Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is an interesting story from today's paper. Sounds like a good idea.

Proposal to Fund an Asian Carp Processing Facility

A good friend who is a fisheries biologist for the Illinois DNR has another suggestion - KILL EM and KILL EM ALL!!! He considers Silver and Bighead carp to be the worst environmental scourge in decades. Fortunately, they apparently have very weak spines. You can knock their heads clean off by smacking them against the gunnel of a boat or hitting them with a stick.

I'm for that. :behead:

·
Registered
9,684 Posts
Asian carp are also know to knock fisherman out of their boats at they travel down the rivers. I guess the motion of the boat makes the fish jump. I know several people that have had the carp jump into the air and hit them as they go past.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Originally posted by Woods
Blunt force = arrow through its carcass! :eek:
I've heard that the latest in ******* Fun is to run your boat along wingdams and shoot em with shotguns when they fly out of the water!:banana:

·
Registered
11,987 Posts
Sounds like my kinda fishin!:banana::banana:

·
Cooyon, Back from NOLA
4,640 Posts
My hunting buddy did a gar wars bow fishing tourney last July and said folks were talking about it. I assumed it happened in Missouri, but maybe another state.

·
Registered
38,393 Posts
Originally posted by Mark Twain
Originally posted by Woods
Blunt force = arrow through its carcass! :eek:
I've heard that the latest in ******* Fun is to run your boat along wingdams and shoot em with shotguns when they fly out of the water!:banana:
I've heard it refered to as "Carp Skeet"....hehehe.....Dont' believe I'd want to get caught though....not too sure how legal it is, no matter how bad a pest they are.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Duck!

One person quoted in the newspaper story says he thinks they aren't good eating, but the MO Conservationist and other mags have printed recipes that claim they taste good. Silver carp are supposedly used in Chinese fish head soup.

I think I'll stick to the hot/sour.

·
Registered
38,393 Posts
I've eaten a few we got bowfishing.....have to score em like common carp...actually white flaky meat on em....not too bad, if you're out of crappie fillets!!!

·
5,632 Posts
I was watching a video at our local archery shop where these boys would putt around in the boat and shoot them with their bows behind the boat as they jumped. Pretty cool stuff. I know they're thick down around here in the Missouri and it's tributaries.

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
I hate those #$*&% carp, had em break rods, land in the boat and bust open
(green slimy crap everywhere), fly over the boat and stick in a dike(kinda liked that)
never been hit though, knock on wood. we caught one on a rod and reel
last year, that was a fight, never jumped though. if anybody want's to stick
some, my reccomendation would be to go to lewis mill access in glascow
when the water is low and clear (late to mid summer) that little river is full of them
and you can see them with polarized glasses. kill em all!!!!!! i'll let you
bowfishing guys know when we are seeing a lot of those *(&@#%^$(*&#) FISH.

·
Registered
38,393 Posts
Originally posted by igor
I hate those #$*&% carp, had em break rods, land in the boat and bust open
(green slimy crap everywhere), fly over the boat and stick in a dike(kinda liked that)
never been hit though, knock on wood. we caught one on a rod and reel
last year, that was a fight, never jumped though. if anybody want's to stick
some, my reccomendation would be to go to lewis mill access in glascow
when the water is low and clear (late to mid summer) that little river is full of them
and you can see them with polarized glasses. kill em all!!!!!! i'll let you
bowfishing guys know when we are seeing a lot of those *(&@#%^$(*&#) FISH.
Igor, that sounds good to me.....I'm always lookin for a good bowfishin spot close to home!!! I'll save em all for ya and drop em off if'n ya wants....hehehe

·
Registered
270 Posts
The wife and I were fishing the Alton pool of the Mississippi river last summer for white bass. We motored up to the lock and dam these fish were everywhere. Had we have been bowfishing we could have sunk the boat with them.

I would like to do some bowfishing for them this summer. However, what do you do with them afterwards???? Can you take them anywhere to some folks that would eat them? Can you just chuck them back into the river or is that against the law?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.