Dwarf Chinkapin Oaks

Discussion in 'Deer Management, Habitat & Conservation' started by recurve, Jan 30, 2018.

1. recurve

recurve New Member

Oct 30, 2013
    I've been slowly working on about 8 acres of Timber Stand Improvement/Forest opening on my 40 acre farm. The basic summary of my farm is mostly a large creek bottom with a north and south ridge with a diverse timber. I have two alfalfa fields for horse hay/deer attractant. What I lack is the classic white oak for large acorns and good bedding habitat. I have some burr, some chinkapins, and some red oaks but most are tall and skinny with underdeveloped crowns. Hopefully some of the thinning around my larger oaks will help with crown sizes and eventually help with the acorn production.
    My TSI area is going to be my bedding habitat. It was an abandon pasture/field choked full of honey locust and dogwoods. I must have dropped over 300 small grey and rough dogwood trees in the area I'm working on. The honey locust were all chemically killed with Remedy last summer. All that is left are the few oaks (may 10 red and burr). I'm not confident about the number of oak sprouts I have in this TSI area and I know they will be slow growing. Good for browse but not acorn production.

I've ordered 25 (all that was left) Concordia oaks from MDC nursery in hopes of boosting my acorn numbers, but I was wanting to plant a few more given the high rate of mortality of any seedling (planning on caging them to protect). I've read through some of the older posts about scrub oaks/dwarf oaks as well as chestnut trees.

The first question is, what is the over consensus about planting DCO's? Worth trying to find or too slow? Seems like a mix of information in what I am reading?
    If they are worth it, where can I purchase seedlings? I believe I'm too late for planting acorns since white oaks need to be planted in the spring but maybe I'm wrong.

Any other thoughts on the chestnuts vs DCO?

I also thought about pear trees so that type of soft mast is another option.

What are your thoughts on my best options to get mast on the ground in the next 5-10 years?

Thanks,

Chris

2. gurgalunas

gurgalunas Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2013
    Platte City
    DCO are easy to grow from seed. There are several posts here with guys selling acorns if you do a search. Seed is available and planted in the fall, as the nuts sprout then.

Wings Fan 19 likes this.

3. truehunter

truehunter Active Member

Dec 30, 2015
    Not how chestnuts would do in your area they need full sun to produce mast . They are pretty easy to grow from but it seems . Best time to plant them I think is fall . Must protect from deer . I have about 100 seeds started now . What is your location?

4. truehunter

truehunter Active Member

Dec 30, 2015
    I will say this . I have an orchard I’m harvesting on another property . I have never seen a better food source for deer . The chestnuts that weren’t picked up were destroyed by deer and squirrels. Also part of the orchard that I didn’t harvest were all gone by prime rut time . So I guess they aren’t a late season food because they are gone

5. recurve

recurve New Member

Oct 30, 2013
    I'm located north of Kansas City airport.

6. truehunter

truehunter Active Member

Dec 30, 2015
    Ok I’m in franklin county. Long way . Thought maybe I could share some trees this fall

7. gurgalunas

gurgalunas Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2013
    Platte City
    That can't be too far. I'm just west of the airport...

Wings Fan 19 likes this.
  8. truehunter

truehunter Active Member

Dec 30, 2015
    My son lived in Overland Park . Took 4 hours on hwy 50 . I’m south west of Stlouis

9. truehunter

truehunter Active Member

Dec 30, 2015
    My son lived in Overland Park . Took 4 hours on hwy 50 . I’m south west of Stlouis

10. recurve

recurve New Member

Oct 30, 2013
    I'm just north of Weston.

11. Wings Fan 19

Wings Fan 19 Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2008
    Kansas City, MO.
    @letemgrow might know a thing or two about the DCO's.