Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
13,957 Posts
[rquote=1544997&tid=107581&author=Gakic24]still have to take a CCL course???:thinking:[/rquote]

nope.. but you already knew that I'm sure...... :cheers:

·
2,828 Posts
If you are a POST certified officer you do not have to take ccw course, but you have to have proof of your certification and then it is up to your county sheriff , he may still make you take a course. As an instructor i would urge you to take the course because there are a lot of things covered in the course, at least in mine anyway, that are very valuable information. Boog

·
Registered
17,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
[rquote=1545000&tid=107581&author=mrb][rquote=1544997&tid=107581&author=Gakic24]still have to take a CCL course???:thinking:[/rquote]

[/rquote]

Although its a state certification, I wasnt sure if it only applied to your own jurisdiction or state...

·
Registered
13,957 Posts
[rquote=1545008&tid=107581&author=Gakic24][rquote=1545000&tid=107581&author=mrb][rquote=1544997&tid=107581&author=Gakic24]still have to take a CCL course???:thinking:[/rquote]

[/rquote]

Although its a state certification, I wasnt sure if it only applied to your own jurisdiction or state...[/rquote]

Best of my knowledge. no......

·
Registered
13,957 Posts
my cert was almost 25 years old and it went right through. might be different in other counties but Randolph didn't have a prob with it.....

just sayin':cheers::cheers:

·
just one of the idiots talking on MWT, right Red?
9,090 Posts
In 2004, the United States Congress enacted the Law Enforcement Officers Safety Act, 18 U.S. Code 926B and 926C. This federal law allows two classes of persons—the "qualified law enforcement officer" and the "qualified retired law enforcement officer"—to carry a concealed firearm in any jurisdiction in the United States, regardless of any state or local law to the contrary, with certain exceptions.

c'mon rookie, do your homework!

·
Registered
17,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
[rquote=1545030&tid=107581&author=Son_of_Cold_Duck]In 2004, the United States Congress enacted the Law Enforcement Officers Safety Act, 18 U.S. Code 926B and 926C. This federal law allows two classes of personsâ€"the "qualified law enforcement officer" and the "qualified retired law enforcement officer"â€"to carry a concealed firearm in any jurisdiction in the United States, regardless of any state or local law to the contrary, with certain exceptions.

c'mon rookie, do your homework![/rquote]

:D

What are the exception Old Wise One...:peepwall:

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
[rquote=1545050&tid=107581&author=Gakic24][rquote=1545030&tid=107581&author=Son_of_Cold_Duck]In 2004, the United States Congress enacted the Law Enforcement Officers Safety Act, 18 U.S. Code 926B and 926C. This federal law allows two classes of personsâ€"the "qualified law enforcement officer" and the "qualified retired law enforcement officer"â€"to carry a concealed firearm in any jurisdiction in the United States, regardless of any state or local law to the contrary, with certain exceptions.

c'mon rookie, do your homework![/rquote]

:D

What are the exception Old Wise One...:peepwall:[/rquote]

Thats is exactly right, ( signed by Bush by the way). The only exceptions that I'm aware of are government buildings, both state and federal. You usually just have to check in, I knoiw there are some other loop holes but they generally are not enforced.

·
Registered
4,570 Posts
[rquote=1545002&tid=107581&author=Boogan1]If you are a POST certified officer you do not have to take ccw course, but you have to have proof of your certification and then it is up to your county sheriff , he may still make you take a course. As an instructor i would urge you to take the course because there are a lot of things covered in the course, at least in mine anyway, that are very valuable information. Boog[/rquote]

What are you covering in your few hours in the CCL course that isn't covered better by an 800 - 1,200 hour police academy?

·
2,828 Posts
The main thing I am thinking about when i make that statement are the laws concerning concealed carry in missouri. I know he is asking about a LEO, but in my experience LEO's are sometimes some of the most mis informed or uninformed people out there. You wouldn't believe the number of people who ask me questions and tell me "my friend the cop told me this" or "my friend the sheriff said that", and in most instances the information is incorrect. I had a friend take a ccw course from a POST certified instructor before i started teaching, I then invited him to attend my class. After attending my class he said I covered way more material relating to the laws concerning ccw and use of lethal force than the POST instructor did. If Gakic24 get the go ahead thats great, but I would advise he at least read up on the laws. Some of them may have changed since he went to the academy. I am not saying he should have to pay to take a class, i just don't want to see the guy get in trouble for doing something he didn't know was even wrong because he didn't have all the information. Also, my ccw class lasts 10 hours because I can't cover all the material I think is important in 8 hrs. If it were up to me the ccw class would be about three days but thats just my opinion. Boog

