Dumb question but i always kinda forget

Discussion in '2011 Whitetail General' started by johndeerehunter, Nov 3, 2010.

1. When adjusting a scope is it like sighting in a bow (following ur shots, shooting high move your site up, shooting left move left) or is it that if i shot left move it opposite meaning to the right.

2. hun10

hun10 Senior Member

Nov 29, 2006
    Up A Creek
    If you are shooting left then adjust the windage the direction it says for left. Your scope should have an arrow that will tell you. 1 click usually means 1/4" adjustment at 100 yards.

3. So i was shooting left, i needed to move my scope left.

4. Meller

Meller Well-Known Member

Sep 5, 2008
    :stickfight:

The scope adjustments mean bullet impact. If you are shooting left, then your bullet impact needs to move right. Adjust the scope to the right

5. arrowthrower

arrowthrower Member

Aug 1, 2008
    Willard
    No opposite direction you are hitting

6. ok thanks thats what i thought but shooting a bow ten times more than guns always makes me doubt myself

7. venatic

venatic ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

It's the opposite like MellerAM said. Messes me up everytime too. I get used adjusting my bow more than I do a scoped rifle.

8. mohunter32

mohunter32 Senior Member Lifetime Supporting Member

Jan 15, 2005
    Franklin Co, MO
    If you want the bullet to impact futher right, turn the turret in the direction marked right or R. If you want to move the impact of the bullet up, move the turret in the direction marked up or U.

9. BigJake

BigJake New Member

Dec 27, 2005
    [rquote=1877651&tid=130783&author=MellerAM]:stickfight:

The scope adjustments mean bullet impact. If you are shooting left, then your bullet impact needs to move right. Adjust the scope to the right[/rquote]

This. :cheers:

10. MarauderYak

MarauderYak New Member

Nov 6, 2006
    Springfield, MO
    I always forget too. That's why I do this instead... Use a good bench, vise, or something that will hold the gun still on it's own. Put the cross hairs dead on center of the bulls eye. Fire a round. Make sure the gun is in the same exact position by making sure the cross hairs are back on the exact same spot. Then, without moving the gun, adjust the cross hairs so they are on the point the bullet impacted (or below if desired). Then shoot a group to make sure everything is good.

11. hun10

hun10 Senior Member

Nov 29, 2006
    Up A Creek
    [rquote=1877660&tid=130783&author=mohunter32]If you want the bullet to impact futher right, turn the turret in the direction marked right or R. If you want to move the impact of the bullet up, move the turret in the direction marked up or U.[/rquote]

Isn't that what I said? Im confused.:confused::confused::shrug:

12. hun10

hun10 Senior Member

Nov 29, 2006
    Up A Creek
    [rquote=1877658&tid=130783&author=johndeerehunter]ok thanks thats what i thought but shooting a bow ten times more than guns always makes me doubt myself[/rquote]

Same here.:hysterical:

13. Mailman

Mailman Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2005
    Blue Springs Mo
    [rquote=1877690&tid=130783&author=MarauderYak]I always forget too. That's why I do this instead... Use a good bench, vise, or something that will hold the gun still on it's own. Put the cross hairs dead on center of the bulls eye. Fire a round. Make sure the gun is in the same exact position by making sure the cross hairs are back on the exact same spot. Then, without moving the gun, adjust the cross hairs so they are on the point the bullet impacted (or below if desired). Then shoot a group to make sure everything is good.[/rquote]

This system works great...but like MarauderYak said...."Make sure the gun is in the same exact position by making sure the cross hairs are back on the exact same spot." That is the only way it will work. Most deer hunters don't have the equipment to do this but it is the best way to do it and save on the amount of bullets and time used.

14. hun10

hun10 Senior Member

Nov 29, 2006
    Up A Creek
    I just do it the old fashioned way.:whinging:

15. cummins5.9

cummins5.9 Baller, shot caller

Sep 27, 2006
    Yes
    If you really want to mess yourself up, try adjusting the rear sight on an open sighted gun. Good gravy, it's like backing two wagons hooked together up.

16. mohunter32

mohunter32 Senior Member Lifetime Supporting Member

Jan 15, 2005
    Franklin Co, MO
    [rquote=1877696&tid=130783&author=hun10][rquote=1877660&tid=130783&author=mohunter32]If you want the bullet to impact futher right, turn the turret in the direction marked right or R. If you want to move the impact of the bullet up, move the turret in the direction marked up or U.[/rquote]

Isn't that what I said? Im confused.:confused::confused::shrug:[/rquote]

You may have. I dont' read every post in a thread.:cheers:

17. venatic

venatic ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

[rquote=1877714&tid=130783&author=Mailman][rquote=1877690&tid=130783&author=MarauderYak]I always forget too. That's why I do this instead... Use a good bench, vise, or something that will hold the gun still on it's own. Put the cross hairs dead on center of the bulls eye. Fire a round. Make sure the gun is in the same exact position by making sure the cross hairs are back on the exact same spot. Then, without moving the gun, adjust the cross hairs so they are on the point the bullet impacted (or below if desired). Then shoot a group to make sure everything is good.[/rquote]

This system works great...but like MarauderYak said...."Make sure the gun is in the same exact position by making sure the cross hairs are back on the exact same spot." That is the only way it will work. Most deer hunters don't have the equipment to do this but it is the best way to do it and save on the amount of bullets and time used.[/rquote]
    This works really well with two people. One to look through the scope and give directions, and one to do the adjustments.

18. conradtactical

conradtactical New Member

Aug 31, 2010
    Jefferson County, MO
    [rquote=1877696&tid=130783&author=hun10][rquote=1877660&tid=130783&author=mohunter32]If you want the bullet to impact futher right, turn the turret in the direction marked right or R. If you want to move the impact of the bullet up, move the turret in the direction marked up or U.[/rquote]

Isn't that what I said? Im confused.:confused::confused::shrug:[/rquote]

No. I interpreted what you responded was the reverse of what your supposed to do.

If your shooing way left, click to the right. Same with up and down.

19. sand_manms

sand_manms New Member

Dec 13, 2005
    South Mississippi
    "Dumb question but i always kinda forget"

No question is dumb.