DSG-color

Discussion in 'Fishing General' started by Hannibal, Mar 31, 2006.

1. Hannibal

Hannibal Senior Member

Dec 30, 2004
    Greene county
    DSG-- if you were inclined to try and get a mess of crappie what color jig would ya start with, in not real clear water?? would ya tip the jig with a minna or do ya use those crappie nibbles??

2. membergone

membergone New Member

Jan 17, 2004
    Hannibal.

My favorite jig color BAR NONE in dingy water is a Southern Pro 2" tube that is tipped on the head with black, body is green, tail is chartreuse. I think I've seen enough over the years to be convinced that day in and day out that is a superior color combination in dingy water. Not saying it's never been out fished but it is staggering how good it is.

Personally, I don't use minnows. You may get a few more bites with them but they seem to attract little heads.

Crappie nibbles are great. They are super for verticle fishing but they wear off pretty fast when you are casting so I normally don't mess with them then.

That's just DSG. I imagine you'll get some differing opinions. :cheers:

3. membergone

membergone New Member

Jan 17, 2004
    Oh......and I use a tube head that is inserted inside the jig body. (usually 1/16 unless it is REALLY windy.) It looks a lot nicer AND it hangs up a LOT less than a jig head on the outside of the tube body. :cheers:

4. Hannibal

Hannibal Senior Member

Dec 30, 2004
    Greene county
    DSG is a good man.......i dont care what everyone else says about him..... tell DSG thanks for me and i'll try his color.

5. JHawkWX

JHawkWX New Member

May 19, 2003
    KCMO
    judging by his avatar photo, i'd say he's a reliable source of info....;)

6. Vector

Vector VECtor Custom Calls

Feb 11, 2003
    N/C MO
    I was gettin' into them the other day when it was sunny on yellow and white. When its cloudy, my first choice is black and charteuse.

Parker

7. Hayzer

Hayzer New Member

Yea, nice photo DSG ~ must of been a heck of a fella that took that one.

8. membergone

membergone New Member

Jan 17, 2004
    JHawkwx- Even a blind sow finds an acorn ever now and then! ;)

Hannibal-I told him, he said thanks! ;)

Parker-MY jig color got it's butt waxed one day by Grover and the yellow and white. It happens, but not often. Let's just put it this away, Grover uses my jig color most of the time too if that tells ya anything. :D A straight chartreuse is my second favorite by the way and the black chart that you mention is in third place. :cheers:

Hayzer-Humility is a virtue, but you wouldn't know anything about that would you? :D

9. Vector

Vector VECtor Custom Calls

Feb 11, 2003
    N/C MO
    Yeppers, DSG, it all depends on the day. Its the cloud cover, mood of the fish, temperature, etc........ That's why the pro crappie fisherman has to have the FULL ASSORTMENT OF JIGS! :D Cause you never REALLY know what the EXACT color is going to be! :D

Parker