Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have my first lab, a nine week old yellow male. I ahve the opportunity (and for some reason my wife like the idea) to purchase a brother or sister. What are your opinions of two your lab pups at the same time. If I am wanting a hunting dog/dogs is this possible with two at the same young age? Would another male be better or sister?

Just curious?

Thanks,
MJO

·
Registered
7,278 Posts
if you get a female you'll have to worry bout them breeding. and you can't cross brother and sister.

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
possible yes. A good idea...not so sure. If you are training it yourself and this is your first one then I think working with one would be better. Every headache that you can imagine with one dog multiply times two. All the time that you have to spend training one dog multiply that times two.

I have one dog and she is hard enough to handle. You can always get another one in a couple of years if you still want another. At that point you will have your first one trained or you will know that you aren't cut out for training labs. I'd wait and see how the first one goes.

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
I wouldnt want to pups at the same time. Especially if training yourself. So much attention has to be on the dog to create a bond. If you have 2 pups they will create a bond with each other and you will be left out. Also how many ducks a year do you kill?? Probably less than 50. If you have 2 dogs that is only 25 retrieves each a season!! You really dont need 2 dogs. The first season of a hunting dog is the most important. They need to retrieve as many birds as possible. I wouldnt want to have to split time with 2 new pups.

My .02 have 1 good dog and not 2 ok dogs.
Train the one you have now and make it a good dog.

·
Registered
19,796 Posts
[rquote=1540142&tid=107295&author=Montauklunkerhunter]Make one a pet, and one a hunting dog... Keep the one seperated from the other while training
[/rquote]

:cool3: i have a good image of that happening :whiteflag:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.