·
just one of the idiots talking on MWT, right Red?
9,090 Posts
[rquote=1545397&tid=107581&author=Boogan1]The main thing I am thinking about when i make that statement are the laws concerning concealed carry in missouri. I know he is asking about a LEO, but in my experience LEO's are sometimes some of the most mis informed or uninformed people out there. You wouldn't believe the number of people who ask me questions and tell me "my friend the cop told me this" or "my friend the sheriff said that", and in most instances the information is incorrect. Boog[/rquote]

not to get into a p'n match but if'n you didnt hear it from the LEO themselves how is it that the LEOs are the "un/mis-informed?"
could be the friends take on the information that was given & trying to regergitate what they were told

just sayin

·
2,828 Posts
I am not going to get in a P'n match on here either, and in their defense, LEO's can't possibly keep up with every change in a law or new law that goes into effect. I am just saying i don't want to see the guy get in any trouble for doing something he didn't know was wrong and he should at least brush up on the laws. When the CCW law went into effect in missouri I figured that since this was a law that was going to have a huge impact on the LEO community they would be very well versed in it. They were not. You wouldn't believe the number that were giving out misinformation concerning a purchase permit when we still had those, and that law had been in effect since the early '70's. As far as ccw or self defense, you wouldn't believe the number of people who say, and i have heard cops say it too, "if you shoot someone outside, drag them in the house" or "if you shoot someone in the house and they don't have a weapon, put a kitchen knife in their hand". I have had several retired police officers take my course even though they could legally carry under the above mentioned law, just so they knew what the current rules and regs were. Boog

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
How about Military members? What is required for an expert rifleman attached to a Maritime Expeditionary Security Division to get a CCW?

[rquote=1545002&tid=107581&author=Boogan1]If you are a POST certified officer you do not have to take ccw course, but you have to have proof of your certification and then it is up to your county sheriff , he may still make you take a course. As an instructor i would urge you to take the course because there are a lot of things covered in the course, at least in mine anyway, that are very valuable information. Boog[/rquote]

·
Registered
8,772 Posts
No matter what the CCW class is a good thing to have under your belt. Lot of crazy laws and rules and exceptions involved that you'd probably not know otherwise.

·
Under appreciated
91,815 Posts
I think the advantage that CCW from a certified instructor in MO does for you is teaches you the rules of engagement as defined by MO statute and applied to civilian CCW holders.

You get specific information regarding your responsibilities in MO as a CCW holder.
I got mine from a very good class taught by well informed instructors and they did NOT take the statutes part lightly at all.
Very good course and I learned a lot.

LEOs have to know the civilian protocol ALONG with everything they have to know to do their job.
Thats the difference in my opinion.

I think you cheat yourself if you skip out of any training opportunities you have just because you dont think you'll learn anything... just as JackJr mentioned. MY .02. :)

·
Registered
3,866 Posts
I've had any number of retired/former LEO's come through my course and to a man, they have all said that we did a much more comprehensive job covering RSMO Chapters 563 and 571 than what they got in their training with the department. Not knocking the training that our LEO's get, just saying that the CCW course focuses ONLY on those specific chapters as they apply to firearms and concealed weapons, the use of force, and the use of deadly force by citizens. Police training, on the other hand, has to cover a much more broad range of statutes. There simply isn't enough time to spend a few hours focusing on one particular thing.

We do a class in St. Louis every month or two that is hosted by a person who is a Major with a large municipal department. He has said we go much more in depth on those specific chapters than any training he has ever received from the department. I have no reason to doubt him.

That said, here are the various criteria that can qualify you for a CCW endorsement from the State of Missouri:

571.111. 1. An applicant for a concealed carry endorsement shall demonstrate knowledge of firearms safety training. This requirement shall be fully satisfied if the applicant for a concealed carry endorsement:

(1) Submits a photocopy of a certificate of firearms safety training course completion, as defined in subsection 2 of this section, signed by a qualified firearms safety instructor as defined in subsection 5 of this section; or

(2) Submits a photocopy of a certificate that shows the applicant completed a firearms safety course given by or under the supervision of any state, county, municipal, or federal law enforcement agency; or

(3) Is a qualified firearms safety instructor as defined in subsection 5 of this section; or

(4) Submits proof that the applicant currently holds any type of valid peace officer license issued under the requirements of chapter 590, RSMo; or

(5) Submits proof that the applicant is currently allowed to carry firearms in accordance with the certification requirements of section 217.710, RSMo; or

(6) Submits proof that the applicant is currently certified as any class of corrections officer by the Missouri department of corrections and has passed at least one eight-hour firearms training course, approved by the director of the Missouri department of corrections under the authority granted to him or her by section 217.105, RSMo, that includes instruction on the justifiable use of force as prescribed in chapter 563, RSMo.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.