Dog problem

Discussion in '2011 Whitetail General' started by ad870, Nov 1, 2010.

1. ad870

ad870 New Member

Oct 11, 2006
    NE Arkansas
    Here is my dilema. I just got permission to hunt a new piece of property. Landowner showed me around the place Sunday afternoon. He has cattle on the place but has some timber where this won't be an issue. Bow hunting only.

He has two dogs that have the run of the place. They followed us around everywhere on Sunday. They won't be in a pen while I am out there and they will probably try to follow me into the woods.

I'm going to do a trial run when I go scout the place and see if they follow me. Any ideas on how to humanely deal with this issue?

2. coyotehunter

coyotehunter PURE KILLER

Jan 19, 2005
    mexico,mo.
    don't be friendly to them,they can sense that:D

3. yankee

yankee Senior Member

me personally, id find a way to NOT park my vehicle near his home, therefore your not alerting the dogs, im not sure if you have access to his property on another route or not, but id be checking into it

4. archer66

archer66 5 shots 1 kill

Jun 21, 2008
    You could try giving them a nice big ole meaty bone to chew on and maybe then they won't follow you. Another option is don't park where the dogs will see you???

I used to hunt a place in Illinois where the farm dog was really friendly and would try to follow me to the stand. The family that lives on the place had a chain for the dog but never used it. I talked to them about it and they said it was ok to chain him up if it was a problem. If he was still chained at the end of my hunt I'd let him go before leaving.

5. ad870

ad870 New Member

Oct 11, 2006
    NE Arkansas
    There is one other road that is close to it so I'll have to check that out.

6. Mailman

Mailman Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2005
    Blue Springs Mo
    Years ago my father in law had a dog that followed you everywhere you went. When I stepped out the back door of the house I took the dog to the work shed and locked him inside. Problem solved...right?

When the father in law went out to do the morning chores a few hours later he lets out the dog and the dog puts his nose to the ground and tracks me straight to my deer stand in the woods. After that I asked for the dog to be left in the shed and I would let him out after I got back from hunting.

I'd ask the owner if he could or would let you confine the dog in some way when you are in the woods. If he doesn't like the idea...park down the road a piece and hike in to your hunting spot where the dog can't see you (even in the darkness of night).

7. 20 feet high

20 feet high CROSSBOW HATER!

Feb 19, 2009
    I ahve a farm with theses type of dogs as well, awesome dogs, and even more awesome they listen and believe the stern voice might be acted upon.

8. rat

rat Legbone

Dec 13, 2005
    [rquote=1874020&tid=130533&author=coyotehunter]don't be friendly to them,they can sense that:D[/rquote]
    But yote... youve tried this with Cummins but he still keeps following you around.

9. coyotehunter

coyotehunter PURE KILLER

Jan 19, 2005
    mexico,mo.
    [rquote=1874102&tid=130533&author=rat][rquote=1874020&tid=130533&author=coyotehunter]don't be friendly to them,they can sense that:D[/rquote]
    But yote... youve tried this with Cummins but he still keeps following you around. [/rquote]heck i gonna try throwing rocks at him next time:hysterical:

10. BUSCHaholic

BUSCHaholic Guest

ya dont be nice like call them mean names :cheers:

11. BuschCamocan4life

BuschCamocan4life New Member

Oct 12, 2010
    id throw them a slab of meat with some sleeping pills in it. Works for me everytime:cheers:

12. venatic

venatic ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

[rquote=1874071&tid=130533&author=Mailman]Years ago my father in law had a dog that followed you everywhere you went. When I stepped out the back door of the house I took the dog to the work shed and locked him inside. Problem solved...right?

When the father in law went out to do the morning chores a few hours later he lets out the dog and the dog puts his nose to the ground and tracks me straight to my deer stand in the woods. After that I asked for the dog to be left in the shed and I would let him out after I got back from hunting.

I'd ask the owner if he could or would let you confine the dog in some way when you are in the woods. If he doesn't like the idea...park down the road a piece and hike in to your hunting spot where the dog can't see you (even in the darkness of night).[/rquote]
    The farm we hunt, the owner ties his dog up when we are out hunting because she will follow us out there.

Just ask him. Let him know when you are hunting out there and when you leave so he can let them go. I'm sure he wouldn't mind.

13. Teton

Teton New Member

Aug 6, 2010
    buchanan co
    Tie a cat in the back of the truck.:D have had the same problem before, they would follow me every time no matter what i would try. Never seemed to mess with the deer activity though

14. Cook

Cook Well-Known Member

May 28, 2003
    Tie a good bone to a tree by the house..can't hurt to try.(or a cat :) )

15. ad870

ad870 New Member

Oct 11, 2006
    NE Arkansas
    I'm hoping that even if they follow me they will leave when I get up in the tree.

16. rat

rat Legbone

Dec 13, 2005
    [rquote=1874257&tid=130533&author=ad870]I'm hoping that even if they follow me they will leave when I get up in the tree.[/rquote]
    I'm bettin they would do just that. Maybe get there earlier than you want to allow for that very thing to happen.

17. MidwestWhitetails

MidwestWhitetails New Member

Dec 10, 2009
    The landowner pens his dogs up when I hunt at my spot. Its my brother inlaw though. You might mention to him that they are following you and maybe he will chain them up until you get into your stand., The key is not to let them see you get in your stand. Once they do, they will come check it out everytime.

18. Cherokee

Cherokee New Member

Feb 5, 2005
    Spray bottle with some bleach, spray it behind you and they will leave you Alone!! Also good on trash cans the neighbors dog keeps turning over.:D

19. glennasher1

glennasher1 Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2004
    Radcliff, KY
    My nephew's got a couple of Goldens that will follow you everywhere, unless you tell them to stay home. They have the run of the place, so deer know they are around, and it hasn't seemed to mess anything up, since the dogs will NOT chase them, or even bark at 'em. Sorta like big yellow squirrels, only quieter:D. They LOVE me, or anyone else halfway friendly, but if I tell them to stay (or go) to the house, they mind well enough.
    Nephew bought Dad's old farm, and I still have run of the place, if I want to hunt there.
    You might try just telling the dog to stay, before anything else, and see if he minds.

20. That sucks it is like when I walk to my stand and cows run right to my stand