Do I Hunt The Wind Right Now?

Discussion in '2011 Whitetail General' started by Mailman, Nov 2, 2010.

1. Mailman

Mailman Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2005
    Blue Springs Mo
    I'd say that hunting the wind direction is a good thing to do 95% of the time but what does a fella do when the bucks are pushing the does in all different directions during the major part of the rut? Should I wait till the wind is coming in to my stand in the "Right Direction" for that particular stand or should I just go no matter what direction the wind is coming from. This coming week especially on my place in the timber the deer come in from all directions be it north, south, east or west. They are running wild it seems.

2. Meller

Meller Well-Known Member

Sep 5, 2008
    go to your best spot and spray down good. Thats what I always do though

3. Mailman

Feb 2, 2005
    Blue Springs Mo
    [rquote=1876081&tid=130675&author=MellerAM]go to your best spot and spray down good. Thats what I always do though[/rquote]

I've never used any spray before but I did pick up a half gallon of the stuff this summer. Guess I'll give it a testing.

4. PoisonSnake

PoisonSnake Active Member

Dec 16, 2004
    Australia
    I take my chances this time of the year.

5. Mailman

Feb 2, 2005
    Blue Springs Mo
    Figure I can't get that big buck sitting here in the basement in my Man Room.

I've been reading today of some guys not going out because the wind is not coming from the right direction and they are waiting till it changes to a more favorable direction. I personally don't think that doe that is being chased by that honery buck will check the wind direction when she picks that escape route.

6. coyotehunter

coyotehunter PURE KILLER

Jan 19, 2005
    mexico,mo.
    you always hunt the wind mm:mad2: of course they migh have some fear of me tonight,because i might smell a bit coyotyish:D

7. letemgrow

letemgrow Active Member

I just try to figure out where they come from most of the time and hunt those stands then. During the rut I keep the same pace and eventually they push one by from the wrong direction but are usually preoccupied so getting a wiff is not on their mind.

They are very one track minded and if they don't get a full wiff of ya, they don't even seem to notice as they are focused in on the doe and the doe is just trying to get away from them. :cheers:

8. hunter7x

hunter7x New Member

Oct 22, 2002
    Indiana
    [rquote=1876088&tid=130675&author=Mailman][rquote=1876081&tid=130675&author=MellerAM]go to your best spot and spray down good. Thats what I always do though[/rquote]

I've never used any spray before but I did pick up a half gallon of the stuff this summer. Guess I'll give it a testing.[/rquote]

open the bottle and look inside MM. It does go bad. every bottle Ive ever tried to save from one year to the next gets mold in it.

I still check the wind direction when picking a stand but I agree you just never know where they will come from or go to this time of year when chasing hard.

9. Mailman

Feb 2, 2005
    Blue Springs Mo
    [rquote=1876118&tid=130675&author=hunter7x][rquote=1876088&tid=130675&author=Mailman][rquote=1876081&tid=130675&author=MellerAM]go to your best spot and spray down good. Thats what I always do though[/rquote]

I've never used any spray before but I did pick up a half gallon of the stuff this summer. Guess I'll give it a testing.[/rquote]

open the bottle and look inside MM. It does go bad. every bottle Ive ever tried to save from one year to the next gets mold in it.

I still check the wind direction when picking a stand but I agree you just never know where they will come from or go to this time of year when chasing hard. [/rquote]

You speak of spraying down good....you do mean cover scent and not doe in estrus stuff...right?

10. clansey

clansey New Member

Feb 6, 2005
    Bozeman, MT
    I'm one of those guys that will do everything I can to access my stand undetected and hunt with the wind in my favor 100% of the time. I would rather hunt an area of low deer density with the wind than hunt the high density area and get winded. Just my :02: Good luck and I hope you find a big guy! :cheers:

11. Meller

Meller Well-Known Member

Sep 5, 2008
    yea scent killer, etc.. I like the stuff that smells like dirt

12. hunter7x

hunter7x New Member

Oct 22, 2002
    Indiana
    yes the scent killer stuff. I threw out a bottle of scent shield and a bottle of primos stuff this year due to mold growing in it.

13. Mailman

Feb 2, 2005
    Blue Springs Mo
    [rquote=1876163&tid=130675&author=MellerAM]yea scent killer, etc.. I like the stuff that smells like dirt[/rquote]

If I had some dirt on my place instead of rocks I'd roll in it prior to heading into the stand.:D

14. hunter7x

hunter7x New Member

Oct 22, 2002
    Indiana
    [rquote=1876167&tid=130675&author=Mailman][rquote=1876163&tid=130675&author=MellerAM]yea scent killer, etc.. I like the stuff that smells like dirt[/rquote]

If I had some dirt on my place instead of rocks I'd roll in it prior to heading into the stand.:D[/rquote]

I just fall down a couple of times on the way in in the dark.
    :D

15. Mailman

Feb 2, 2005
    Blue Springs Mo
    [rquote=1876165&tid=130675&author=hunter7x] yes the scent killer stuff. I threw out a bottle of scent shield and a bottle of primos stuff this year due to mold growing in it. [/rquote]

This stuff is clear liquid that came in a half gallon jug and I poured some in a smaller spray bottle that fits in my back pack. Seemed like water and no mold that I could see. It may have very well been water for all I know....:shrug: I've been duped before.

16. letemgrow

letemgrow Active Member

I make my own scent killer using 30% hydrogen peroxide, hs soap, baking soda and water...mix up a gallon for a few bucks that way :cheers:

17. hunter7x

hunter7x New Member

Oct 22, 2002
    Indiana
    [rquote=1876176&tid=130675&author=Mailman][rquote=1876165&tid=130675&author=hunter7x] yes the scent killer stuff. I threw out a bottle of scent shield and a bottle of primos stuff this year due to mold growing in it. [/rquote]

This stuff is clear liquid that came in a half gallon jug and I poured some in a smaller spray bottle that fits in my back pack. Seemed like water and no mold that I could see. It may have very well been water for all I know....:shrug: I've been duped before.[/rquote]

yup looks like water. spray it into your eyes to check to see if its something else. I did that this year too. :stickfight: stings pretty good lol
    the mold usually comes when i try to use a bottle I used the previous season.

18. rat

rat Legbone

Dec 13, 2005
    I put a couple of aspirins in my scent killer spray if its gonna be stored for very long... its a decent biocide and at least I think it helps from fuzzys growing.
    Cheap enough, so why not.

0.25% by volume of chlorine bleach would be an effective biocide too although I dont know if its enough to fade camo and stuff.

19. hunter7x

hunter7x New Member

Oct 22, 2002
    Indiana
    [rquote=1876191&tid=130675&author=rat]I put a couple of aspirins in my scent killer spray if its gonna be stored for very long... its a decent biocide and at least I think it helps from fuzzys growing.

0.25% by volume of chlorine bleach would be an effective biocide too although I dont know if its enough to fade camo and stuff. [/rquote]

well yer pretty smart thanks for the tip!

20. rat

rat Legbone

Dec 13, 2005
    [rquote=1876192&tid=130675&author=hunter7x][rquote=1876191&tid=130675&author=rat]I put a couple of aspirins in my scent killer spray if its gonna be stored for very long... its a decent biocide and at least I think it helps from fuzzys growing.

0.25% by volume of chlorine bleach would be an effective biocide too although I dont know if its enough to fade camo and stuff. [/rquote]

well yer pretty smart thanks for the tip! [/rquote]
    I think most of the scent killer sprays are just a suspension of baking soda... I always say I'm gonna brew my own like Phil does but I never seem to get around to it.