Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what would be a good draw weight to use on an elk hunt with rage two blade b-heads. i am currently shooting 60 lbs and works fine on deer but will i need more for an elk?

·
Registered
38,393 Posts
60# will be more than enuff on elk. As with anything , shot placement is key. Use a brand new, scary sharp broadhead, and put it where it belongs, you'll be fine. :cheers::wave:

I know of people using less than 50# with Trad bows that kill big critters on a regular basis, you'll be fine, good luck!!!

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
im gonna try again this year last year i went and had some elk in close but couldn't get a shot. im still trying to get my first with the bow.

·
Registered
38,393 Posts
Has to be a blast, just having them close....Killin one will be a bonus!!!:cheers:

Personally, I'd git rid of those Mechanical contraption type broadheads, and shoot a fixed blade that cuts to the tip, but that's just me.:cheers::wave:

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
when i went out last year i used nap thunder heads but my cousin killed a 5x6 with the rage and it made it about 40 yards and was done so i switched to the rage's this year and they do a number on deer.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
I would honestly shoot fixed blades on elk, not really knowing how it will penetrate, and I've heard rages bend pretty easy, but if your used to mechanical and have your bow tuned that way go ahead! 60# will be plenty. I know a kid that blew through a doe with a 30# draw.

G

·
A whitetail and a elk arent really the same thing but i get what your saying it doesnt take as much as people think

·
Registered
5,389 Posts
I am gonna be different and say you better hit the weight room and crank that son of a gun down to 100#'s :scared:
oh, and drop the bow & run real fast as soon as you release :rof2::rof2:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.