsburg (east Callaway Co, north of 70).
Since May 1st, thru last week, I have emptied 7 3/4" out of my rain gauge. Looks like maybe a chance of rain again this Friday & Saturday. 🤞

There has always been and always will be someplace in the US having drought like conditions.

I don't think I have heard of any of those places turning into deserts, it always seems to come back around the other way.
I understand that some of the lakes out west are at record low levels but a lot of that has mismanagement of the water usage to blame as well. (Agriculture, etc.)

Weather is cyclical, always has been and always will be. In the 70's the climate alarmists were predicting a coming Ice Age again. It's all to scare people into giving the climate study programs money.
Or in Let's Go Brandon's case, it is to transition our economy to a "green" version that is neither ready or economical.

Just my two cents.

Reactions: 170BC

·
Triple Creek Hunter
981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Agree weather is cyclical but without question we are in a period of climate change. Not smart enough to say it's man made or mother nature but our climate here in the Midwest has changed. I remember gun hunting in late 60s early 70s when it was so cold it was hard to stand sit for more than couple hours. Remember buying boot blankets in mid 70s used them alot haven't used them in at least 15yrs. Last several years with exception of 2020 all you needed was a decent coat sometimes just a hoodie.
Thing that really jumped out to me was 2016, year we traveled around Alaska. We visited many many glaciers. Most had signs pointing out where glaciers were in the 70s vs current locations. It was quite the eye opener! Glacier Nat Park glaciers are almost gone.
Again can't say if we are just in a period created by mother nature or man made. Personal opinion is combination of both. Would love for my grandkids to be able to enjoy seeing what I have seen over my 74 years.

·
Registered
3,582 Posts
Agree weather is cyclical but without question we are in a period of climate change. Not smart enough to say it's man made or mother nature but our climate here in the Midwest has changed. I remember gun hunting in late 60s early 70s when it was so cold it was hard to stand sit for more than couple hours. Remember buying boot blankets in mid 70s used them alot haven't used them in at least 15yrs. Last several years with exception of 2020 all you needed was a decent coat sometimes just a hoodie.
Thing that really jumped out to me was 2016, year we traveled around Alaska. We visited many many glaciers. Most had signs pointing out where glaciers were in the 70s vs current locations. It was quite the eye opener! Glacier Nat Park glaciers are almost gone.
Again can't say if we are just in a period created by mother nature or man made. Personal opinion is combination of both. Would love for my grandkids to be able to enjoy seeing what I have seen over my 74 years.
I disagree we are in a period of climate change, (other than normal cyclical changes)

Average temps and average lows in St Louis by year.
From currentresults.com

Do you see a warming pattern? Me neither.
Looks like it just fluctuates around the same temps every year. 2016 & 2018 would stand out as being cooler. But even then, neither one had the coldest avg monthly temp.

Reactions: thwackaddict

·
Super Moderator
25,883 Posts
I think we may forget some of the cold stuff, just a couple 4 years ago I was hunting Dec 4 and it was 17 below with windchill.....I remember it well as I killed a good one. I can also remember just a couple years ago it being cold heck for firearms opener! there have been some warm ones as well.

·
Registered
3,582 Posts
Reactions: thwackaddict

·
Triple Creek Hunter
981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
As far as this year I agree its too early to panic about a drought. I remember 2012 that was bad so damn hot and dry . I has just purchased my property in Benton County hadn't put in any plots yet they would have been toast. My old farm in Putnam County saw significant outbreak of EHD that year. The two bothers that bought it found lots of dead deer.
Like 20 said who knows may get a cool July and rain.

·
Registered
3,582 Posts
What's causing massive Glacier and ice melts around the world? Look at Mt Everest thrawing. Melting revealed things not seen in many many years.
What glaciers are you talking about? I read somewhere that the southern ice shelf is actually growing!

Did you notice than when the ice does melt, they're always finding flora and fauna underneath it? Lol

Weather is cyclic, always has been and always will be. Whether or not we are here.

·
Triple Creek Hunter
981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Look at almost any Glacier in Alaska, Glacier Nat Park or for that matter almost anywhere in the world they are receding at alarming rates.
Look not trying to change your mind you have your opinion I have mine that's bottom line.

·
Registered
3,582 Posts
Look at almost any Glacier in Alaska, Glacier Nat Park or for that matter almost anywhere in the world they are receding at alarming rates.
Look not trying to change your mind you have your opinion I have mine that's bottom line.
Okay, 👌

21 - 40 of 59 Posts