draw lenght affecting draw weight?

Discussion in 'Archery Hunting' started by chuck88, Mar 19, 2006.

1. chuck88

chuck88 Active Member

Jun 29, 2005
    Fulton MO
    bought my wife a used bow that the draw lenght is a little to long for her (barely) but the draw weight is a little to heavy (she can get it right to the breaking point) but anyway I thought that if I got a shorter string it would lessen the draw weight and make the draw shorter, well at cabelas getting all the other stuff we needed to get started the bow guy said a shorter string would make it harder to pull, is that correct?:confused:

2. MoBowman

MoBowman New Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Yes, by shorting the string you will inturn increase the draw weight of the bow. I am assuming that the limb bolts have been backed out about as far as they will go? Send alittle info about the bow, most have a certain amount of adjustments as far as the draw length goes, but you usually have to have a press to change it.

MoBowman ```---------->

3. chuck88

chuck88 Active Member

Jun 29, 2005
    Fulton MO
    its a pse polaris 45-60 pound draw, 28-30 inch draw. it was on the longest draw setting but we had it dropped to the shortest setting and she could pull it further back. the llimb bolts have been turned out some but I'm afraid to turn them out more if I turn them out more can I completly unscrew them or will they have a stop on them?

4. membergone

membergone New Member

Jan 17, 2004
    Just a little piece of DSG insight, for what it's worth. Unless your wiff is 6' tall and has the "guns" and back muscles of a man, I'd say you got the wrong bow for her, period. Sorry to be so blunt.

5. MoBowman

MoBowman New Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Chuck, If her draw length is still to long, check with PSE about getting a new cam to shorten the draw length. You may at least get the correct part # and check e-bay, cheaper than buying a new bow.

Now, on the draw weight, tighten the limbs bolts all the way down and then back each bolt out 4 full turns, PSE doesn't recommend any farther. Check the distance from both limb pockets to the string. These should be the same distance. From that point, she may just have to do abit of working out to pull the bow back. But the bow should be right at 45lbs. Good Luck

MoBowman ```---------->

6. mohunter32

mohunter32 Senior Member Lifetime Supporting Member

Jan 15, 2005
    Franklin Co, MO
    I'm with these guys. Especially about tightening the limb bolts then backing them out. Checking the distance from the back of the limb right where it enters the limb pocket to the string is called the till or measuring the till. Let's say the top one measures 1/8 of an inch longer than the bottom. Then you need to tighten the top bolt just a bit. Then remeasure. Also, the draw weights are determined at the longest draw length. So if you have shortened the draw length, you may get a 40 pound draw weight for your wife. Also, to bow won't get to 60 pounds like it says it should at the shorter draw length.

7. chuck88

chuck88 Active Member

Jun 29, 2005
    Fulton MO
    I tightned em up and backed em out even. and then after my wife read dsg's post she said I had 3 kids I can pull that bow!!!! and she got it!!!! she can pull it a few times before it gets to tough for her so if the weather warms up a bit we will start shooting a couple arrows a night until she works up more.

8. JMAC

JMAC Senior Member

Aug 31, 2005
    Cole County
    If DSG's good for anything it's inspiration. You might be inspired to do something you SHOULDN'T do...but it's inspiration nonetheless! Tell your wife I said WAY TO GO.

9. FiremanBrad

FiremanBrad New Member

Jmac...ya cracked me up there...lol.

10. membergone

membergone New Member

Jan 17, 2004
    Awesome! Glad to be of service! :cheers: Saved you from having to buy her a bow that fits her!

I see her taking up fishing or some other activity soon! :)

11. JMAC

JMAC Senior Member

Aug 31, 2005
    Cole County
    You better put that stirring stick away, DSG. The pudding has been thoroughly stirred. :whip::hysterical:

12. membergone

membergone New Member

Jan 17, 2004
    I ain't stirring anything.....just telling the trufe! :)

There's a difference.

13. membergone

membergone New Member

Jan 17, 2004
    chuck 88: Hey MoBowman, I just bought my wiff a new bow, it fits her great but it's too long in the draw and heavy on pounds. Other than THAT it is PERFECT!

MoBowman: Well, if you change the cams and limbs and cables and strings you can probably have a great bow for her.

chuck 88:That's OK, she saw where DSG said she wasn't man enough to pull it so she is torqued now and bound and determined to pull it.

MoBowman: Oh that DSG, he was just funnin around. It'll be fine really. As long as she can shoot at least one arrow a day through it she will eventually get used to it.

chuck 88: Oh MoBowman......what are you talking about. I bought this thing for $50 bones and thought it would be worth that, knowing that she can never shoot it, she'll get sick of it after a bit and get outta my hair about shooting.

MoBowman: Oh I get it, I thought your question was serious.

chuck 88: Best $50 bones I'll ever spend, soon I'll be able to shoot with just the guys and she won't bug me any more. What's a good brand of fishin pole to buy her, you gots any idea?

MoBowman: No way. DSG knows fishin poles though. Ax him.

chuck 88: NO FLIPPIN WAY that DSG almost messed this deal up already by torquing her off so bad that she actually thought she could shoot this thing. That was close, I don't need no more help from DSG, with friends like that, who needs enemies?

MoBowman: Yeah, you gots a point there too. I know where he is gonna be next Sat morning at 8am, you wanna come too so you can punch him in the nose.

chuck 88: I would but my wiff won't let me. Have you SEEN the size of her arms?

MoBowman: OK then, maybe I'll just have the cook at the restaurant put exlax in his biscuits and gravy.

chuck 88: that'll do it, everyone knows he's full of sh!t anyway...that'll serve him right.

MoBowman: Sure, we got it covered then. But back to your wiff, make sure she tried to pull that thing back at least two or three times a day, that'll speed the process of driving her to fishing up!

chuck 88: thanks much man! that's what MWT is all about, great advice from my Brutha's

MoBowman; you are welcome. Take Care!

chuck 88; no problem man. You take care too!

:D

14. rat

rat Legbone

Dec 13, 2005
    :rotfl::rotfl:

15. MoBowman

MoBowman New Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    So you were easdropping huh? Didn't know they still had party lines:hysterical::hysterical::hysterical:

MoBowman ```--------->

16. membergone

membergone New Member

Jan 17, 2004
    Trust me on this.........DSG won't be eatin nothin at Hayzers that he din't cook himself. :D

17. chuck88

chuck88 Active Member

Jun 29, 2005
    Fulton MO
    well the reason I picked up that bow was we was at cabelas and she could pull 45 lbs with a 27 inch draw easy. I figured a 28 inch wasnt that different. If she anchors all the way now I think its not to long cause her eye is about a inch away from the peep.
    as far as shooting with or without her I'd rather have her shooting also so I dont have to come home early, or hear about being gone all day, and I'd rather spend time with her outside than shopping. besides the fact that unless I go to a bow shoot I'm normaly shooting in the back yard anyway.
    btw..she likes fishing more than I do and is always asking me to go more than I ask her.

18. chuck88

chuck88 Active Member

Jun 29, 2005
    Fulton MO
    :)
    you need to tighten the top bolt just a bit. Then remeasure. Also, the draw weights are determined at the longest draw length. So if you have shortened the draw length, you may get a 40 pound draw weight for your wife. Also, to bow won't get to 60 pounds like it says it should at the shorter draw length.

so under this theory wouldnt a shorter string decrease draw weight also? that is what I thought when I bought the bow:confused: