Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What would you experienced duckers suggest to someone who wants to buy a duck call and they:

Get to duck hunt 5-6 times per year in Missouri
Have about $40 to spend on the call
Want a call that they can take out and use successfully without spending a ton of hours learning to use it. They are willing to work at it, but as they are fairly new to the sport they want something that is not going to require a huge time effort in order for them to be able to use the call successfully.

What call would you reccomend that they buy?

G

·
Are you an experienced caller? If your a beginner i would suggest getting an echo diamond wood double reed call.... Really if your new to calling i would suggest double reeds

·
Registered
9,727 Posts
Yeah ole wack can make that echo sure sound good. If you are new I recomend a wooden sure shot double reed. Cheap and it sounds good. Best advice is to practice no matter how much time you have. The ducks will tell ya if you sound good. Get the basic quack down first.

G

·
[rquote=1504641&tid=104966&author=ducks1]Yeah ole wack can make that echo sure sound good. If you are new I recomend a wooden sure shot double reed. Cheap and it sounds good. Best advice is to practice no matter how much time you have. The ducks will tell ya if you sound good. Get the basic quack down first. [/rquote]
Amen to that, nearly every call you make is centered off that simple quack:)

·
2,842 Posts
Haydel's call are cheap(priced) and work great, they are easy to blow and sound great The Timber wrench is another easy to blow call, can't remember the price its been a few yrs, I wanna say around 20 bucks.

G

·
[rquote=1504695&tid=104966&author=rangerdvr]Haydel's call are cheap(priced) and work great, they are easy to blow and sound great The Timber wrench is another easy to blow call, can't remember the price its been a few yrs, I wanna say around 20 bucks. [/rquote]
Yeah Primos Timber Wench. Another great cheap beginner call..

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
My first call was a Buck Gardner cheapo (single reed) and it is my favorite call over any of the others I now have on my lanyard

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
[rquote=1504731&tid=104966&author=Rebel]all calls will stick, even the buck gardner spit tech

anyone who says they dont stick dont use em

:cheers:[/rquote]

ya the fowlmouth they say you can drop in water pick it u and blow it.......wrong....not only that the call sounds like crap.

I like the quackwhacker by skip doty, sound pretty good but to each their own.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Good topic to post. I was gonna do the same post. I went duckin for the first time today. It was a blast!!! Killed a hen and a drake mallard. Missed a whole bunch. 4 of us killed 14 total.:cheers:

G

·
[rquote=1504871&tid=104966&author=SEMObuckin]Good topic to post. I was gonna do the same post. I went duckin for the first time today. It was a blast!!! Killed a hen and a drake mallard. Missed a whole bunch. 4 of us killed 14 total.:cheers:[/rquote]
And a ducker is born! :cheers::banana-man-yeah::woot:

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
I think so. The only thing that could of been better was to not have a hole in the crotch of my waders and the wind not blow 60mph. But we were still covered up in ducks all morning.:cheers:

·
Registered
982 Posts
I have been a fan of the Strait Suzy by Foiles around 35 bucks and sounds great but does occasionally stick however. My go to call is a wood call my dad made some years back.

·
2,842 Posts
Actually a drake whistle is probably the best call for a beginer to get. I know my guiding buddies in AR will only blow one of those half the season. Most duck calls are for the hunters. Kimda like the $5,000 worth of soft plastics in my Ranger, but I always grab the same color 99% of the time.

Anyways I originally posted Haydels or a Timber wrench, but I am changing to a drake whistle. I think a guy cannot go wrong with one

1 - 20 of 24 Posts