Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
18,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Saturday we had almost 70 degree temps and I decided to walk back to my wanna be food plot to see if the deer had found my turnips yet. While walking in the plot I noticed a strong pungent smell almost like they were rotting? The deer had not been in them that I could tell but I also have a large area of just plain old rye grass that they have eatten down to almost nothing. lost of deer poop in the grass.
Any thoughts as to what gives with the smell and why they havent touch the turnips?

·
Registered
18,522 Posts
they sure will rot, but when I planted them, (3-years ago) it was later...say March before they were rotten. I guess it just depends on the year. The deer never ate them and they just laid there and rotted while the possum tore em up.!!!!!

·
Registered
18,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I planted these late like sept. Never produced much in the way of an actual turnip but I figured they would eat the tops?

·
Registered
18,764 Posts
They will give off a pretty strong odor long before they rot and if some bulbs are exposed they may be rotting sooner.

·
White Board Man
14,380 Posts
Originally posted by Hoytshooter
They will give off a pretty strong odor long before they rot and if some bulbs are exposed they may be rotting sooner.
I was about to say that, they stink bad too

·
Registered
12,608 Posts
Yep they will be smelling pretty good come early Spring. That is if there are any left over by the deer. The first year we planted ours it stunk like crazy, but since then the deer don't leave any behind to stink.

·
Registered
18,522 Posts
Originally posted by hunter7x
I planted these late like sept. Never produced much in the way of an actual turnip but I figured they would eat the tops?
yep, the deer ate the tops and I planted those turnips that year in either late august or september. I had HUGE turnips that just laid there and rotted. You can smell them from quite a way away. I woudl imagine that the deer develop a taste for them overtime if they are planted yearly. :cheers:

·
Registered
17,089 Posts
They plain ole stink and the deer haven't touched any plantings I have done. I've given up on them. Tried them on our farm for three years and here locally two years. Minor nibbling was all I've seen.

·
Registered
18,764 Posts
Brassicas preference among deer really amazes me. They absolutely tear mine up. There isn't a top left when they start hitting them and they even start on the bulbs.

A guy has to realize before planting a big plot though that the bulbs aren't the plot and it shouldn't be expected that the deer are going to eat them anyway. If they do that's just a bonus.

·
Registered
18,522 Posts
Originally posted by Hoytshooter
Brassicas preference among deer really amazes me. They absolutely tear mine up. There isn't a top left when they start hitting them and they even start on the bulbs.

A guy has to realize before planting a big plot though that the bulbs aren't the plot and it shouldn't be expected that the deer are going to eat them anyway. If they do that's just a bonus.
I noticed that first hand with the bio-logic fall premium perennial. They will tear up the top of rape and turnips. I may try turnips another time or two, but if they don't work out I will just stick to the rape since I know the tops are dynamite.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Some of mine that have been half eaten are rotting in the field and stinking. But there are still plenty of good ones that the deer are eating like crazy right now. I watched 22 deer come out last night and head straight for the turnips.

And they started eating the tops long before the first frost and were gone a few weeks ago.

·
Registered
12,608 Posts
The deer on our place start eating bulbs before they freeze also. My step mom shot a big doe two years ago that had her head up in the air trying to swallow a bulb. She said it looked about like one of those storks trying to swallow a fish.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts