Dove season

Discussion in 'Game Birds' started by Clucker, Aug 31, 2017.

1. andele

andele Active Member

Oct 27, 2012
    St. Louis Metro
    Out this morning with my younger brother to celebrate his 18th birthday. Brought along my 2 ankle biters for good company. Hoping for a good shoot this morning.
    dw84 likes this.
  2. dw84

dw84 Junior Member

Oct 18, 2013
    Lincoln co.
    I haven't had a chance yet but hoping to Sunday. I can hear my oldest boy and a couple friends of his shooting back their though. I just mowed the millet and couple strips in the sunflowers yesterday over lunch. I haven't seen many doves in our plots yet.

3. EZRA

EZRA Well-Known Member

Jul 8, 2016
    All I have in my spots this year are beans
  4. bowtech1

bowtech1 Member

Sep 26, 2013
    Did anyone hunt pacific palisades ?
  5. Skduckhunt

Skduckhunt Senior Member

Dec 29, 2002
    St. Charles, Mo
  6. I got a double under the bird feeder,dog loved it.
    Skduckhunt likes this.
  7. JimH

JimH Active Member

Nov 6, 2003
    St. Louis
    Well I and two of my boys did the dove opener for the very first time on fri. We hit Diana Bend and neither any of us had ever done the dove thing before. We had a great time (although humbling at times) and look forward to doing this more. I have to admit though, it reminded me a little bit of opening day of troutfishing only with shotguns.
    Skduckhunt likes this.
  8. GTOHunter

GTOHunter Well-Known Member

I picked up my Dove Stamp/Tag...bought a Re-Print of my Small Game Hunting License that I can't all my Fall Farm Tags for Bow and Rifle Turkey/Deer Hunting and 2 boxes of 20 Gauge shells to Dove Hunt with,talk about a paper trail...Mercy!o_O:eek:
  9. Maddog3355

Maddog3355 Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2014
    Maries County
    Probably give you a ticket for drinking Busch!!!!!!
    Dmbecke and Mailman like this.
  10. Stonewall1

Stonewall1 Member

Nov 1, 2015
    I haven't hunted pacific palisades this year but have in the past. It's usually full of local birds and shot up in the first day or two.
  11. flocked

flocked Member

Mar 28, 2009
    you mean shooting at lol
    sandals likes this.
  12. Mailman

Mailman Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2005
    Blue Springs Mo
    Looking out my 5th floor hotel window here in Phoenix a lone dove flew up and landed on top of the flag pole. Only if I'd of brought my shotgun?

I think he is teasing me knowing I'm unarmed. 20170903_081919-1.jpg

Looking closer at the has a black half collar on its neck and looks a bit bigger than our Mourning Doves in Missouri?
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2017
  13. MOGC

MOGC Well-Known Member

Apr 13, 2008
    SE Ozark's
    The one to look out for when you're far from home and staying alone is the soiled dove. ;)
  14. JimH

JimH Active Member

Nov 6, 2003
    St. Louis
    I hunted with my new 20 ga for the first time on fri and was pleased last week when I was able to buy 20 ga shells on close out for 3.00 a box. I'm going back on tue for more since it is right down from work. They were the brand Suprema, and shot very well for me.
    Skduckhunt likes this.
  15. flatlander_

flatlander_ Really? Show me. .

Sounds like a European Collared dove. Pretty sure it doesn't have the legal paperwork to be here so I'd say it's free game with whatever you can grab to knock it down with.;)
    Skduckhunt and Mailman like this.
  16. bowtech1

bowtech1 Member

Sep 26, 2013
    Where can u get for that?
  17. JimH

JimH Active Member

Nov 6, 2003
    St. Louis
  18. bowtech1

bowtech1 Member

Sep 26, 2013
  19. bowtech1

bowtech1 Member

Sep 26, 2013
    Is there any private dove fields with a daily fee that anyone knows of?
  20. Skduckhunt

Skduckhunt Senior Member

Dec 29, 2002
    St. Charles, Mo
    Bowtech, Buzzy Kline used to have fields and duck holes available for day or season see his signs along 370 tween Truman and Salt River road in the Duck wetlands between 370 and the Mississippi River...If I head that way I will get the phone number and post it...
    Dmbecke likes this.