DWGH Farm Projects Thread 2018

Discussion in 'Deer Management, Habitat & Conservation' started by deep woods goat hunter, Dec 27, 2017.

1. deep woods goat hunter

deep woods goat hunter Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2004
    Moberly, MO
    Well its about time that I start a 2018 thread as it seems its all I've been thinking about the last few days. This will be a continuation of my 2017 thread located here https://www.missouriwhitetails.com/threads/dwgh-farm-projects-thread-2017.211739/#post-3268399 .
    A few projects that I am going to tackle as soon as bow season is over is MDC TSI on 7 acres and likely do a couple small henge cut areas, though I am not sure exactly where I will do them yet, still working on a strategic plan for that.
    One BIG project will be trying to get a permanent visual barrier from the road. I am going do a combination of Miscanthus Gigantus, hinger cutting trees parallel with the road, and transplanting a BUNCH of cedars. I have about 1000' of road frontage along my CRP field, so that will be fun. Let the games begin 1/16/2018!

Maddog3355, 20', EZRA and 2 others like this.
  2. venatic

venatic ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I'd be more ambitious on our property if I lived closer to it.

Good luck with all you have planned!

3. henry

henry Fan Boy aka Mr Twisty and

I hope to have contractors doing some work on my place after bow season Joe. I will be much to busy watching them cut to come watch you cut. :D

4. deep woods goat hunter

Jul 6, 2004
    Moberly, MO
    Whats your GP?

5. deep woods goat hunter

Jul 6, 2004
    Moberly, MO
    I couldn’t wait until the end of bow season. Today starts farm projects 2018 with Timberstand improvement on 7 acres. Going at it by myself today, going to see how far I get and pretty much cut trees until I get tired of it.

6. techteacher

techteacher Land buying addiction Lifetime Supporting Member

Sep 11, 2009
    Troy,
    Last time I did tsi work there was a healthy looking tree we were ring cutting my buddy cut about 1-2" deep and that's all there was of the tree. There was no center and it came down that was a scary one.

7. henry

I'm just sorry I am not home to watch you.

8. deep woods goat hunter

Jul 6, 2004
    Moberly, MO
    Well I got about eight hours of chainsaw time in after running the little saw most of the day I grab the big boy and I actually dropped some good size trees all in a circle to build a nest while still complying with the TSI format specified by MDC I only found 5 beds in the whole 7 acre section. There should be more now going forward.
    The best I can figure I covered about 2 acres worth of the 7. 2 or three more days should wrap it up. Today was all by myself except for about an hour that a buddy came out and ran the Tordon for me.
    IMG_3655.jpg
    IMG_3656.jpg

Dafish and River rat86 like this.
  9. henry

Looks good. I'm anxious to get our cutting done. We didn't do any last year.

10. DPx2

DPx2 Psalm 31:6

Jul 5, 2009
    DWGH - did your MDC PLC or the MDC Forester help you with your planning?

11. deep woods goat hunter

Jul 6, 2004
    Moberly, MO
    Local PLC helped cost share application process, measured basil area, marked trees and lots more. Ted Seiler, he is assigned to Macon, Randolph and Shelby counties. He is has been huge help and is a great guy.

12. DPx2

DPx2 Psalm 31:6

Jul 5, 2009
    Thanks! Sounds like he was a big factor in the process. I'l have to ring up my area PLC and get some ideas. Your projects get me wanting to get some improvements going myself!

13. techteacher

techteacher Land buying addiction Lifetime Supporting Member

Sep 11, 2009
    Troy,
    I used him on my farm in Shelby. I wish he was in Monroe county also.

14. venatic

venatic ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

You need to have a TSI party.

That's the next step I need to take on our place. Wish I lived closer to it.

15. deep woods goat hunter

Jul 6, 2004
    Moberly, MO
    Move!

16. Mailman

Mailman Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2005
    Blue Springs Mo
    I see some good traditional bow making trees that are down in the pics. ;)

17. henry

Use a contractor. In some cases you can negotiate a price that doesn't cost a great deal out of pocket to get it done. 02

18. beanpile

beanpile just a no body

I think the nbr paid something like $60 per acre

19. venatic

venatic ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Working on that.