DWGH Farm Projects Thread 2018

Discussion in 'Deer Management, Habitat & Conservation' started by deep woods goat hunter, Dec 27, 2017.

1. Wings Fan 19

Wings Fan 19 Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2008
    Kansas City, MO.
    Big Pete and I are starting the same deal on the big lease in 2 weeks. We have alooooooooot to get done.

jakewill83 likes this.
  2. deep woods goat hunter

deep woods goat hunter Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2004
    Moberly, MO
    This happened this weekend. Got to looking at tree composing along this “V” between my two bigger food plots, a LOT of hickory. Laid me down with hinge cuts. The habitat hook I ordered a few weeks ago came in handy dropping them where I wanted to. Should make a nice deer nest for next year. Also made a few isolated buck bed spots back off of the plots about 150 yards.
    IMG_3701.jpg
    IMG_3702.jpg
    IMG_3703.jpg

Wings Fan 19 and callaojoe like this.

3. henry

henry Fan Boy aka Mr Twisty and

Looking good Joseph. I'm hoping our contractor can start soon. I want the cedars I started on finished off.

4. deep woods goat hunter

Jul 6, 2004
    Moberly, MO
    Your thoughts on the cedars are that the deer just aren’t using them? They are good thermal cover until they get too big I’d think

5. henry

These are self pruning and have zero value. You can see clear thru the stand.

6. deep woods goat hunter

Jul 6, 2004
    Moberly, MO
    10-4 pretty worthless

7. Hunter75

Hunter75 Active Member

Sep 15, 2011
    USA
    A patch of closely concentrated cedars makes excellent cover for deer. I have found numerous deer beds under them and they are also excellent place to look for shed antlers.

8. deep woods goat hunter

Jul 6, 2004
    Moberly, MO
    Should be able to finish up the 7 acre section of TSI today. Pics to come

9. deep woods goat hunter

Jul 6, 2004
    Moberly, MO
    Several piles of fresh deer poo where I’ve dropped several big trees. I hope they like it
    IMG_3738.jpg

10. henry

Good luck knocking it out. Too slick for me to be running a saw where I want to. Hopefully it dries soon. I have a few to cut.

11. deep woods goat hunter

Jul 6, 2004
    Moberly, MO
    I finished up the 7 acre section. Only took about an hour and a half, so I took off on a hinge cut screening mission about 10-15 yards off the property line and along my pipeline easement. I cannot emphasize the importance of having a “habitat hook if you are going to try the hinge cut thing. It makes it so easy to control where you lay the trees down and leave enough meat for the tree to survive. I cleaned leaves out of several spots also to see if deer use them for beds. It will be an interesting day experiment to see how the deer react to this in what was previously very open timber. With that being said it still is for the most part but I will likely layer a few more bedding areas between the edges and where I plan to hunt this sectional n of the farm. Also, 90% of the trees I had now cut were hickory. They lay over and hold together very well.
    IMG_3741.jpg
    IMG_3742.jpg IMG_3743.jpg
    IMG_3744.jpg
    IMG_3747.jpg

12. DougC

DougC Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2008
    Independence
    Did you hunt or work this weekend?

13. deep woods goat hunter

Jul 6, 2004
    Moberly, MO
    Well being that season closed 1/15 I worked today

EZRA likes this.
  14. DougC

DougC Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2008
    Independence
    Some might be out goose hunting...
    Nice work on your property-I'm sure you're creating a honey hole!

15. Wings Fan 19

Dec 4, 2008
    Kansas City, MO.
    We laid waste to a BUNCH of cedars and gonna have at it tomorrow.
    The new saw did work and didn't skip a beat. 5 tanks of gas knocked the new off her.

DougC likes this.
  16. KChunter

KChunter Senior Member

What did you do with all the cedars once you cut them? I’m finding that to be my biggest issue without equipment to move and stack them.

17. WBF

WBF Wolf Brook Farms

Oct 25, 2013
    My place was overgrown with cedar. In the right spots we would leave them for cover (more so rabbits, quail, etc.) areas we wanted complete removal we just burned them - fuel oil + a match makes quick work of em.

18. Wings Fan 19

Dec 4, 2008
    Kansas City, MO.
    We just cut them and leave them, there will be timber burns in the next few years. And someone may go back in and drag out some for fence posts etc, but I'm not doing that ninja work!

19. KChunter

KChunter Senior Member

I cut another 50 or so today, lots of 3-6” and a few 12” or more. I just gave up trying to pile them and just started mowing them down. Just gonna have someone come in with a grapple I guess.