DWGH Farm Projects Thread 2018

Discussion in 'Deer Management, Habitat & Conservation' started by deep woods goat hunter, Dec 27, 2017.

1. WBF

WBF Wolf Brook Farms

Oct 25, 2013
    Might check around for people wanting free cedar posts... have them come and cut themselves as long as they pile the limbs and the rest into a nice pile !

2. KChunter

KChunter Senior Member

I tried that for a while but didn’t really get anywhere. I have loads of hedge too. But my farm is basically in the cedar capital of the world, so supply far exceeds demand.

WBF and deep woods goat hunter like this.

3. deep woods goat hunter

deep woods goat hunter Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2004
    Moberly, MO
    Broke down and bought the new 45 gallon boomless UTV sprayer from Fimco today. I have all the stuff to fix my 25 gallon tank also, but I figured I could just use it as a backup/parts. These new utv tanks seem much better tanks than the most recent 25 gallon tanks from fimco that flexed and cracked.
    Henry, if you want your old 25 gallon tank that you gave me, I’ll drop it by. Otherwise I’ll use it for refills along with my leaky tank that I’m going to patch. Hopefully his will make for clean plots for next year.
    IMG_3753.jpg

4. henry

henry Fan Boy aka Mr Twisty and

Use it until I need it Joseph. I have a 45 gallon aluminum to haul water with.

5. deep woods goat hunter

Jul 6, 2004
    Moberly, MO
    I deep cleaned it the other day and actually is looking pretty nice.

6. deep woods goat hunter

Jul 6, 2004
    Moberly, MO
    Well, After I thought all hope was lost and not getting any pics of my #1 mature buck on the farm since 12/12, I pulled a camera I hadn't checked in over a month. OG was on it on 12/17... He was still packing both sides but it got me thinking, he kind of kept to himself away from the other 3.5 and 4.5 year old bucks on the farm. Maybe he lost his give a care about chasing does, T dropped and in turn dropped his horns early.
    I had just assumed that he was still hanging onto them and might have fallen victim to a Muzzy somewhere in the neighborhood as he was sporadic on cameras at times.
    Anyhow after a card pull yesterday, I really started looking for a bigger bodies deer with bare pedicals. What do you know there he was, or what should be him, all the other bucks that I knew had made it through rifle season were still packing.
    I cant know for sure, but I will be putting some miles on the boots looking for his sheds. IMG_0481.JPG IMG_2838.JPG IMG_2839.JPG IMG_2842.JPG

7. deep woods goat hunter

Jul 6, 2004
    Moberly, MO
    I think I’m going to like this new foodplot layout.
    Went ahead and burned it off. Totals to about 5.5 acres. Should get better production bringing away from field edges and to top of the ridge.
    Found first shed of the year in beans also.
    IMG_3789.jpg
    IMG_3784.jpg
    IMG_3787.jpg
    IMG_3786.jpg
    IMG_3775.jpg

EZRA likes this.
  8. henry

henry Fan Boy aka Mr Twisty and

That shed is awesome. :D

9. deep woods goat hunter

Jul 6, 2004
    Moberly, MO
    I know right???
    It counts!

10. centralMOhntr

centralMOhntr Active Member

Jul 26, 2008
    SWMO
    Glad to see you are getting out to do some good habitat work. Keep it up. I am not a huge fan up hinge cutting and it is for the exact reason in your picture. Each one of those trees "barber chaired" and that can be very dangerous. Big or small tree. If you haven't heard of barber chair trees, Google it. Might change your method of doing TSI. Other than that, keep up the good work.

11. deep woods goat hunter

Jul 6, 2004
    Moberly, MO
    I know exactly what it is and the risks associated. I’m doing conventional methods of tsi also. 45 degree angle escape routes and the right protective gear. I’m doing primarily hickory and maple, they do a really good job of holding together. Ash are much more brittle and I am cutting those conventionally with a face and back cut.

12. deep woods goat hunter

Jul 6, 2004
    Moberly, MO
    Central Mo hunter reminded me that I should probably share these three videos with you all if you are going to try/do any hinge cutting. This guy is a little wacky but seems to be the best three videos out there.

13. beanpile

beanpile just a no body

yesterday would of been a good day to burn..I used it to restock the wood pile.. that cold spell really put a hurtn to it & the wife likes to help

14. centralMOhntr

Jul 26, 2008
    SWMO
    I can tell you that guy knows nothing about chainsaw cutting safety. That or he doesn't care. Standing directly behind a tree that can barber chair, is the worst place to be. Also, standing under and pulling on a tree that is falling is not smart. Also, you mentioned that you are cutting hickorys and other hardwoods, those are the worst for barber chairing. They have strong fibers and hold together well. Hence the barber chairing. I am not trying to tell ya what do, just that it can be dangerous. Be safe out there.

15. deep woods goat hunter

Jul 6, 2004
    Moberly, MO
    Everybody is an expert

16. centralMOhntr

Jul 26, 2008
    SWMO
    Never said i was an expert and can happily tell you that I am not. I do know that hinge cutting is very unsafe and you don't stand under a tree pulling on it to come down and you don't stand behind a tree that is barber chairing. Other than that, have fun and be safe.

17. HEAVY

HEAVY Active Member

Mar 8, 2011
    Did you have any corn left? I brush hogged about 3 acres of ours on Sunday and I don't think I seen a kernel.

18. deep woods goat hunter

Jul 6, 2004
    Moberly, MO
    I mowed about a half an acre and there were full cobs on about 80% of that.

19. deep woods goat hunter

Jul 6, 2004
    Moberly, MO
    Cleaning out fence row progress. Transplanting cedars for road frontage. If I don’t get tired of digging them up may do some along edges of timber as well

birdhunter33 likes this.