Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll be moving soon to MO and I just read the "hunting off-season" post on what to do when there is no hunting season open. I like sneaking around on groundhogs with a bow and wondered if MO has them? And if so, is it legal to bowhunt them? Thanks................................:cheers:

·
Registered
6,027 Posts
yes and sure you can but there not millions of them but i got 5-6 last year. mainly cause they dig in the feilds alot and there good practice with the 22-250 they really like fresh clover right after a hay cutting

good luck getting close enough with a bow

·
Registered
6,027 Posts
not sure about the legel side of it but were your at you need to be killing armadillos now getting to be way to many of them egg sucking things in south mo

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've killed a few in West Va. They liked to burrow in holes either in the wide open fields or along the edge of woods. I've also had to redo a few bales of hay because the trailer shifted on a side of a hill when we ran over their holes! It also makes a good starting conversation topic with a farmer in the summer (if you know what I mean);)

·
Former Chicken Man
20,352 Posts
Plenty of them in Missouri, and the season is open most of the year. It closes for a couple months due to turkey season, but other than that you're good to go. It'll be quite a challenge with a bow. :wave:

·
Registered
21,514 Posts
Wish we had more around here.Not enough to fool with hunting.Sure would like a mess of them.

My wife has never ate one.

I use .22 so I don't mess up too much meat.Seen Guys use High Powerd Rifles tear them up real bad.

oneshot
:D The Big Grin likes Piggies.

·
Registered
3,869 Posts
I seen 2 Groundhog's in one day a month or so ago... near the Roadside... where fresh Grass was sprouting. I ofte see them in the Praries too.

·
Registered
21,514 Posts
Originally posted by GoGop
Most of us shoot 'em just to watch 'em blow up from the high velocity impact.

Kinda like a big prairie dog. :rotfl:
My Mom use to hunt them with a '50 Chevy Pickup.Run over them,take them home clean them, cook them up.

oneshot
:D The Big Grin likes fresh Roadkill.

·
Registered
21,514 Posts
Originally posted by cfrazee_mo
I have not seen nearly as many groundhogs here as in Indiana. Also I have never seen a chipmunk in this state! Guess there are none!
Got chipmunks all over the place down here.Drive you nuts in the Fall.

oneshot
:D The Big Grin likes Grilled Alvin.

·
Former Chicken Man
20,352 Posts
Maybe it's mostly southern Mo, but I can't tell you how many times I've been busted by chipmunks while stalking deer and squirrels. That high-pitched chirp they do lets everyone know something is wrong. :stickfight:

·
Registered
14,508 Posts
Originally posted by Bownly
Does Missouri Have Groundhogs?
Does Alaska Get Snow?

·
5,632 Posts
We've got LOADS of groundhogs here around Jeff City.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Plenty of groundhogs here in w.central mo. I have two pelts I tanned last fall man are they ever a greasy animal hard to tan. but yeah you should be able to passify your hobby and pallet. Good luck and happy hunting.

·
Registered
3,898 Posts
Lots o chipmunks in Imperial, MO...Gots to get the dog trained to chomp on the midget squirrels!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.