Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
18,249 Posts
I take off the week before our gun season starts. After the guns start going off deer activity and natural behavior is pretty much done and gone.

·
Registered
3,763 Posts
I always make the weekend before gun season a 4 or 5 day weekend It seems like that has been the best time for seeing the big boys and at all times of the day. I pack a lunch and spend the whole day on stand. Last fall I saw 5 mature bucks during that 4 day period and one day had 7 differnt bucks around the stand at the same time.

·
5,631 Posts
I'm gonna agree with these guys about the week before gun season. That period of time wins...hands down. I made a 5 day weekend out of it last year and I plan to do the same this year.

·
Registered
18,249 Posts
my second choice would be the weekend or 3 4 days around Thanksgiving. I always see big boys around Thanksgiving.

·
Registered
786 Posts
I save some vacation time every year for deer season.
I usually try for a long weekend before gun season; it's close enough to the rut and the guns haven't spooked them much yet. Then I take the whole week of gun season; with hunting and butchering I'm usually plenty busy.
Good luck!:cheers:

·
Jenny's Lackey
47,760 Posts
This is the greatest part of being self employeed. I don't have to fight with co workers for days off. What's even better is that since Jenny works with me, she can hunt a lot during that time as well. I've not booked any major work for the middle 2 weeks of October, & the 2 weeks before gun season. Opening week of gun season, I'll be working, including opening day probably.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Nov. 6-10 and some of the week of Nov. 13 depending on whether I'm bucked out. I pack a lunch and hunt all day every day (unless I have to cut a buck up). Nov. 8 is historically the date that the most B&C bucks are killed in Illinios. (it's also the day I killed one of my 165" deer)

·
Registered
640 Posts
I agree with what's already been posted. The 7th, 8th, and 9th of November always seem like magical days in the deer woods. I hunt the hardest from the last week in October up to the first Monday of gun season and then again Thanksgiving weekend. I have killed more deer the weekend before gun season than I can even count. I think all but maybe 2 or 3 of my bucks have been the last weekend before gun season.

If I haven't already tagged a buck, my vacation time will be used the week leading up to the opener of gun season.

:wave::cheers:

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
47,454 Posts
What's vacation? I haven't had one of those in years.:boohoo:

·
Registered
8,764 Posts
As stated before the week before rifle season and opening weekend of rifle season. I also used to really like the last two weeks of the season in January when we got snow and had real cold weather. That hasn't happened very often lately.:frown:

Jack

·
Registered
835 Posts
This is my first year bow hunting, so I will have to let you know later on that. Every camp/area is a little different, keep that in mind. As for gun season, I go the second weekend. If you can get a deer opening morning, your in good shape. The rest of that weekend is tough. So many gun shots on Sat. morning, they go crazy looking for a place to hide, once they have, they bed down and don't move. By Wed. or Thurs. they have calmed down a little and resume some of their past habbits. I will agree that you won't see the big bucks around, mostly Does, but I am a meat hunter, not a trophy seeker. As for days off, I take one day off to lock in my other days off from the fire department.

·
Registered
7,519 Posts
For me in my area, I like all the weekends of October, the week before Rifle, Monday and Tuesday of Rifle, come back to work to rest(uhhh I mean work) on Wednesday, work Thursday and then hunt Friday through Sunday. Once those deer start rutting they could be out there and run in front of you at any time..
Most of our neighbors are weekenders so the deer can somewhat not run for their lives by the end of rifle week..

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.