Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
White Board Man
14,380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I broke down and bought some carbons this weekend, been shooting XX75's for a long time now.

I think I am going to be pleased with them. I didn't shoot alot this weekend too dang hot outside and was busy all day Saturday, but the dozen times or so I did shoot I was pleased. Going to have to make some sight adjustments though.

I think I remember HFFF talking about the regualr Epics and having a hard time finding them, well over at Aim or Everharts over in JC they still have a bunch of house arrows left if you are still in need.

·
5,632 Posts
They might have some 400's or 300's but they're out of 340's

Everhart's, that is

·
PURE KILLER
38,024 Posts
i almost made the switch yesterday myself,but i talked myself out of it and went ahead and ordered a dozen 2213's.kinda hard for me to switch from something that works okay for me,maybe next year.

·
Registered
38,393 Posts
All the hype is true!!!! You'll never bend another arrow by switching to carbons!!! Ya can still lose em though..(guilty). Yote, if ya make the switch, ya won't be sorry!!!

·
White Board Man
14,380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey I was just at Eastons web site and saw a reference made to broadhead rings and adaptors. What are these and do I need them?

·
5,632 Posts
blevely, rat was asking me the same question the other day. I'll tell you what I told him.....

I don't use them and I don't even know what they are!

I know...you're welcome. Good advice isn't cheap! Sorry I couldn't help you.

·
Registered
6,027 Posts
yeah i am the one that sorted thorough all there used boxes and the ones in the back to get all the old practice 340 :cool:

i maybe wrong but i beleive the broad head adaptor is because some of the shafts are so small now it allows for a smoth transistion between the broadhead/feild point and the shaft. i reall don't know waht differece it would make on a broadhead i could see if you couldn't get samller feild points were it might on targets but other than that i don't know what there for

·
White Board Man
14,380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks guys, guess I won't bother worrying what they are for. My points fit fine as with my broadheads.

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
47,296 Posts
I'm another one of those who hasn't switched to carbons, yet, but I'm thinking about it. I'm down to 9 arrows, so it may be happening sooner than I thought.

I just can't decide which ones I should be getting. There are as many different brands out there as there are opinions on each one.

·
PURE KILLER
38,024 Posts
yeah,thats kinda what i thought.i wouldn't know didily on them someone ought to educate us.

·
Under appreciated
92,120 Posts
Originally posted by huntforfunnfood
i maybe wrong but i beleive the broad head adaptor is because some of the shafts are so small now it allows for a smoth transistion between the broadhead/feild point and the shaft. i reall don't know waht differece it would make on a broadhead i could see if you couldn't get samller feild points were it might on targets but other than that i don't know what there for
Prezactly what they are for, far as I can tell. I ordered and installed
a couple but have not shot them yet...
I shoot axis st's and the broadhead body is larger diameter than the arrow shaft... leaves
a rough transition between the broadhead and the shaft..
These adapters are tapered and seem to smooth this transition out.
Have no idear if they are needed or not..

·
5,632 Posts
You just need to decide if you're gonna get real technical with building your arrows or not. Techically, your arrows need to be AT LEAST 5 grains per pound of draw. So if you shoot at 70 lbs, your arrows need to be no less than 350 grains total weight. Subtract the weight of your vanes, nock, insert, and tip and then divide that total by the length of your arrow and that will give you what your minimum grains per inch need to be.

The more expensive arrows have a better tolerance such as +/- .001 inches instead of +/- .005 like the Easton Epics. Also, the arrows that are very light per inch tend to be more expensive.

Now you need to decide if you'd rather have speed creating your kinetic energy (KE) or if you'd sacrifice speed for extra arrow weight. This is all up to you. People will go back and forth forever debating which is more effective. To me...KE is KE regardless how you achieve it.

** SIDENOTE **
KE is measured...
(speed x speed x arrow weight) / 450,240

For example, I shoot 390 grain arrows (Easton ST Epic with blazer vanes and 90 grain tips) at 270 fps. Therefore, my KE is (270 x 270 x 390)/450,240 == 63 ft/lbs. According to www.bowsite.com you only need between 25 and 41 ft lbs of KE to kill a deer.

Since I shoot 70 lbs, my minimum arrow weight needs to be no less than 350 grains. Say that raised my speed to 287 fps. My KE would then be 64 ft lbs. Six of one, half dozen of the other. Weight or speed. You pick.

Clear as mud?

The funny thing is...this really has nothing to do with carbon arrows.

Sorry! :bangin::rotfl::rotfl:

·
PURE KILLER
38,024 Posts
yepper clear as mud but gives a idea how to do it,thanks

·
Registered
306 Posts
guys,

to make this all simple......weight your carbon hunting arrow and devide by the pull weight....gives grains per pound....

I have been shooting carbon arrows since '95 and have never had one problem with them.....most any of them will give you a 2'' group at 30 yards which is plent good for hunting....

I used to shoot a lot of 3D and only shot ACC's, which are alum. with a carbon coating around that, for those of you who didn't know, but for hunting I guess I am to tight to lose/break them so I hunt with the cheapest carbons I can find when it is time for more arrows.......

the bushings mentioned above are for the thin arrows like the ACC to bridge the difference in the shaft size and the broadhead dia. You will only notice them doing there job when you pull them from the broadhead target....

Coyotehunter,

I only live a few miles east of Kingdom City and would gladly let you shoot some of the assortment of carbon arrows I have, so you could see the difference they really make. the truth is in the puddin'

hope this helps ...

Chromie

·
PURE KILLER
38,024 Posts
might have to take yopu up on that:dancin:

·
Registered
18,764 Posts
I think I'm going to make the switch this year finally to carbons since I can get myself a little bit ofa break on them.
I'm going to go with the Carbon Express Maxima 350 arrows. I'm needing new broadheads this year to but havn't totally decided what I'm going to go with. Leaning toward the G5 fixed blades. This of course may all be coming out of a new bow if all goes well but that isn't for sure yet. I may become the member formerly known as Hoytshooter............did I say that outloud!?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.