ducks vs deer

Discussion in 'Social Club' started by leasburg, Oct 26, 2010.

1. leasburg

leasburg New Member

Jul 27, 2007
    South County MO
    This is a serious post even from me. Although it would be fun to get into our normal loveable battles lets put that aside. I have been thinking. I love hunting everything, but the money and time i spend spreading it apart hunting deer and fowl is starting to bug me. I almost feel latley like i should choose one or the other. I just have so much hunting stuff everywhere and it seems like i should focus my time on one or the other. Just whats on my mind. I couldnt choose if i had to cause i love it all. I want to shoot a big buck, but i love sitting in the duck blind with buddies killin ducks and man do i love goose hunting:pop: I am a mess

2. Jeremy

Jeremy REGULAR MEMBER

Dec 22, 2006
    ever consider predator hunting?:D

3. inkwithattitude

inkwithattitude New Member

Nov 23, 2009
    Caro,MI
    ever since the Reb left ive been torn between them too! but add yote, trapping, coons, fox, and pheasant!!! Man am i a mess!:toilet:

4. leasburg

leasburg New Member

Jul 27, 2007
    South County MO
    guys i have buddies trying to get me into bow fishing...............no freakin way can I add another thing. I am out of town hunting constantly and and if i am in town all i do is hunt non stop on weekends i have no clue why the wife hasnt left yet. I am obsessed

5. inkwithattitude

inkwithattitude New Member

Nov 23, 2009
    Caro,MI
    ah yeah once you shoot the first fish ur hooked, like the fish you just stabbed

6. archer66

archer66 5 shots 1 kill

Jun 21, 2008
    Leas....you can continue to hunt both and you can do it without breaking the bank. I'm willing to bet you've already purchased all the gear you need for both so as long as you refrain from upgrading to the newest and greatest bow or shotgun or decoy every year or two your main expense should be fuel. Ducks and deer were killed to near extinction in certain parts of the country WAY before the days of high dollar gear and they can still be killed that way today.

Just my .02.

7. dookie

dookie New Member

Nov 27, 2004
    imperial,mo
    Well Leas, I don't think anyone can really tell you whether should pick one or the other. Maybe try to focus on making a schedule to balance your duck and deer hunting and your family life. I understand that you are ate up with hunting, and that's not a bad thing, but sometimes choosing some family time over hunting time, is the right choice to make. Not preachin', just something to think about. It will be a little different when you can take your little man along.:02::cheers::cheers:

8. Rebel2

Rebel2 New Member

Dec 16, 2003
    Ozark, MO
    A few years ago I felt your pain... You know which way I wen
    plum duckin crazy

9. I'm the same way burg, and here is what I do. First, I split the season. I start bowhunting on september 15 and bow hunt till rifle season. I lower my standards, and fill my tags so I'm done before duck season. Then, when duck comes in I duck hunt. Not every day I'm off, but I usually hunt one of my two days off, and hang with the family the other day. You just gotta realize there's more than just hunting. Hunt closer to home, even if the hunting is not the best in the state. I'm with ya though bud, and have come to the point of just almost giving it all up several times cause all I did was work and hunt, and neglected my family time. The older you get, the easier it is. The thing I had to realize, was my family takes priority. It will all work out for ya bud. Just try and concentrate on hunting the days whemn weather is perfect, the rut is rocking , or the weather ought to make a big push of new birds. And I don't know if this helps, but I'm right on the verge of following in rebs shoes. Soon as the daughter gets big enough to deer hunt on her own and keep the freezer full, I don't see much deer hunting in my future. Hope my ramblings in some way help.

10. huntforfunnfood

huntforfunnfood New Member

Jun 30, 2003
    new bloomfield mo
    you aint been bowfishin with sticky business or you would find a way:D

11. Cburrows_tx

Cburrows_tx New Member

Nov 24, 2004
    Lamar Co. Texas
    Leas, I too think you can do both. Chad said it best "family takes priority" Give them a few extra days here and there and I can assure you, it will be worth it! The family will be glad to see you go huntin a few days here and there if you spend too much time at home! lol

As archer said, you already have everything you need to go both!

If it kills you staying home and lookin out side knowing there are animals out there to be killed........ Take the family and go do womething that you will all enjoy for the day.

12. WashmoBilly

WashmoBilly Member

Mar 1, 2010
    Columbia MO
    What you need to do is shoot your big buck on opening morning and then a limit of greenheads in the afternoon... Could be the ultimate day for me :D

13. winger

winger New Member

Oct 24, 2003
    you know leas, it doesn't take much to kill either. true it's a little harder to go out and kill a limit of ducks or migrators than any old deer, (not the big suckers, the stupid ones) head that off at the pass! but it can be done relatively cheap. i havn't had to buy anything for years. i have purchased stuff but not stuff i needed to kill either thing, just stuff i wanted. most the fancy fandangled stuff is more to catch the hunter instead of the hunted anyway. heck, half a dozen decoys, waders and a shotgun you can be in business for ducks or geese. gun and 2 trees for any old deer. (not the big ones, the stupid ones) head that off at the pass! or you can continue spending a ton of money and build you a new shop to keep all your stuff. trying to talk the wife into that one now.:D

14. leasburg

leasburg New Member

Jul 27, 2007
    South County MO
    i hear ya but my standards have raised on deer, i am passing smaller bucks in hope of a biggun. I will wack a doe or two for meat dont get me wrong. And I am one selfish guy when it comes to family time If it it sat or sun I am hunting plain and simple. I do have everything I need to kill both infact it seems way to much.

15. seth_turner_04

seth_turner_04 Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2005
    Owensville, MO
    I'm like that with hunting and fishing. Get's expensive!

16. callaojoe

callaojoe Máistir an pointe hocht.

Jan 21, 2004
    N/C Missouri
    Don't worry about what it costs. You can't take it with you.:shrug:

I always figured, the only thing in life, that you even have a remote chance of taking with you when you die, is your memories...... So, while you are here, get as many good ones as you can.....:D

17. tjmstng68

tjmstng68 New Member

Oct 18, 2006
    Pacific
    Split your season. Deer takes priority till thanksgiving, then shift to ducks/geese. Quit duck/goose hunting by yourself. Leave the loner hunts for deer. Be pickier about when and where you go. You have probably everythign you need plus some....you have more than me. And I am not buying anything this year....if i can help it.
    Dont feel like you have to go out everyday you can, just go out the days you feel are most worth it.
    I am with ya, shared passions take up time. My goal this year is to do what I am advising. we will see how it works.

remember, by staying close to home, you can do shorter hunts and be home by 10am. hunt 2 days and be home by 10 leaves plenty of family time. My house is late to rise, so morning hunts mean I get up and hunt during most of there sleeping time. If I am home at 10 I only miss out on 2-3 hours of the family being awake.:cheers:

18. 20 feet high

20 feet high CROSSBOW HATER!

Feb 19, 2009
    quite crying, I will make it easy on you, gimme my boat, dekes and treestand back.....so that leaved you with squirrels.:D

19. Son_of_Cold_Duck

Son_of_Cold_Duck 1:8655 idiots right Red?

Dec 16, 2008
    i\'m skeeered
    [rquote=1865195&tid=129838&author=tjmstng68]My house is late to rise, so morning hunts mean I get up and hunt during most of there sleeping time. If I am home at 10 I only miss out on 2-3 hours of the family being awake.:cheers:[/rquote]

dang, chances are i'd wake up one of my three if i rolled in at 10a

20. winger

winger New Member

Oct 24, 2003
    but you'll miss the afternoon flights:D