E-fence all done

Discussion in 'Deer Management, Habitat & Conservation' started by DPx2, Apr 21, 2018.

1. DPx2

DPx2 Psalm 31:6

Jul 5, 2009
    Didn't even have to pee on it to test it... and it worked 1st time....
    Seems that a 120v outlet tester works just fine to test.
    Chance of rain seemed to have passed for today tho 20180421_105651.jpg 20180421_105753.jpg

2. Wings Fan 19

Wings Fan 19 Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2008
    Kansas City, MO.
    I had very good results with mine last year. Whatcha got planted?

3. Maddog3355

Maddog3355 Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2014
    Maries County
    Don’t ever trust a tester, always bring a friend along.

4. WBF

WBF Wolf Brook Farms

Oct 25, 2013
    Is this your Maiden voyage with this particular setup? How big of an area do you have fenced off?

5. DPx2

Jul 5, 2009
    Beans, beans, and more beans.... Broadcast them thick...

Wings Fan 19 and WBF like this.
  6. DPx2

Jul 5, 2009
    It is, after reading the success folks have, I thought I'd try it.
    I guess it's about an acre in size.
    I bought the solar charger used, as well as the connectors/hangers, bought new wire and had posts already.
    I have$110 invested so far.
    I only ran 2 strands of wire. Have enough for another if I need it....

WBF likes this.
  7. WBF

WBF Wolf Brook Farms

Oct 25, 2013
    Looks good my friend!

DPx2 likes this.
  8. horntagger

horntagger Well-Known Member

Jun 30, 2003
    Southeast Missouri
    Just a question why did you pick wire over ribbon. Have been trying to decide if I want to do this in the future but keep putting it off.

9. Yahoo

Yahoo Well-Known Member

Sep 27, 2008
    St Charles
    As a note, I have a fence power supply I'll never used, its never used, like open in the package, that I'd let go fairly cheap - sorry to hijack, always meant to post it for sale somewhere - message me if interested - St Charles county - thanks!

10. WBF

WBF Wolf Brook Farms

Oct 25, 2013
    I'd be interested can you provide more info on the unit ?

DPx2 likes this.
  11. DPx2

Jul 5, 2009
    I had all the t posts and connectors for running wire, but if I were to do it all over again, or redo it, I'd use ribbon...
    Even my wife said after we put it up, one of the easier things we've done and didn't take us very long, 4 hours maybe? It was easy peasy.....I did put the fence 2 - 3 ft inside the area I tilled so the crp wouldn't grow into it. Used only 1 copper grounding rod, 8ft long, driven all but 6 inches into the ground.

WBF likes this.
  12. DPx2

Jul 5, 2009
    If it was solar, or DC, and closer, I'd be interested, but, maybe someone here is interested...

13. DPx2

Jul 5, 2009
    As a side note, I used a 25 mile, parmak solar Pak 6, 1.4 joules unit to charge the fence. When you shop chargers, they have different joules output for different animals if you're not familiar with them. I also used 17ga wire as opposed to larger like 14ga. I thought it was heavy enough and cost effective to try, but I think ribbon is definitely more visible. We tied plastic strips of plastic on the fence for visibility. Hope that information helps.
    Others on here have more experience with these fences, this is just what I tried to make work my first year.