Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3,647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This topic could also be titled; "If they won't come to you, go to them." or "DSG drowns in thunderstorm." or "DSG glows from lightning exposure."

Yep.....long story short. Birds gobbled a bit this morning but had one gobblin that had a particular dislike to lightning bolts. Every time it would thunder......he'd gobble. It was his demise because he dang sure wasn't coming to no call.

He was set up on the edge of an opening and I belly crawled in the mud and wet grass to within 40 yds. For 45 min he stood on that EXACT spot, did not move and gobbled. I mean he did not move an inch. And I really couldn't belly crawl any further wiffout him bustin me out.

Finally it stopped raining and began an all out down pour. I expected that the additional noise in the woods to our right would cause him to move away from the timber. After about five min of that, he moved to my left out into the open.

Kilt him dead @ 30 yards. (And I AIMED at his head by the way. Some of you will get that. ;) )

~DSG particularly enjoys taking gobblers that will not come to the call out of the gene pool so they can't reproduce. :D

(Haven't weighed or measured him yet. He does have ONE spur that's about 1.5" though it appeared. The other one is broke off. :whinging: )

·
Registered
2,673 Posts
Way to go Kurt...

....hey....I thought you were going to take me turkey hunting this year...and walleye fishing....????

I swear....you get a lil' fame and forget your friends... :D

·
Registered
3,647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks all! :cheers:

and caf4.......I ain't forgot my friends! They are just always going to one end of the state when I am going to the other!

DSG don't like to stay in one place long either. A moving target is harder to hit! :sniper:

·
Registered
3,647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Originally posted by Bowpredator
Nice job! You should have taken some pics of yourself with the bird before cleaning up to show what it took to get that bird!
I've gots two pics that I took myself of me and the bird. I set the camera on a box in the back of my truck under the "shell" so it wouldn't get wet and set the timer and ran around in front of it. Yes, turkey and I look like drowned rats.

I will post them when the puter gets fixed.

Chairman. I think the lightning drove the ticks in. Din't get a one today. :)

·
Under appreciated
92,601 Posts
Originally posted by DShootnstGentemn
Yes, turkey and I look like drowned rats.
hey.. watch yer choice of words there! :D:D

Way to stick with it DSG:cheers: Thats the first success in an all-out toad strangler I have heard.. although I may have missed a couple..

congrats!

·
Under appreciated
92,601 Posts
Originally posted by r2ahunter
Good job, my turn in the a.m. never seen a drowned rat just a drunk one:hysterical:
I have a few pictures of float trips way back when of a drowned AND drunkenly rat :bangin:

Good luck to you in the morn my friend.. I'll expect a phone call in the morning with a honyock on the other end hootin and hollerin.. with my luck, prolly during a meeting with my boss er something!:banana:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.