Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Triple Creek Hunter
983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With forecast for our area over next few weeks wonder about possible EHD outbreak. Reminds me of 2012. My property wasn't hit too bad back then. Think having spring fed year round creeks helped blunt the outbreak.
I know certain areas of the state got hammered

·
Registered
820 Posts
Basically no rain once you got 15 miles or so s. Of missouri river. Already bad drought in Kansas and Oklahoma. Yeah likely gonna be huge ehd year at least in South missouri. We've had what, all time record highs for date 4 of last 6 days?

·
Super Moderator
25,888 Posts
Basically no rain once you got 15 miles or so s. Of missouri river. Already bad drought in Kansas and Oklahoma. Yeah likely gonna be huge ehd year at least in South missouri. We've had what, all time record highs for date 4 of last 6 days?
do 4-6 days constitute a drought??? Records are made to be broken:)

·
Registered
820 Posts
So there's about 120 or 130 years of accurate weather data. So maybe 3 days on any given year ought to set records. I think we've already surpassed that less than half way thru year. We're still over a month from what is normally hottest time (mid July to mid august). Would not be at all surprised to see weeks of 110 to 115 then. Guess we will see....

·
Super Moderator
25,888 Posts
So there's about 120 or 130 years of accurate weather data. So maybe 3 days on any given year ought to set records. I think we've already surpassed that less than half way thru year. We're still over a month from what is normally hottest time (mid July to mid august). Would not be at all surprised to see weeks of 110 to 115 then. Guess we will see....
Maybe we will have the coolest July on record! I don’t want droughts or ehd, but nothing we can do will contr it

·
Under appreciated
92,120 Posts
Hahahahahahahahahaha

So, we will have weeks that get to 110 or 115?

Jeezo man… I think you really have yourself convinced of some of the things you say.

·
Registered
812 Posts
120yrs of quality data is not even a drop in the bucket of the weather since the last major ice age....just because we set a "record" based on our data set, it doesn't mean we are setting an actual record.

not that I also don't hate dry, hot weather..

·
Under appreciated
92,120 Posts
C’mon man… we are going to have weeks of 110-115 degree weather. Lol

·
Triple Creek Hunter
983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Question, in one of my plots I have a mineral lick that has been dug out to point of being a small water hole. It's probably good 4ft in diameter. Have lots of fresh water in couple creeks that run through my property. Concerned deer using this dug out hole for drinking thus congregating them. Have lots of critters using the water hole from turkeys to bobcats ect. Creeks are about 1/8-1/4 mile from plot.
Think I should fill in hole? Anyone hearing anything on EHD yet? Just recall how bad it was in 2012 in some areas.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Question, in one of my plots I have a mineral lick that has been dug out to point of being a small water hole. It's probably good 4ft in diameter. Have lots of fresh water in couple creeks that run through my property. Concerned deer using this dug out hole for drinking thus congregating them. Have lots of critters using the water hole from turkeys to bobcats ect. Creeks are about 1/8-1/4 mile from plot.
Think I should fill in hole? Anyone hearing anything on EHD yet? Just recall how bad it was in 2012 in some areas.
I bet the salt concentrate in H2O will keep from bring a problem.

·
Triple Creek Hunter
983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks, what I recall from last outbreak it was caused by a small fly or midge. The flys typically were around small mud holes I guess that's the reason for my concern. I use the trace mineral blocks to create my licks.
In 2012 they were finding lots of dead deer in parts of Benton County. I never found any on my place right or wrong I contributed it to the fresh water creeks on my property. At that time the lick was just getting started.
EHD scares crap out of me I have talked with guys from north MO that had their herds severely depleted due to EHD

·
Registered
3,582 Posts
So, who set the "3 days on any given year" bar as the mean standard for record setting temperature days?

Have you kept track of the years the previous records were set? You might find some surprises. Lol

Weeks of 110-115 seems to be a really big stretch for Missouri, Death Valley or a desert maybe.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts