Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner

41 - 51 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
18,453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
Good Stuff @letemgrow .. !!!!!
It will be fun testing all these collections to check vigor/nutrient content. Here are some gama plants growing next to each other; however, the ones on the left are far lusher/greener than the ones on the right. I'll have to test ploidy and see if that's possibly the reason.

IMG_0062.jpg

·
Registered
18,453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
This is one reason I like to collect as many specimens as I can.

IMG_0035.jpg

There used to be a handful of plants around the old bridge, and now they're all gone from the construction. The plants I used to collect from 10 years ago aren't nearly as prevalent now as then. The current land practices aren't promoting the spread of gama so it's #'s aren't increasing from what I see.

·
Biology nit wit exposer
80,253 Posts
I have some banks around new culverts to establish something on to hold soil. I may grab some seed out of a patch I know of.

Reactions: letemgrow

·
Registered
18,453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
This is a seedling off the eastern gamagrass plant I have at the house with much broader blades than the rest of them. I’d say there’s a good chance it’s a tetraploid. It will produce identical copies of the original plant and is not cross pollinated like a diploid.

IMG_1469.jpg

·
Registered
18,453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
Going to keep me eye on this one variety. I collected from all 24 specimens the same day and stored them all the same way. Each specimen was planted 4 to a row the same day this spring. This one variety, so far, is blowing the rest out of the water.

IMG_1504.jpg

41 - 51 of 51 Posts