Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys, am I the only one who is at a crossroads with their doe management practices?

I am really having a hard time weighing what time of year is best to be taking does.

I mean early season, I believe you run the risk of burning out your spots & running out the resident bucks as well as the does. I mean you walk around tracking them, drag them out, etc, etc.

Now if you wait until after the Nov rifle portion, now you are taking does that are potentially carrying a B&C monster who will be birthed shortly.

You guys feel like chiming in?

·
Registered
17,011 Posts
i will never understand doe managment. sure, shoot one or two here or there but come on. you all act like teenagers just getting your first whiff of punani over kansas, ain't much doe killing going on there, so evidently, this whole doe management thing is a farce.:D

·
Registered
32,514 Posts
[rquote=1480068&tid=103464&author=tjmstng68]How is it any different before they "were carryin the potential B&C monster" vs while. Either way, they are no longer gonna be addign to the pop next year.[/rquote]

Agreed, whats the difference in taking a doe before or after she is bread. Either way, she can't contribute to the popluation.

·
Grrrrrrr
29,980 Posts
Actually....I don't like to shoot does until after rifle season. I figure the more does on my place when the pre rut kicks off and when does go into heat the better.

·
Registered
3,721 Posts
[rquote=1480213&tid=103464&author=archer66]Actually....I don't like to shoot does until after rifle season. I figure the more does on my place when the pre rut kicks off and when does go into heat the better. [/rquote]

I'll agree with you on one side, but I have a farm where we had too many doe. So last year we took a bunch off because there was so many doe that the bucks didn't have to look or cruise to find one. This year I saw more bucks than do even though I know the buck/doe ratio is still heavier on the doe side!

As for "doe management", I believe letting doe walk is also doe management because I also hunt farms that don't have enough doe (IMO).

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
[rquote=1480060&tid=103464&author=BowMadness]Ok guys, am I the only one who is at a crossroads with their doe management practices?

I am really having a hard time weighing what time of year is best to be taking does.

I mean early season, I believe you run the risk of burning out your spots & running out the resident bucks as well as the does. I mean you walk around tracking them, drag them out, etc, etc.

Now if you wait until after the Nov rifle portion, now you are taking does that are potentially carrying a B&C monster who will be birthed shortly.

You guys feel like chiming in?[/rquote]

A dead doe is a dead doe , no matter when you take her out of the herd . I like to take does early in the season to potentially increase the buck movement. A lower doe density during the rut increases the competition between bucks for does and intensifies the rut .

·
Jenny's Lackey
47,166 Posts
[rquote=1480060&tid=103464&author=BowMadness]

[/rquote]

So? Even if that's the case, after he's born, unless you shoot the mother, you'll more than likely never see him after the first year anyhow. Once he comes of age, momma is going to run him off. He very well could travel, 1-2 miles from where he was born.

Personally, if I intend to shoot a doe, I shoot her in the early archery season, or wait till late in the rifle season. This year, with the new doe season, following right on the heals of the regular rifle season, I'll probably wait till then to take a doe or 2.

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
Well I know they are 3 of us that bow hunt and we do not take any does, we had our chances and probley say we could of taken a lot, but how we see it the more does where we are at the more bucks are there during the rut. I will make my point I have taken a a buck this year 140 older buck, and last night my buddy took a older 8 point that is in the 140's. I helped him drap the dang thing 800 yards last night...... Last year we let all the does go and this year we see from 19-30 deer a night last night 9 bucks was seen. This year we plan on taking 4 doe late season with our bows. I guess that is a chance you take that a doe may be caring the next big one though so I see your point.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
I think you might be over thinking the whole doe managment thing. If you want a doe shoot one, if you don't then let them walk. I really do not think it matters at all if you shoot one early or late. A dead doe is a dead doe.
Typically I hunt different place in the early season vs rut. Early season I am set up on food souces, but come the rut I like to hunt funnels and travel corridors for curising bucks. I think you can hunt early and still not scare all your bucks away. Just have to be smart about it.

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
[rquote=1480477&tid=103464&author=northmobigbuck]Well I know they are 3 of us that bow hunt and we do not take any does, we had our chances and probley say we could of taken a lot, but how we see it the more does where we are at the more bucks are there during the rut. I will make my point I have taken a a buck this year 140 older buck, and last night my buddy took a older 8 point that is in the 140's. I helped him drap the dang thing 800 yards last night...... Last year we let all the does go and this year we see from 19-30 deer a night last night 9 bucks was seen. This year we plan on taking 4 doe late season with our bows. I guess that is a chance you take that a doe may be caring the next big one though so I see your point.[/rquote]

That is one of the biggest misconceptions regarding doe harvests . A lower doe population will increase the intensity of the rut because the bucks will be on their feet more looking for does.
http://www.qdma.com/articles/details.asp?id=88

·
Banned
81,616 Posts
I don't think doe numbers increase or decrease the intensity of the rut. It may somewhat change the visability of the rut. When a hormone laden buck is in the mood he is in the mood. Higher doe numbers means higher buck fawn production so it stands to reason there will be more bucks to become hormone laden. A mature buck will spend quite abit of time with a doe when she is coming in, so the more bucks ya have the more your likely to see.

Be sure and manage your doe's according to the number of doe's your seeing and not according to the number of bucks your seeing.(.02)

:cheers::cheers:

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
Radar that was a good read! Like I said we take out 3-4 does every other year. As in last night 2 friends was hunting, 34 deer seen 9 bucks, 19 does, 6 young ones. about each night they are seeing a ton of deer. The thing last night the 8 pointer in the 140's was not one of the 34 different bucks we have on film this year. I only got to hunt on opening day and saw 9 bucks, whitch one I took that was on our hit list, 14 does and 5 little ones.

I do see the other side, if you just have a very little number of does, then bucks may come a looking, but we like what we are doing because the bucks are there and they don't have to go looking and get shot 2 miles away

I have a friend and a couple of years ago he shot 11 does, came riffle season and the start of the 08 bow season, he would get all mad and say "dang I am not seeing any deer", or if he did it would be 1-2 oes. Well yeah I told him, you over kill and that is what could happen. Not just that but he goes in the timber about 2 hours to late, never sprays down and has stands 6 feet off the ground.. lol

But like I said I like how we are doing it and after taking a 150 last year, and I mist a 170, and taking two 140's 8 pointers this year that was on their down side going to stick with it!!!! Only a matter of time where I will post a B&C we have taken.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
I like to wait until late season to take a doe or 2. The way I see it every doe, are almost every doe will come into heat, bringing bucks, maybe bigboy, out into the open. Like Thurs. evening, I seen 3 bucks chasing 1 doe, and 10 min. later another buck following up. They were all 8 pointers I believe.
Then if they don't get bred on the first cycle, they'll come in again.
But to each his own.
:cheers:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.