DON'T THROW THEM BACK!!!

Discussion in 'Fishing General' started by Mark Twain, Mar 29, 2006.

1. Mark Twain

Mark Twain New Member

Jul 15, 2003
    St. Charles
    Here is an interesting story from today's paper. Sounds like a good idea.

Proposal to Fund an Asian Carp Processing Facility

A good friend who is a fisheries biologist for the Illinois DNR has another suggestion - KILL EM and KILL EM ALL!!! He considers Silver and Bighead carp to be the worst environmental scourge in decades. Fortunately, they apparently have very weak spines. You can knock their heads clean off by smacking them against the gunnel of a boat or hitting them with a stick.

I'm for that. :behead:

2. Cburrows_tx

Cburrows_tx New Member

Nov 24, 2004
    Lamar Co. Texas
    It is amazing what blunt force can do!!!

3. riverbottomhunter

riverbottomhunter Well-Known Member

Sep 27, 2005
    Chariton Co.
    Asian carp are also know to knock fisherman out of their boats at they travel down the rivers. I guess the motion of the boat makes the fish jump. I know several people that have had the carp jump into the air and hit them as they go past.

4. Woods

Woods Cooyon, Back from NOLA

Blunt force = arrow through its carcass! :eek:

5. Mark Twain

Mark Twain New Member

Jul 15, 2003
    St. Charles
    I've heard that the latest in Redneck Fun is to run your boat along wingdams and shoot em with shotguns when they fly out of the water!:banana:

6. sand_manms

sand_manms New Member

Dec 13, 2005
    South Mississippi
    Sounds like my kinda fishin!:banana::banana:

7. Woods

I heard somone got killed last year from a carp jumping up and hitting someone in the boat. No details...

8. riverbottomhunter

riverbottomhunter Well-Known Member

Sep 27, 2005
    Chariton Co.
    I havent heard of anyone getting killed yet, but I have heard of people getting knocked out.

9. Woods

My hunting buddy did a gar wars bow fishing tourney last July and said folks were talking about it. I assumed it happened in Missouri, but maybe another state.

10. FiremanBrad

FiremanBrad New Member

I've heard it refered to as "Carp Skeet"....hehehe.....Dont' believe I'd want to get caught though....not too sure how legal it is, no matter how bad a pest they are.

11. Mark Twain

Mark Twain New Member

Jul 15, 2003
    St. Charles
    Duck!

[​IMG]

One person quoted in the newspaper story says he thinks they aren't good eating, but the MO Conservationist and other mags have printed recipes that claim they taste good. Silver carp are supposedly used in Chinese fish head soup.

I think I'll stick to the hot/sour.

12. FiremanBrad

FiremanBrad New Member

I've eaten a few we got bowfishing.....have to score em like common carp...actually white flaky meat on em....not too bad, if you're out of crappie fillets!!!

13. Mailman

Mailman Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2005
    Blue Springs Mo
    When I was in Viet Nam all the South Vietnamese Army guys had fish heads and rice that they wrapped up in old newspaper for lunch. No Thanks!!!

14. JMAC

JMAC Senior Member

Aug 31, 2005
    Cole County
    I was watching a video at our local archery shop where these boys would putt around in the boat and shoot them with their bows behind the boat as they jumped. Pretty cool stuff. I know they're thick down around here in the Missouri and it's tributaries.

15. igor

igor Active Member

Mar 8, 2006
    I hate those #$*&% carp, had em break rods, land in the boat and bust open
    (green slimy crap everywhere), fly over the boat and stick in a dike(kinda liked that)
    never been hit though, knock on wood. we caught one on a rod and reel
    last year, that was a fight, never jumped though. if anybody want's to stick
    some, my reccomendation would be to go to lewis mill access in glascow
    when the water is low and clear (late to mid summer) that little river is full of them
    and you can see them with polarized glasses. kill em all!!!!!! i'll let you
    bowfishing guys know when we are seeing a lot of those *(&@#%^$(*&#) FISH.

16. FiremanBrad

FiremanBrad New Member

Igor, that sounds good to me.....I'm always lookin for a good bowfishin spot close to home!!! I'll save em all for ya and drop em off if'n ya wants....hehehe

17. cisco

cisco New Member

May 24, 2005
    Arnold, MO
    The wife and I were fishing the Alton pool of the Mississippi river last summer for white bass. We motored up to the lock and dam these fish were everywhere. Had we have been bowfishing we could have sunk the boat with them.

I would like to do some bowfishing for them this summer. However, what do you do with them afterwards???? Can you take them anywhere to some folks that would eat them? Can you just chuck them back into the river or is that against the law?

18. igor

igor Active Member

Mar 8, 2006
    KILL THEM ALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! buzzards have to eat to.:)

19. 67Firebird

67Firebird Chicken Man

Kill 'em and throw 'em back.
    Do it, for the turtles. :banana:

20. Vector

Vector VECtor Custom Calls

Feb 11, 2003
    N/C MO
    I've been hit by several while running lines in the muddy MO.

Parker